Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 187,790 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

That's because the novelizations are based off of the comics that had Newt and Hicks in them.

Billie and Wilks are their replacements in the comics (post Alien 3) in the newer edited editions, and the Perry's had to work away around Billie and Wilks backstory on their own.  The comics didn't try as hard and even left some characters from the 426 squad the same (Drake, Frost, and Vasquez) for the squad on Rim.  Naturally, this is a distraction to anybody who has seen Aliens.

They also at least attempted to explain the Ripley situation in the third arc of the series.  Something the comic didnt even bother with.

Locke

Locke

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 12, 2010, 04:47:41 AM
That's because the novelizations are based off of the comics that had Newt and Hicks in them.

Billie and Wilks are their replacements in the comics (post Alien 3) in the newer edited editions, and the Perry's had to work away around Billie and Wilks backstory on their own.  The comics didn't try as hard and even left some characters from the 426 squad the same (Drake, Frost, and Vasquez) for the squad on Rim.  Naturally, this is a distraction to anybody who has seen Aliens.

They also at least attempted to explain the Ripley situation in the third arc of the series.  Something the comic didnt even bother with.

I'm in no way bashing the books at all. In fact, they are on my top ten list of favorites. I'm just confused on some of the details.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I didn't think you were. 

Its just most people don't know that the comics came first, and that the novels were based in their "scripts".

Thus things being similar are somewhat deliberate because the comics initial run featured Hicks and Newt. 

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 14, 2010, 06:18:05 AM
Thus things being similar are somewhat deliberate because the comics initial run featured Hicks and Newt.
It's a good thing that they were "remastered" into "Wilks" and "Billie", and their adventures were on "Rim". That's much more honest (and less trite) than resorting to the "alternate universe" cheat that's been plaguing comics (and other media) for decades.

Locke

Locke

Quote from: maledoro on Feb 15, 2010, 02:24:41 PM
It's a good thing that they were "remastered" into "Wilks" and "Billie", and their adventures were on "Rim". That's much more honest (and less trite) than resorting to the "alternate universe" cheat that's been plaguing comics (and other media) for decades.

If I understand what you mean, it's like the Star Trek phenomenon right? With six or seven different Enterprises. Right? Is that what your talking about?

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Locke on Feb 16, 2010, 12:23:41 AM
If I understand what you mean, it's like the Star Trek phenomenon right? With six or seven different Enterprises. Right? Is that what your talking about?
I don't know... What "six or seven different Enterprises" do you mean?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: maledoro on Feb 15, 2010, 02:24:41 PM

I sense sarcasm.

Its never officially stated what Fox's take on the Aliens comic series is, but most fans do seem to throw it into its own timeline outside of the movies.

Ultimately, DH tried, but not particularly hard.  The bantam novelist tried a little harder, but I'm also sure they probably couldn't get too far away from the comics for licensing issues.

Locke

Locke

Quote from: maledoro on Feb 16, 2010, 01:56:14 AM
Quote from: Locke on Feb 16, 2010, 12:23:41 AM
I don't know... What "six or seven different Enterprises" do you mean?

You mentioned the "other universe" excuse some authors use for things that don't make sense. I was talking about the multiple universes that are in Star Trek. I was trying to understand what you were talking about. Sorry for the confusion :D

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 16, 2010, 02:57:57 AM
I sense sarcasm.
No. I really am glad that they had made an effort to sidestep an alternate universe explanation.

Its never officially stated what Fox's take on the Aliens comic series is, but most fans do seem to throw it into its own timeline outside of the movies.
I don't care who decides that it's in another universe (whether it's Fox or the fans), I'm just saying that it's an old cheat no matter who does it.

Quote from: Locke on Feb 16, 2010, 03:59:47 AM
You mentioned the "other universe" excuse some authors use for things that don't make sense. I was talking about the multiple universes that are in Star Trek. I was trying to understand what you were talking about. Sorry for the confusion :D
I always thought that the main characters were in "our" universe. Granted, they would visit other universes, but it's like:

Fan 1: "Wait a minute! Didn't that guy die last season?"
Fan 2: "Nah! Well, uh, yeah."
Fan 1: "Dude! WTF?!"
Fan 2: "Okay. In 'our universe', he died. The Nincompoop entered another universe where that universe's Nincompoop was mostly destroyed. They boarded the ship and found one survivor who was that universe's Ensign Skippy. Since they were missing an Ensign Skippy of their own, they asked him if he would like to join their crew and..."
Fan 1: "Dude! Just shut up! My head hurts..."

The confusion is all mine, as I don't follow Trek.
:)

Locke

Locke

Quote from: maledoro on Feb 16, 2010, 12:05:02 PM
I sense sarcasm.
No. I really am glad that they had made an effort to sidestep an alternate universe explanation.

I don't care who decides that it's in another universe (whether it's Fox or the fans), I'm just saying that it's an old cheat no matter who does it.

Quote from: Locke on Feb 16, 2010, 03:59:47 AM
I always thought that the main characters were in "our" universe. Granted, they would visit other universes, but it's like:

Fan 1: "Wait a minute! Didn't that guy die last season?"
Fan 2: "Nah! Well, uh, yeah."
Fan 1: "Dude! WTF?!"
Fan 2: "Okay. In 'our universe', he died. The Nincompoop entered another universe where that universe's Nincompoop was mostly destroyed. They boarded the ship and found one survivor who was that universe's Ensign Skippy. Since they were missing an Ensign Skippy of their own, they asked him if he would like to join their crew and..."
Fan 1: "Dude! Just shut up! My head hurts..."

The confusion is all mine, as I don't follow Trek.
:)
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. I'm not a Trekie either, I just know a little about the series.

maledoro

maledoro

But, still, that's what hack writers do when they're painted into a plot corner. It's just a modern form of Deus ex Machina.

Locke

Locke

Quote from: maledoro on Feb 18, 2010, 01:51:18 AM
But, still, that's what hack writers do when they're painted into a plot corner. It's just a modern form of Deus ex Machina.

Yeah, I can see where your coming from. The fact that Mr. Perry didn't do it is one of the reasons I appreciate him as an author.

SM

SM

Pretty sure I read that Senor Perry would've preferred to keep Hicks and Newt, but couldn't.

Locke

Locke

Quote from: SM on Feb 19, 2010, 12:14:48 AM
Pretty sure I read that Senor Perry would've preferred to keep Hicks and Newt, but couldn't.

Was it a legal ordeal?

SM

SM

No just a personal preference 'cos he liked Aliens and didn't care much for them being killed off in Alien3.

(From memory - he may well refute that)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed