Ridley Scott Wants to “Scare the Shit Out of People"

Started by Stolen, Jun 21, 2016, 08:14:21 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Wants to “Scare the Shit Out of People" (Read 35,801 times)

Mr. Clemens

It always baffles me that people will say that 'everyone hated Prometheus'. Ebert himself gave it four stars (I can't recall if that's out of four or five), and he'd seen a movie or two in his day.

Though it is unfortunate that Scott used the exact same sentence to describe this film. If he'd said "I want to terrify people" we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion.

But whiterabbit is right: what does Scott want to do with all of this shit? And couldn't he just ask us for it? Why must he scare it out of us?  :P

NickisSmart

I have faith. I liked Prometheus. It was millions of times better than most movies that get released. Yeah, it's flawed, but a flaw diamond from Scott is still a diamond, not a polished piece of shit.

Nostromo

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jun 23, 2016, 11:04:58 PM
I have faith. I liked Prometheus. It was millions of times better than most movies that get released. Yeah, it's flawed, but a flaw diamond from Scott is still a diamond, not a polished piece of shit.

Absolutely agree with everything you just said. For me Prometheus is a masterpiece as well. Some acting flaws but still one of my favorite movies of all time. I didn't watch it to find answers, I watched it to find more mystery.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Nostromo on Jun 23, 2016, 11:21:33 PM

Absolutely agree with everything you just said. For me Prometheus is a masterpiece as well. Some acting flaws but still one of my favorite movies of all time. I didn't watch it to find answers, I watched it to find more mystery.

Hear, hear. Prometheus is on the same echelon as Alien and Aliens, for me. I might even like it a bit more than those two.

whiterabbit

Holy shit! Go Go Prometheus fans. I didn't know so many of you existed... wait just one goddamn minute here... where the f**k were all of you when the movie was released back in 2012? :P

Still I don't think the mindless morons were by accident. Scott's predicting a future where scientist are morons and the jury's still out on that one.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 24, 2016, 12:29:16 AM
Holy shit! Go Go Prometheus fans. I didn't know so many of you existed... wait just one goddamn minute here... where the f**k were all of you when the movie was released back in 2012? :P

Still I don't think the mindless morons were by accident. Scott's predicting a future where scientist are morons and the jury's still out on that one.

I was at the theater watching it. 2 times actually. Probably seen it another 10 times at least on blu ray. It has great replayability factor. That music score is great too. Would have been cool to see the deacon chase and kill Vickers than go after Shaw and David in the end. There's no way the deacon went on board the 2nd derelict?

I'd like to see a new space crew land and pick up the deacon without knowing it.

whiterabbit

I took my entire apartment building to see it... well everyone that wanted to go anyways. I left the theater is utter disappointment and embarrassment. Mainly because I had no idea what I had just seen and couldn't explain any of it. Although I like the movie it was mediocre and probably suffered from the alien connection. The music score wasn't that great. It had many missed beats. Although things like albino engineers and the deacon are ok to me. It looked great but in a way, it looked too damn good for it's own good. A good movie but definitely not what most of us went out looking for. Almost as if the tagline was a warning that we misinterpreted. In any case the movie is definitely a good picture.

The deacon could actually appear in A:C. RS could pull a Jurassic Park III on us. nah I just kid. :P

windebieste

Quote from: Nostromo on Jun 24, 2016, 12:40:20 AM
I'd like to see a new space crew land and pick up the deacon without knowing it.

I'd say this is a major plot point of the new movie.  I'd be surprised if Weyland left on his expedition without telling anyone.  That, and the fact that the birth of the Deacon is the closing moment of the movie is akin to a cliffhanger is a portent for its reappearance at some point in the future.

Would it be outside the realm of possibility for the Deacon to wind up on board the Covenant - or some other rescue mission to LV-223?  That will seriously mess things up, hey.

-Windebieste.

mace-in-the-face

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jun 23, 2016, 05:20:30 AM
Ridley? Meh, I don't think he gives a shit. The guy's a master. Steve Jobs took other people's work and sold it off as his own. :P

And what do you think Prometheus was? It was just a rip off of several different movies that were once regarded as "Alien Rip-offs".

Giger Beast

Quote from: Nostromo on Jun 23, 2016, 11:21:33 PM

Agreed. Mystery is a huge part of why I love Alien.

Love Prometheus, probably more than Aliens.

SiL

Quote from: mace-in-the-face on Jun 24, 2016, 04:09:37 AM
And what do you think Prometheus was? It was just a rip off of several different movies that were once regarded as "Alien Rip-offs".
Prometheus is mostly recycling a lot of ideas that didn't make it into Alien.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jun 23, 2016, 09:35:44 PM
It always baffles me that people will say that 'everyone hated Prometheus'. Ebert himself gave it four stars (I can't recall if that's out of four or five), and he'd seen a movie or two in his day.

I think it's more the vocal fans that disliked it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not particularly fond of Prometheus myself but I think people really underestimate the actual, wider reaction to the film.

Quote from: SiL on Jun 24, 2016, 06:42:03 AM
Quote from: mace-in-the-face on Jun 24, 2016, 04:09:37 AM
Prometheus is mostly recycling a lot of ideas that didn't make it into Alien.

Probably one of the more interesting angles for me. Just a shame they didn't come across as interesting as those concepts actually sounded (or looked, in the case of the artwork).

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jun 23, 2016, 09:35:44 PM

He also completely dissed Blade Runner when it was first released.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 24, 2016, 07:23:48 AM
I think it's more the vocal fans that disliked it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not particularly fond of Prometheus myself but I think people really underestimate the actual, wider reaction to the film.

I find it's mostly the younger folk who really liked it. They are more easily swayed by all the pretty CGI and shiny things. Older folk who's had a little bit more time to develop a sense of good taste tend to be much more critical towards the film.

BishopShouldGo

Well a lot of Prometheus is practical, but the effects both real and CGI are breathtaking. Even if you remove the film's aesthetics, its greatness is still preserved. For me at least.

The usual complaints with Prometheus(snake, straight line, Weyland makeup) don't bother me at all.

426Buddy

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 24, 2016, 04:14:40 PM
I find it's mostly the younger folk who really liked it. They are more easily swayed by all the pretty CGI and shiny things. Older folk who's had a little bit more time to develop a sense of good taste tend to be much more critical towards the film.

There is so much wrong with that statement.

I'm middle of the road when it comes to prometheus, but the assumptions people make about the fans of this film still amaze me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed