Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 188,639 times)

keylight-di

keylight-di

Dear maledoro:
Quote from: maledoro on Nov 03, 2009, 12:52:11 PM
why not acknowledge the points I had made?
If you want to. I think I did it before, didn't I? Not "point by point", but I did. O.K. So I try... again...
(Do you really think I'm able to?? much fun...)
Quote from: maledoro
There are tons of Star Trek episodes and films for you to see. All you have to do is substitute "Klingon" with "Yautja", make them less-diplomatic, and imagine them skinning people.
I don't agree. And I don't want to know nothing more about Klingons, I know now. For me it's different AU. Not my story.
At that point, we knew that they were mysterious. The only knowledge we need is that the people are trying to survive against an unknown creature. The "unknown" is the key. What's it gonna take to outlast the creature?
The "unknown" is the key? For you, maybe. Not for me. I'm this kind of fan who want to know more and more about this what he love. I don't like "unknown" in any aspect very much. What I missing in movies it's knowledge and I can find it in books. That's all. You like mysteriousness. I don't like.
The point is that the books painted the Preddies as trite sci-fi creatures. Aliens that come to Earth to hunt humans is not a new idea; it's been around since at least the '50s. By adding hunting codes, exotic weapons, a language, etc., the Preddies resemble a certain established alien race. They are no longer unique, but a garden variety alien race. If you feel that the books are the best source, knock yourself out. As you said, it's your personal opinion. But keep in mind that very little of what's shown in the books resembles the creatures that we know and love in the movies. On that note, you really don't like the Preddies; you like some other race that (through licensing) shares the same name. Oh, wait: they're "Yautja" now.
Do you know, what Stan Winston said describing the Predator in Predator 2 and explaining the reason for the varying designs and looks of the Predators.
Quote"Broad concept's the same. The difference is, this is a different individual. A different individual of the same species. As is a snake is a snake, but different snakes are different. Their colorings are different, different parts of their characteristics, their facial structures, subtle differences."
In my opinion this same we can tell about behaviour differences. Preddies (your name) are more mysterious in movies. It's movies right. Time difference between P1, P2 and next... Everything evolves. But for me Preds are unique, despite exploitation this subject.  They have potential at all.
Besides movies have limits (budget, technical possibility etc.). Imagination has no limits.  :)

Quote from: maledoroNo. All of the Predator and AVP movies were too cerebral for that.
Cerebral? What is cerebral? Movies? In what moment? It's joke?  ;D
I wasn't being sarcastic; I was simply calling a spade a spade. I was also reminding you of what you were really hero-worshipping; that it strays from what the creators of the franchise had envisioned.
You don't like Predators; you like "Yautjas"..

For me Yautja = Predators. For you maybe not. I could call them sons of Paya. Or something else. Names aren't important (for me).

All this discussion make no sens.
1# you can't  convince me. I live with Yautja/Predator image much more than 20 years. And I like it. I don't want change your opinion, because I'm tolerant and I can respect it. But let me keep mine. What's up? Why it's so important to you?? You wanna be winner? There are no winners, I'm sorry.  ;)
2# it exceeds my language skills. Maybe we should change language on my native. Then I could continue.

And one more thing - if this discussion is only beetwen me and you, I suggest PM. I'm tired of doing fool of myself in public space.  ;)
I'm sorry if I injure you using word "aggressive". But I feel like this...

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

Quote from: SiL on Nov 03, 2009, 05:04:08 AM
Difference being, despite the Arnies being different characters, they're still clearly the same thing, following a set of consistent patterns.

And the Predators in Prey as opposed to the two film Predators weren't? I'm most definitely confused about how showing how a different member of the same species would react to an entirely different situation suddenly having them become clearly not the same thing.

Quote from: SiL on Nov 02, 2009, 10:24:36 PM
We aren't talking about Aliens here.

If we were, my point would be, "f**k Cameron's portrayal of the Aliens, seriously. Anyone who takes that portrayal over the others in the movies doesn't like the Alien."

You were talking about rednecks and samurai, two very human archetypes, and I can't compare the alien we're discussing to a different kind of alien?

Quote from: maledoro on Nov 03, 2009, 02:04:27 AM
I think reading stories about different Predators who all acted exactly the same would be thoroughly boring.
Yet people ask for more Yautja stuff and complain when we get the "Hish".
[/quote]

I don't. I'll admit, I prefer the Yautja concept to the Hish one, but I think they're fully reconcilable with each other (though I will say that the Hish reproductive method seems rather silly to me). I've never minded any of the Hish stuff. Its another interpretation of what the character could be.

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Nov 03, 2009, 04:51:44 AM
And you don't seem to notice that we're not talking about Michael Myers or James T. Kirk or James Bond, or any other icon here, we're talking about a race of beings. They aren't going to act alike or think alike any more than you or I would. I think reading stories about different Predators who all acted exactly the same would be thoroughly boring.
And you don't seem to notice that you had missed my point entirely.

How so? Your point was that the Perrys dared to write a Predator novel that wasn't about the original movie Predator. I'm pointing out that they're not just one individual.

BrokenDiode

BrokenDiode

I dunno dudes, maybe these discussions require a new thread? It seems kind of a massive, huge derail.

Anyways,
Mr Perry, I did some art of Billie and her nightmares and it would honour me in all sorts of ways if you'd have a look at it.
Click here for the picture hosted on my LJ
Or here for it on DeviantArt.

I'm ashamed to admit I've forgotten Billie's eye colour, so for the sake of ease I made them blue.

I've always wanted to do a graphic novel type thing involving Aliens. Maybe I'll give it a go some day.
Hoping there are a few more Aliens/Predators novels to come. :D

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Nov 03, 2009, 07:09:25 PM
I'm most definitely confused about how showing how a different member of the same species would react to an entirely different situation suddenly having them become clearly not the same thing.
It has nothing to do with reacting to a situation here.

It's how they're portrayed as fundamentally very, very different characters to what we see in the movies.

Sure, both groups hunt things. Superman and Batman save people. Doesn't make them the same thing.

Quote from: SiL on Nov 02, 2009, 10:24:36 PM
You were talking about rednecks and samurai, two very human archetypes, and I can't compare the alien we're discussing to a different kind of alien?
Any comparison you made was pretty much irrelevant - Yeah, they did the same thing with the Aliens. And yeah, I disliked it when they did that, too. But what's how the Alien got treated got to do with the Predators?

Your point was that the Perrys dared to write a Predator novel that wasn't about the original movie Predator.
No, the point is that the Perrys wrote a Predator novel with something that shared the same name as the Predators, and a past-time with the Predators, but little to nothing else.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: keylight-di on Nov 03, 2009, 03:38:16 PM
I don't agree. And I don't want to know nothing more about Klingons, I know now. For me it's different AU. Not my story.
It's the same old story...;)

Quote from: keylight-di on Nov 03, 2009, 03:38:16 PMThe "unknown" is the key? For you, maybe. Not for me. I'm this kind of fan who want to know more and more about this what he love. I don't like "unknown" in any aspect very much. What I missing in movies it's knowledge and I can find it in books. That's all. You like mysteriousness. I don't like.
You like being spoonfed, especially on imitation.

Do you know, what Stan Winston said describing the Predator in Predator 2 and explaining the reason for the varying designs and looks of the Predators.
Quote"Broad concept's the same. The difference is, this is a different individual. A different individual of the same species. As is a snake is a snake, but different snakes are different. Their colorings are different, different parts of their characteristics, their facial structures, subtle differences."
In my opinion this same we can tell about behaviour differences. Preddies (your name) are more mysterious in movies. It's movies right. Time difference between P1, P2 and next... Everything evolves. But for me Preds are unique, despite exploitation this subject.  They have potential at all. Besides movies have limits (budget, technical possibility etc.). Imagination has no limits.
As long as the imagination is put to good use. In the books, it wasn't.

Quote from: keylight-di on Nov 03, 2009, 03:38:16 PMCerebral? What is cerebral? Movies? In what moment? It's joke?
Yep.

For me Yautja = Predators. For you maybe not. I could call them sons of Paya. Or something else. Names aren't important (for me).
You missed the point. And Paya would hate you for calling the Preddies that.

What's up? Why it's so important to you?? You wanna be winner? There are no winners, I'm sorry.
I'm not looking for a contest.

it exceeds my language skills. Maybe we should change language on my native. Then I could continue.
Which is?

And one more thing - if this discussion is only beetwen me and you, I suggest PM. I'm tired of doing fool of myself in public space.
You're not playing the fool.

I'm sorry if I injure you using word "aggressive". But I feel like this...
I like aggressive ladies... ;)

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Nov 03, 2009, 07:09:25 PM
How so? Your point was that the Perrys dared to write a Predator novel that wasn't about the original movie Predator. I'm pointing out that they're not just one individual.
That's how you missed that point. Aeus, SiL and a few others understood my point.

Aeus

Aeus

But then you went and said you preffered Predator 2 over Predator 1. So I retract my understanding (yes, I can do that!), and I'm sitting here with my arms crossed.

steveperry

steveperry

Might as well argue which ice cream is better, vanilla or chocolate. It's a matter of taste, and all the dancing we do is to support our own. We like what we like.

Writers who go into a franchised universe want to tell a story, and unless they are rubber stamps, they want to bring something of their viewpoint to the story; otherwise, why bother? When my daughter and I novelized the AvP graphic novels, the Predator was front and center, and if you are going to have a character occupy the middle of the frame, he/she/it needs to be interesting. If all you want is mystery, then the movies work fine. But it's not the same medium. You can't take a completely visual experience like a movie or a graphic novel and translate it straight across to a novel -- it doesn't work.

Doesn't work the other way, either.

A tale told almost entirely in pictures won't play if you do nothing but try to copy them exactly in prose.

I can usually figure out whodunnit mysteries, so while that's fun, it's not as interesting to me as the whydunnit. Or how. So for me, giving up a little mystery concerning the Predators isn't much price to pay to get the interior.
What the Predator thinks as he kicks ass is simply more interesting to me than him simply kicking ass. I want to know what Darth Vader is thinking in his hyperbaric chamber, and why the Predator come to Earth to hunt humans.  

If you are going to have a viewpoint character, you might want to get his or her viewpoint. You can do that in a novel. It's hard to do onscreen or in a comic without using voice-overs.

Some readers will like it, some won't. If you don't like, then you don't have to read it. Enough folks did like it that I got asked back, and the books all sold really well.

I've said this before, and it bears repeating: When you write in a popular universe, you have to do it in a way that is apt to please the majority of readers. There are always going to be hardcore fans who get really into things who -- no matter what you put down -- aren't gonna like it because it doesn't agree with what they want to see.

Trust me on this, you can't please everybody. If this hardcore fan loves something, you can bet the farm that one will hate it, and they will wrangle to the -- metaphorical -- death over piddly stuff that nobody else cares about.

Really. They don't. Most readers aren't interested in things that fanboys love to gush over. (Speaking as a fanboy.)

I'm not going there. You don't get hired to write for a handful of guys who eat, sleep, and breathe this stuff. Can't please them. Some of them -- some of you -- loved the latest incarnation of AvPR. But it would have been better for the franchise if a lot of folks out there in in flyover country had loved it and gone to see it in droves. It didn't kill the franchise, but it didn't win a lot of new converts. It just didn't.

You want what you want, and I'm not blaming you for that. But I want what I want, and enough readers agree with my view that tell me my way works pretty well.

That's how things are. You don't have to like it, but it won't hurt you to understand it.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Aeus on Nov 04, 2009, 12:37:25 AM
But then you went and said you preffered Predator 2 over Predator 1. So I retract my understanding (yes, I can do that!), and I'm sitting here with my arms crossed.
You can, but why would you want to? I didn't say that I preferred Predator 2 over Predator, I said that I liked it more. As far as my recommending either movie to a Predator neophyte, I would recommend the first one any day of the week and twice on Sunday. If I want to indulge in the guilty pleasures of a 1980s (yes, 1990 was the last year of that decade) zeitgeist, I would take refuge in the sanctuary of my TV room and watch the sequel.

Now, none of that has anything to do with the transmogrification of the Preddies to being garden-variety aliens via Dark Horse novels, so there should not be any conflict and you can still get on with knowing that I still detest aforementioned transmogrification of said beings.

Cool?

Aeus

Aeus

QuoteBut it would have been better for the franchise if a lot of folks out there in in flyover country had loved it and gone to see it in droves. It didn't kill the franchise, but it didn't win a lot of new converts. It just didn't.

The last thing this franchise needs is converts from AVPRs school of fandom.

Quote from: maledoro on Nov 04, 2009, 12:58:06 AM
Quote from: Aeus on Nov 04, 2009, 12:37:25 AM
You can, but why would you want to? I didn't say that I preferred Predator 2 over Predator, I said that I liked it more. As far as my recommending either movie to a Predator neophyte, I would recommend the first one any day of the week and twice on Sunday. If I want to indulge in the guilty pleasures of a 1980s (yes, 1990 was the last year of that decade) zeitgeist, I would take refuge in the sanctuary of my TV room and watch the sequel.

Now, none of that has anything to do with the transmogrification of the Preddies to being garden-variety aliens via Dark Horse novels, so there should not be any conflict and you can still get on with knowing that I still detest aforementioned transmogrification of said beings.

Cool?

As long as you're sorry!  :D

steveperry

steveperry

In entertainment, what matters is the bottom line. And in Hollywood, for a movie to make a profit, it has to earn two and a half times what it cost to make. And, bearing in mind 1980's dollars and ticket prices and today's ticket prices, have a look:

Released   
Movie Name   
1st Weekend   
US Gross   
Worldwide Gross   
Budget   
5/25/1979
Alien
$3,522,581
$80,930,630
$203,630,630
$9,000,000
7/18/1986
Aliens
$10,052,042
$85,160,248
$183,316,455
$17,000,000
5/22/1992
AlienĀ³
$23,141,188
$54,927,174
$158,500,000
$55,000,000
11/28/1997
Alien: Resurrection
$16,474,092
$47,795,018
$160,700,000
$60,000,000
8/13/2004
AVP: Alien Vs. Predator
$38,291,056
$80,281,096
$172,543,519
$70,000,000
Totals
$349,094,166
$878,690,604
$211,000,000
Averages
$69,818,833
$175,738,121
$42,200,000

Released   
Movie Name   
1st Weekend   
US Gross   
Worldwide Gross   
Budget   
6/12/1987
Predator
$12,031,638
$59,735,548
$98,267,558
$18,000,000
11/21/1990
Predator 2
$8,784,943
$28,317,513
$54,768,418
$35,000,000
8/13/2004
AVP: Alien Vs. Predator
$38,291,056
$80,281,096
$172,543,519
$70,000,000
7/7/2010
Robert Rodriguez's Predators
-
-
-
-
Totals
$168,334,157
$325,579,495
$123,000,000
Averages
$56,111,386
$108,526,498
$41,000,000

Do the math and see why the franchise is not as strong as it was.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: steveperry on Nov 04, 2009, 12:51:23 AM
Writers who go into a franchised universe want to tell a story, and unless they are rubber stamps, they want to bring something of their viewpoint to the story; otherwise, why bother? When my daughter and I novelized the AvP graphic novels, the Predator was front and center, and if you are going to have a character occupy the middle of the frame, he/she/it needs to be interesting. If all you want is mystery, then the movies work fine. But it's not the same medium. You can't take a completely visual experience like a movie or a graphic novel and translate it straight across to a novel -- it doesn't work.

Doesn't work the other way, either.
I'm well aware of that.

A tale told almost entirely in pictures won't play if you do nothing but try to copy them exactly in prose.
In some hands, it could.

I can usually figure out whodunnit mysteries, so while that's fun, it's not as interesting to me as the whydunnit. Or how. So for me, giving up a little mystery concerning the Predators isn't much price to pay to get the interior.
A little mystery being peeled away is alright, but going at the core with machete is another thing.

What the Predator thinks as he kicks ass is simply more interesting to me than him simply kicking ass. I want to know what Darth Vader is thinking in his hyperbaric chamber, and why the Predator come to Earth to hunt humans.
That's fine, too.

If you are going to have a viewpoint character, you might want to get his or her viewpoint. You can do that in a novel. It's hard to do onscreen or in a comic without using voice-overs.
Sometimes the POV isn't necessary. A third person narrative can still inform us that a Predator speared an Alien because the Alien had killed the Predator's brother. We don't necessarily need Serosa Mouth telling us "I'm gonna get that sucka!"

've said this before, and it bears repeating: When you write in a popular universe, you have to do it in a way that is apt to please the majority of readers.
But, how do we know who the majority are? Years ago, James Cameron claimed that only a small percentage of people who had seen Alien didn't know about the deleted Cocoon Scene and he had went ahead and created the queen alien. Yet, when leaving the theater, I heard many people of various ages discussing whether or not the queen had contradicted the original life cycle. This was mentioned in books and magazines from 1986 on. Some "tiny percentage".

There are always going to be hardcore fans who get really into things who -- no matter what you put down -- aren't gonna like it because it doesn't agree with what they want to see.
Like what was shown onscreen?

Trust me on this, you can't please everybody.
Well, no!

You want what you want, and I'm not blaming you for that. But I want what I want, and enough readers agree with my view that tell me my way works pretty well.
Gotta go where the money rolls.

That's how things are. You don't have to like it, but it won't hurt you to understand it.
I understand it. I was venting my grievances.

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

Quote from: maledoro on Nov 04, 2009, 01:28:50 AM
A little mystery being peeled away is alright, but going at the core with machete is another thing.

Sometimes the POV isn't necessary. A third person narrative can still inform us that a Predator speared an Alien because the Alien had killed the Predator's brother. We don't necessarily need Serosa Mouth telling us "I'm gonna get that sucka!"

There are always going to be hardcore fans who get really into things who -- no matter what you put down -- aren't gonna like it because it doesn't agree with what they want to see.
Like what was shown onscreen?

Ok, seriously? I know its been a while since I read Prey, but where does it directly contradict the films in terms of Predator behavior?

Quote from: maledoro on Nov 04, 2009, 01:28:50 AM
've said this before, and it bears repeating: When you write in a popular universe, you have to do it in a way that is apt to please the majority of readers.
But, how do we know who the majority are? Years ago, James Cameron claimed that only a small percentage of people who had seen Alien didn't know about the deleted Cocoon Scene and he had went ahead and created the queen alien. Yet, when leaving the theater, I heard many people of various ages discussing whether or not the queen had contradicted the original life cycle. This was mentioned in books and magazines from 1986 on. Some "tiny percentage".

So, let me get this straight, here. Not only did 'many' people who went to your showing of Aliens know about a deleted scene which, to my knowledge, was only really available in the novelization, but then this suddenly becomes the situation everywhere, completely disproving what the filmmaker has told you? Genius, I wish my world worked that way.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Nov 04, 2009, 02:39:57 AM
Ok, seriously? I know its been a while since I read Prey, but where does it directly contradict the films in terms of Predator behavior?
Go back and read Prey.

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Nov 04, 2009, 02:39:57 AMSo, let me get this straight, here. Not only did 'many' people who went to your showing of Aliens know about a deleted scene which, to my knowledge, was only really available in the novelization, but then this suddenly becomes the situation everywhere, completely disproving what the filmmaker has told you? Genius, I wish my world worked that way.
So, on the same token you're saying that the only people who knew about it were in my cinema and my cinema only. The conspiracy has been exposed! Yes! We were the only ones who had this sacred knowledge! Come on, Dom.

Knowledge of the footage came from more than just the novelization. It was in just about every magazine that featured Alien. It was covered in books that were written about the film. There were alot of materials circulating about Alien from 1978 to 1980 and they pretty much all had something about that scene. You remember all those books, magazines, and documentaries back then, don'tcha, Dom?

cloverfan98

cloverfan98

Quote from: BrokenDiode on Nov 03, 2009, 08:23:19 PM
I dunno dudes, maybe these discussions require a new thread? It seems kind of a massive, huge derail.

Anyways,
Mr Perry, I did some art of Billie and her nightmares and it would honour me in all sorts of ways if you'd have a look at it.
Click here for the picture hosted on my LJ
Or here for it on DeviantArt.

I'm ashamed to admit I've forgotten Billie's eye colour, so for the sake of ease I made them blue.

I've always wanted to do a graphic novel type thing involving Aliens. Maybe I'll give it a go some day.
Hoping there are a few more Aliens/Predators novels to come. :D

I'm not Mr. Perry but dang those are awesome man! This is just me, but it feels like this thread has gotten outta hand to anyone else?

steveperry

steveperry

Yep, nice work, BD. Keep it up. You have talent.

As for venting, it's all good, but you just can't get attached to the idea that the people who do these things are going to put what they think works aside for what you think works.

You aren't typical of the broad array of fans who go to see these movies, and read the comics and novels.

How I know people liked my books is that they went through multiple printings, some of them twenty or so, and I still get little royalty checks on books I wrote decades ago.

It's real simple: Vote with your wallet.

If you'll notice how the most recent movies did, they either barely broke even or didn't -- using the Hollywood formula.

Far as I can tell, my Aliens, Predators, and AvP books have all earned out, save the most recent one, and it's too soon to tell. I expect it will.

You don't like my books or how I write 'em, your business. Don't buy them.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed