New Alien First Person Shooter in development @ Cold Iron Studios

Started by Moosh89, Jan 17, 2018, 05:20:48 PM

Author
New Alien First Person Shooter in development @ Cold Iron Studios (Read 154,321 times)

toro

the game awards event is happening december 6..geoff keighley - the producer posted a tweet on november 1 saying 'worlds will change' on december 6, with an image showing a w that conspicuously looked like weyland - then when the tweets showing kojima at fox with the alien egg showed up, the game awards replied to it saying 'worlds will change' again

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Via Matt on Twitter >> https://twitter.com/MattFiler/status/953783890744881152

Where'd that come from mate?

toro

toro

this guy appears to be a student in the uk, i wonder how he knows this
and please tell me i'm not the only one who can make no sense of that sketch

Corporal Hicks

From what I've read looks like it's all info from LinkdIn stalking?

MattFiler

MattFiler

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 25, 2018, 07:18:59 AM
Via Matt on Twitter >> https://twitter.com/MattFiler/status/953783890744881152

Where'd that come from mate?

If you notice, I tweeted that back in January on the first official announcement. Got excited about the news and did some digging around. Here are a few of the sources for that info...

"...we put together a pitch, built a great prototype, got fully-funded, and are now building an unstoppable team. We're working hard on a AAA online action game that is literally out of this world..." (December 2016)

You may also say that image is not verified to be from the Alien game which is a fair shout, but it's from the CEO of Cold Iron who as far as we know is only working on this Alien title, and likely nothing else since they're only a small studio. It was posted in June 2017 when they'd have been at least 6/7 months (likely more by the wording of the previous quote) into development. It mentions final art for some sections of map so clearly it was quite far along even back then.

There were a few more sources if you want me to dig them out, but I think that's enough to prove the info is trustworthy!

toro

that is some top class investigatory work, so thanks
looks like it is indeed going to be an online focused title then

MattFiler

Quote from: toro on Nov 25, 2018, 08:28:03 AM
this guy appears to be a student in the uk, i wonder how he knows this
and please tell me i'm not the only one who can make no sense of that sketch

Yeah I'm a game dev student but that has no connection with my knowledge for this game :)

The image is just rough sketches that has clearly been through a lot of iterations! Most is pretty garbled without seeing the rest of it, however you can make out a couple interesting things:

• They mention "roomsets" which are typically sets of assets that can be re-purposed to build levels easily. For example in Alien: Isolation they have Science/Engineering/Habitation/Municipal/Technical "roomsets" which are used in each area of the game to provide a consistent design and visually show the player the location they're in (or in Isolation's case, which tower/level of Sevastopol you're in).
  • There is also a stretch of "final art" which is interesting since this was posted back in June 2017. Game levels go through a number of stages: whitebox, placeholder art, final art. Sometimes even more stages in-between. To be at a final art stage back then adds a lot of validity to the fact that we may be seeing something from the game soon (a year and a half after that pic).
  • It shows a number of other shorthands which I don't understand, and also a few size measurements of assets. The numbers at the top 255,254,253,252 could be some sort of character/player index (255 is typically a number used in reference to networking) - but that's pure speculation.

Quote from: toro on Nov 25, 2018, 11:48:47 AM
that is some top class investigatory work, so thanks
looks like it is indeed going to be an online focused title then

Cheers!

Yeah seems to be online focused but I don't think I've come across mentions of specifically online-only. There is hope for some story aspect.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: MattFiler on Nov 25, 2018, 11:15:26 AM
There were a few more sources if you want me to dig them out, but I think that's enough to prove the info is trustworthy!

Not at all, Matt. I'd just missed or forgotten your tweet from January. Was curious as to where it'd come from. Nice sleuthing work! I wonder if we're actually close to a release then if they've been working on it that long.

MattFiler

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 25, 2018, 11:55:46 AM
Quote from: MattFiler on Nov 25, 2018, 11:15:26 AM

Not at all, Matt. I'd just missed or forgotten your tweet from January. Was curious as to where it'd come from. Nice sleuthing work! I wonder if we're actually close to a release then if they've been working on it that long.

It seems that it has been in full production for just over two years, maybe closer to three. Typical dev cycle averages around four years, so it is likely this is a proper announcement of the game and details about its features. With the Kojima visit recently I'd guess they're close to public demos, so it may even be at The Game Awards playable, who knows?

toro

what do you think the chances are they'll announce a release for next alien day?

MattFiler

Quote from: toro on Nov 25, 2018, 12:05:33 PM
what do you think the chances are they'll announce a release for next alien day?

That's a good shout, especially since it's Alien's 40th anniversary year (would explain the title not being "Aliens: Blackout").

April would be a nice launch date since it's not a very crowded month, but it's not a typical release window due to a number of reasons.

Just have to wait and see.

toro

only a couple weeks and fingers crossed we'll know more. as long as it has at least some story elements i am cool with an online shooter

sidenote- in your opinion how far away are we from photo real graphics on consoles?

MattFiler

Quote from: toro on Nov 25, 2018, 12:12:30 PM
only a couple weeks and fingers crossed we'll know more. as long as it has at least some story elements i am cool with an online shooter

sidenote- in your opinion how far away are we from photo real graphics on consoles?

In my opinion this game will be set Prometheus-era so I'm sure there will be some story to it. Total speculation on that though.

The question of "photo-real" graphics is a tricky one and depends entirely on the engine used, quality of assets, and skill of the team involved. It's getting closer with real-time ray tracing becoming a reality, but it's also totally down to the quality of a studio's art and animation team to make things seem realistic enough. With current tech its quite easy to fall into the uncanny valley.

Also, for anyone else doing any digging on the game, be aware "alienblackout.com" is the only official site (nothing live there yet).

There is also "alienblackout.co.uk", but that is unofficial and owned by me. Thanks Fox for only buying one domain!

toro

i ask because other than being a gamer i have no expertise at all on this, and i quite graphics focused. i think isolation holds up well for being a four year old game. do you think we could expect with this team, and the unreal engine 4, graphics on the level of something like god of war 4?

also in your opinion, which video game do you think has the best graphics thus far? i mentioned gow4, but i still have a fondness for how pretty the order: 1886 is

MattFiler

MattFiler

Quote from: toro on Nov 25, 2018, 12:20:44 PM
i ask because other than being a gamer i have no expertise at all on this, and i quite graphics focused. i think isolation holds up well for being a four year old game. do you think we could expect with this team, and the unreal engine 4, graphics on the level of something like god of war 4?

also in your opinion, which video game do you think has the best graphics thus far? i mentioned gow4, but i still have a fondness for how pretty the order: 1886 is

Ignoring demos, Battlefield 5 with real-time ray tracing enabled is probably the best full scale production game graphically at the moment. Alien: Isolation uses a custom engine named "Cathode" which was very good for its time in terms of lighting ability. I think the new God of War uses the PhyreEngine which I'm under an NDA for so :-X.

Like I say it's totally down to the team working on the game to get it to look good. In the right hands UE4 can produce some amazing results.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed