Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 188,641 times)

SiL

SiL

QuoteThing is, I got to to decide and you didn't.
That's a terrible, terrible justification for anything. A valid one, in this instance, but still terrible.

QuoteMaybe it would have been better your way
Could easily be worse. But at least it'd be consistent.

QuoteThose who can, do. Those who can't, carp about it.
That doesn't really apply to this situation. You still did it. Even if we could do it we'd still carp, cos it's still there.

That being said, I don't mind the Yautja stuff until people start holding it up and saying "This is how it is". Which you can't be blamed for.

steveperry

steveperry

Actually, it's a time-honored response by writers to critics: Where were you when the page was blank? Because, for some of us, it is better to be the world's worst artist than the world's best critic. I wouldn't particularly care to be the world's worst artist, but even so? that would be better. Give a critic a blank page, he's got nothing.

By offering up anything for public perusal, a writer quickly learns that everybody is allowed to have and express an opinion. Fine. Part of the game. But a writer also learns, sometimes the hard way, not to get too upset about those. Nor to pay more attention to them than they are due. As in many things, one must consider the source.

I'm not upset about it. Just now and then, I will take the gloves off and call it like I see it.

It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback. (And I don't know if your version would have been consistent -- nor do you -- because you didn't write it. And if you had, you would have had to allow the editor and owner of the properly fiddle with it if they chose to do so, and what showed up on the racks might not have been completely your doing.

And the do/carp comment stands -- if you could write and sell this kind of stuff, I expect you'd have more of a feeling about what it takes to do so, and probably -- at least I hope it would be the case -- you'd be a little less likely to pop off, since you'd understand what it takes to start with a ream of blank paper and end up with a novel that gets published and read by a lot of folks -- many of whom are more than happy to tell you how you could have done it better.

But -- maybe not.

Tell you what, after you sell a couple novels and hear what gets said about 'em, come back and let's revisit the discussion. Until then, you need to understand that your opinion is primarily important to you and not really very much so to me.

stephen

stephen

I for one would like to thank you Steve for taking the time out of your day to respond to the questions people here ask.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: steveperry on May 12, 2009, 04:55:22 AM
Where were you when the page was blank?
Playing in a sand box.

QuoteI wouldn't particularly care to be the world's worst artist, but even so? that would be better. Give a critic a blank page, he's got nothing.
Give the critic a blank page and he's got a thousand words on why the world's worst artist is the world's worst artist.

QuoteTell you what, after you sell a couple novels and hear what gets said about 'em, come back and let's revisit the discussion.
...You're going for the "I'd like to see you try doing this" argument?

You don't need to try making a building to know that if someone makes a building that collapses under its own weight, they suck at making a building. You don't need to have tried committing genocide or waging war across half the globe to say Hitler was an asshole.

Just because it's a difficult job to get into and you got in the position to have your say expressed to the masses doesn't mean people have to bend over and take it; doesn't mean that it's good; and certainly doesn't mean it's above criticism by those who aren't in the same profession. It just means yours is the opinion that got heard.

QuoteUntil then, you need to understand that your opinion is primarily important to you and not really very much so to me.
I never assumed or acted like my opinion was important to you. You could ignore every single thing I've said and I really wouldn't care.

But I'd still say it, because even if I'm not a published author (or someone who's even tried to become a published author), that doesn't invalidate my opinion when I say "Steve Perry did a shonky job with his treatment of the Predators".

steveperry

steveperry

And there you are, still in the sandbox, and still flinging the stuff hither and yon.

You don't have to agree with anything I've written, or anything I've said about it. But if you are going to presume to offer an opinion, in order for it to have any weight, then there needs to be some substance to it. Other than, "Well, that's what I think!" I don't hear it. There's nothing wrong with being a fanboy -- we're all fanboys here; well, maybe even a couple of fangirls -- but your comments presume an acceptance of expertise about what you have to say -- at least that's how they come across to where I sit -- and there  is no evidence of that being true.

No, you don't have to be a professional pianist to hear it when the guy playing a concert hits a clunker. But if you are going to offer him lessons in how he could have played the concert better, chances are pretty good he's not going to pay a lot of attention to you unless you can demonstrate some reason why he should. If you are a better player, even a peer, he might be willing to do that. If you are just some guy who listens to music? Who are you to say?

"I didn't like your interpretation of Rachmanianoff's Prelude in C-sharp Minor." Fine, you can say that. But if you can't play it, why on Earth would anybody listen to your notion on how best to do it? Talking the talk is not the same as walking the walk.

You miss my point entirely about the critic and the blank page, which isn't a surprise. A critic needs somebody to have written something -- good or bad -- in order to have anything to say. Give him the paper and say, give me a thousand words, his question is "On who?" Critics are remoras -- no shark? no ride, no food.

Writing fiction is, at best, a sketchy kind of communication. All you have is words, and that limits you. Those of us who do it for a living, least all those I know, try constantly to improve, to find the right word or phrase, to construct out stories in ways that make them accessible to as many people as we can.
On our side of the table, we have a different view of what we do, and how, and why. Now and then somebody from across the table will offer something that rings a bell, that makes sense, and when that happens, every writer I know will nod and accept it, and use the advice. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. But what you have to say, and how you say it? Not coming across. Your opinion of your opinion is too high -- it gets in the way.  What comes across is "I know better!"

Don't see it. No evidence. And the best -- and only real -- way to prove it is to show me. When you can do that, then you have something. Otherwise, no.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: steveperry on May 12, 2009, 05:24:43 PM
but your comments presume an acceptance of expertise about what you have to say -- at least that's how they come across to where I sit -- and there  is no evidence of that being true.
Then they're coming across wrong.

I don't presume any expertise - Just that by watching the films, and reading the comic, it's pretty clear that everyone was going for tribal hunters, not samurai. That's not an opinion, either. That's just repeating what the people who made the movies and comics said in interviews and the like.

From there the feeling is that turning them into samurai wasn't the most seemingly logical (for want of a better term) progression given what everyone had said. One doesn't have to be a published author to state this, or for it to be a valid statement. When everyone says "A!", and then another person comes along and says "B!", obviously some eyebrows are going to be raised.

Whether or not "B" is better or worse or just as good is entirely besides the point. All I was ever saying was that "B" was an odd point to arrive at.

As to whether it should have been done differently, no, and I never said that, and I never presumed to tell you how it should have been done.

happypred

happypred

the whole samurai thing is no more inconsistent with the original movies than the idea of predators as teachers of civilisation and pyramid building

neither idea is directly contradictory but they certainly don't fit the established spirit of the original

SiL

SiL

Quote from: happypred on May 12, 2009, 10:48:37 PM
neither idea is directly contradictory but they certainly don't fit the established spirit of the original
I think that sums up the sentiment nicely.

alienfan95610

alienfan95610

Steve,

Just thought I would let you know that I'm about 50 pages away from finishing "Turnabout" and I love it! Sloane and Regal are both awesome characters! Great job!

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy life to post your thoughts and advice here!

The PredBen

The PredBen

Mr.Perry I would like you to know that I am done writing an AVP script and would like to ask you how long a script should be to fill say 1hr40 minutes? ( I know you do not write scripts but still I would like your opionon because I plan to send this to fox. I am also writing a second script now , when I finish it I do not know.
Thanks mr. Perry and I feel sorry for arguing with you , because as you say , at least for now , you are a professional writing and I am not. ;D

The PredBen

The PredBen

yeah , I am connection two posts. :o.)

Dachande

Dachande

Quote from: The PredBen on May 13, 2009, 04:40:26 PM
Mr.Perry I would like you to know that I am done writing an AVP script and would like to ask you how long a script should be to fill say 1hr40 minutes? ( I know you do not write scripts but still I would like your opionon because I plan to send this to fox. I am also writing a second script now , when I finish it I do not know.
Thanks mr. Perry and I feel sorry for arguing with you , because as you say , at least for now , you are a professional writing and I am not. ;D

I think 1 page = 1 minute in terms of scripts

The PredBen

The PredBen

thank you very much. :).

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: Dachande on May 13, 2009, 05:41:47 PM
I think 1 page = 1 minute in terms of scripts

Dachande's rule of thumb is what people usually cite, and it is pretty close. Action plays faster, dialog slower. (Not in animation, which is faster overall, but in live-action.) From a practical standpoint, if your script runs more than a hundred and ten or -fifteen pages, it's probably too long. The ideal commercial movie length is 105 minutes, and that based on getting people into and out of the theater with time to get popcorn and all, in a two-hour slot. Easier to sell a shorter script, one that long scares readers. If you are doing the next Star Trek or have a bunch of credits, it's different.

I don't care if people argue with me. I didn't come here to get my ass kissed -- if you don't agree, that's your right -- call it like you see and so will I. I just get a little amused when it sounds as if somebody is trying to give me writing lessons and I don't see that they have the wherewithal to do so.

Opinions, they say, are like assholes -- we all have them, and most of them stink ...

sdp

sdp

Hey, everyone... Dad. I've come 'cause you sent me a thing saying I had a message, which, of course, I can't find. When I clicked on the link, it said I have no messages. Instead I find you going toe to toe with yet another critic--nice job, by the way. I crumple under criticism, myself, which is why I rarely come to these sites. Well, usually...
So, I'm asking Steve Perry--what do I click? ;D
xox

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed