2014 Comic Con Interviews

Started by happypred, Sep 02, 2014, 07:15:09 AM

Author
2014 Comic Con Interviews (Read 1,801 times)

happypred

happypred

Dunno if these interviews have been posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSkeoUOoce0

Some interesting points:

1. Galgo and Ahab think they need each other to survive. This likely means an uneasy alliance between the two

2. The AvP guy is more of an alien fan

3. However, the reason he likes aliens more (apart from their "timeless" design) is that aliens murder for no reason. Thus I'm inclined to think that he views aliens as animalistic killing machines. According to him, aliens operate on the level of "you're alive, I'm gonna kill you"

4. The AvP guy says the DH team hasn't used the AvP films as canon. This is a little different from "the AvP films aren't canon"
However...yeah, this is old news. It has gotten to me thinking though...does this mean they're ignoring all previous AvP lore? Could this mean that in Fire & Stone, predators and aliens might be encountering each other for the first time? I'm not sure how I feel about that. If that were the case, it would be a true re-boot 

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: happypred on Sep 02, 2014, 07:15:09 AM
3. However, the reason he likes aliens more (apart from their "timeless" design) is that aliens murder for no reason. Thus I'm inclined to think that he views aliens as animalistic killing machines. According to him, aliens operate on the level of "you're alive, I'm gonna kill you"

Urgh. The only thing that makes me truly annoyed.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

1. Galgo and Ahab think they need each other to survive. This likely means an uneasy alliance between the two

We kind of called that months ago.

4. The AvP guy says the DH team hasn't used the AvP films as canon. This is a little different from "the AvP films aren't canon"
However...yeah, this is old news. It has gotten to me thinking though...does this mean they're ignoring all previous AvP lore? Could this mean that in Fire & Stone, predators and aliens might be encountering each other for the first time? I'm not sure how I feel about that. If that were the case, it would be a true re-boot

It's not surprising that Sebela has said that he's not treating the AvP films as canon. As a matter of fact, he has actually gone to say that he is ignoring all previous Alien vs. Predator stories and encounters. In fact, this was reported long ago since the first bit of news came out in October 2013. Numerous times has he stated that he wanted to start something fresh and new. To further corroborate this, even editor Scott Allie said that it was a hard reboot.

In fact, this is further corroborated with a statement which Dark Horse president Mike Richard said at the AMA Reddit-- and this is verbatim:

"We're basically starting over with these new books."

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/25z06w/iam_mike_richardson_publisher_and_founder_of_dark/chm54bv

So if you take Sebela's statements, Scott Allie's statements and Mike Richardson's statement.. We ARE looking at a full reboot. Might as well start either considering this as a separate timeline from the AvP films and the old EU.

SM

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 02, 2014, 07:39:38 AM

Urgh. The only thing that makes me truly annoyed.

Why?  It recalls a simpler time when my Alien novelisation bore the legend 'It killed to live; and lived to kill'.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I just prefer the notion of them being less animalistic and more alien.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 02, 2014, 08:53:15 AM
I just prefer the notion of them being less animalistic and more alien.

Would you be for or against a portrayal of the xenomorphs as "tool folk"...as in the xenomorphs have their own strange civilisation and the creature in Alien is basically the equivalent of a newborn human?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

If the tools were biomechnical in nature, sure. As in grown or formed from themselves in some twisted manner. I'm all up for that.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I'm actually pretty excited that they might be inventing some new lore to bring the Predators and xenomorphs together. The old AvP stuff was great, but there's nothing wrong with a new take after almost 25 years.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Ultramorph on Sep 02, 2014, 01:50:20 PM
I'm actually pretty excited that they might be inventing some new lore to bring the Predators and xenomorphs together. The old AvP stuff was great, but there's nothing wrong with a new take after almost 25 years.

I was hoping that they get creative and come up with their own stuff but I was also hoping that this new stuff doesn't directly contradict the old stuff. Different but not contradictory

I don't however think that the new AvP comic will be a re-booted first encounter between preds and xenos. I hope that by the time of AvP 2014, the preds have hunted the aliens for centuries if not millennia. I just like the idea of predators and xenormorphs having a long history together

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on Sep 05, 2014, 05:55:33 AM
I don't however think that the new AvP comic will be a re-booted first encounter between preds and xenos. I hope that by the time of AvP 2014, the preds have hunted the aliens for centuries if not millennia. I just like the idea of predators and xenormorphs having a long history together

I think that is something that they will keep, but as far as the old stories go.. like the storylines with Dachande and Machiko, I don't think that those are no longer relevant and according to interviews with the writers, they won't be revisiting those characters or those storylines. I'm sure that this is definitely a hard reboot, but they may keep the idea of Aliens and Predators having a long history.

Just not perhaps the same history which we know that might've been relevant some twenty five or so years ago.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed