Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 188,899 times)

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

By a desperate commando and a cop, no less.

SiL

SiL

QuoteHowever you want to slice it, when the movie was over -- stay with me here -- all the Aliens in it were dead, weren't they? And Ripley wasn't.
But in Aliens, it was simply because they had better transport. If the survivors hadn't been able to high-tail it out of there in the dropship, they'd be just as dead. And if the plant hadn't exploded, Ripley, Hicks et al. would've been overwhelmed by Aliens before help arrived.

QuoteI'm not saying that the smart always survive. In this case, that's what happened.
Yet when you look at it, the Aliens were only defeated twice by their opponent's intelligence - The last two movies. Ripley didn't kill the Alien through cunning in the first two movies; she killed it because she was able to open a convenient door in time. If the Queen hadn't been pinned so awkwardly under the powerloader she would've been dead Doubly so if Ripley hadn't had a magical script immunity arm at the last second.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

And remember, in the third movie, human ingenuity failed in the face of the Alien's ability to take ten tons of molten lead and burst out of it unhurt. A bit irritated, perhaps, but not damaged.

SiL

SiL

But then human ingenuity prevailed when Morse remembered the one science lesson he ever paid attention to.

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: SM on Oct 23, 2009, 12:58:25 AM
Didn't the much smarter Predators invariably get beat too?

Dutch beat the first one because he got lucky. Harrigan however beat the second one because it was fairly stupid. I mean, come on...Playing possum?

But yeah, the first one was pretty damn smart.

War Wager

War Wager

You got any interests in returning to the Predator franchise Steve? 'Turnabout' was an impressive debut.

steveperry

steveperry

If. If pigs had wings they'd fly. And if I was writing a movie where I needed flying pigs, I could give them wings.

All of this stuff is spun from the minds of the writers who create it, the directors who screw it up, the editors who cut it or pad it, in movies, books, comics, whatever.

Plot-device Man is the superhero who decides who lives and who dies, and al of the speculations about Enterprise or Millennium Falcon, Hulk versus The Thing, or peanut butter v chocolate can be kind of fun but ultimately moot at best and specious at worst.

People like to choose sides. The Aliens fans favor the xenos, the Predator fans, the yautja (a term in which I had a part in creating) and it's all good clean fun, but really, some folks take it waaaay too seriously. The color of the lint in Ripley's pocket last Tuesday really doesn't interest me, or most people who watch the movies, or read the graphic or prose novels, it really doesn't, and since I, or anybody else who gets to write one of these can mess with that, it really doesn't pay to get too attached to it.

I hear the same thing in the Star Wars universe, the Indiana Jones universe, and back when I was doing 'em, the Conan, Batman, and Spider Man universe.

Oh, Princess Leia would never do that! a fan writes, royally pissed-off at me.

Well, two things: 1) Yes, she would, because she did. 2) There is no Princess Leia, dude. Somebody made her up, and what you think about when you imagine her is Carrie Fisher, an actress playing a part.

People buy books and go see movies, and for that reason, the Aliens and the Predators are going to keep losing. Might win a battle now and the, but not the war. No money in that. Last time I looked, imaginary characters didn't buy a lot of popcorn ...

I might write another book in one of the series someday, I'm not ruling it out, 'cause they were fun to do.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

The point is that an incompetent villain is boring.

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

Quote from: steveperry on Oct 25, 2009, 10:48:52 PM
Oh, Princess Leia would never do that! a fan writes, royally pissed-off at me.

Well, two things: 1) Yes, she would, because she did. 2) There is no Princess Leia, dude. Somebody made her up, and what you think about when you imagine her is Carrie Fisher, an actress playing a part.

While I don't entirely disagree with you, Steve, I think this is kind of the wrong attitude to take here. I know personally if I read a book that's set in a universe I'm familiar with, with characters I'm familiar with, and the characters act contrary to how they act in the movie/tv series/etc. it both annoys me, and makes me not want to read future books by that author.

Authors that write within a pre-established universe have a bit of a trade-off going. They don't have to build a world for their readers, which saves a lot of time, but they do have (I feel) a responsibility to their readers to respect the source material wherever possible.

Now, all that being said, I've never had any problems with any of your work, although I can definitely see where Alex is coming from.

SM

SM

QuoteI know personally if I read a book that's set in a universe I'm familiar with, with characters I'm familiar with, and the characters act contrary to how they act in the movie/tv series/etc. it both annoys me, and makes me not want to read future books by that author.

Then you got your answer - don't read anymore books by that author.  I think Friedman did a fairly awful job with Ripley in Original Sin, as she seem to have regressed back to where she was at the start of Resurrection, rather than the end - nevermind what her mindset would be several years after the fact.  So I doubt I'd buy anymore books he wrote about Ripley and co.

Not a terribly big call seeing as more books set post Resurrection aren't exactly flooding the market, but there you go.

In terms of Star Wars, I think most authors generally do alright with the characterisations.  Some do better and others are crap, but overall they're decent.  With Star Wars however, there's an active group of people approving EU material.  With Alien and Predator - it's either non-existant or severely under-resourced.

Bug Hunt

Bug Hunt

I have a few questions for you Steve.
Are you interested in any particular video games in terms of storyline and will you be getting the new Aliens vs Predator game when it is released?

I just finished Earth Hive by the way and it was fantastic :) I just wish Hicks and Newt werent killed off in Alien 3. What was your reactions and opinions to their deaths when you first saw the film and how did this affect you as a fan? Thank you.

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: To The Death on Oct 31, 2009, 07:41:35 PM
I have a few questions for you Steve.
Are you interested in any particular video games in terms of storyline and will you be getting the new Aliens vs Predator game when it is released?

I just finished Earth Hive by the way and it was fantastic :) I just wish Hicks and Newt werent killed off in Alien 3. What was your reactions and opinions to their deaths when you first saw the film and how did this affect you as a fan? Thank you.

I'm not a gamer, so I don't keep with with what goes on in the A, P, or AvP universe there. Nothing wrong with it, just not my thing. I'm an analog guy, and after all day in front of the computer, video games isn't how I unwind. I play guitar, do martial arts, walk my dogs.

Playstation, Wii, X-box, my grandsons have all those and sometimes I watch them play, but it doesn't call to me.

I thought A3 was terrible. After all the effort in A2, to kill the survivors off was, in my mind, and not to put too fine a point on it, exceedingly stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. And it went downhill from there. If I could wave my hand and make every print of the movie vanish, and all memory of it go away, I'd do it.

But, no, really, other than that? I hated it.

Aeus

Aeus

Heh, I prefered it to Aliens.

SiL

SiL

Same.

I'd love it even more if they'd actually come up with a half-decent excuse for the egg, though. Even the rejected "Growing in Bishop's remains" would've been better than the "HAI GUYS DON'T MIND ME I'M JUST CHILLIN' HERE" upside down egg.

Other than that, it was a great reality check after Cameron's "Daughter died? Just find a little girl whose family was butchered by Aliens and everything will be fine! And then throw in a useless marine for a father figure and watch the post-traumatic stress just wash away!"

Aeus

Aeus

I never had a problem with the egg. The Queens primary objective, hell the primary objective of Aliens in general is to survive, makes sense she'd at least pop one out before throwing down with Ripley. I can't remember if it's seen to be placed on any part of the ship, I always assumed it was on the Dropship. True?

As for everyone biting the bullet...Well I always thought that sorta summed up Ripleys relationship with the creature; it's always gonna be just her and the monster.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed