Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 188,944 times)

happypred

happypred

Hey Mr. Perry,

would you be interested in writing a novel or comic (would you be interested in writing comics?) that focuses more on the Jockeys and the origins of the aliens and perhaps even the origins of the predators and how the three species are related? Do you have a origin theory that you would like to use in one of  your works if DH allowed it?

Hudson

Hudson

Ok, I read in an interview and recently watched in another where you give your opinion on the intelligence of the Aliens.

What in the first four Alien films leads you to believe that Xenomorphs are "stupid" as you said in the interview?

Not sure if this question has been asked yet.

steveperry

steveperry

This one has been asked and answered extensively -- go back through the postings in this thread. Agree or disagree, what I said is there to be seen. As of yet, nobody has convinced me that I'm wrong, so I stand by what i said.

The PredBen

The PredBen

Mr. Perry , hello! I am so glad I can talk to you! I never can find Prey anywhere and its tragic because I would love to read it , I have read WAR though... IDK if that is your work or not. My question is , I loved how you made the Predator culture but one thing erks me a lot! You describe them as Samuri .... but you are wrong on two points.

1.) Samuri are human and Predators are aliens..... okay.

2.) Samuri DO NOT LET OTHERS INTO THEIR CLAN... this is a proven and true fact , that Machiko , I may have misspelled her name , was let in the clan because she shows the ability to kill an alien good. But your telling me that if I took a machine gun and gunned down an alien or two " broken Tusk " would be in awe of me and let me join their clan? that is nothing like SAMURI culture and not how the Predators are shown either... they are bad guys and while I loved your showing of them and the story I feel you tried to make them seem like good guys more so then bad.

All in all just curious of what you think of my posts! thanks!

AdamBombOi

AdamBombOi

Quote from: The PredBen on May 06, 2009, 08:48:20 PM
Mr. Perry , hello! I am so glad I can talk to you! I never can find Prey anywhere and its tragic because I would love to read it , I have read WAR though... IDK if that is your work or not. My question is , I loved how you made the Predator culture but one thing erks me a lot! You describe them as Samuri .... but you are wrong on two points.

1.) Samuri are human and Predators are aliens..... okay.

2.) Samuri DO NOT LET OTHERS INTO THEIR CLAN... this is a proven and true fact , that Machiko , I may have misspelled her name , was let in the clan because she shows the ability to kill an alien good. But your telling me that if I took a machine gun and gunned down an alien or two " broken Tusk " would be in awe of me and let me join their clan? that is nothing like SAMURI culture and not how the Predators are shown either... they are bad guys and while I loved your showing of them and the story I feel you tried to make them seem like good guys more so then bad.

All in all just curious of what you think of my posts! thanks!

She killed a Queen, not just 'an' Alien.

SiL

SiL

She closed a door that the Queen's head happened to be sticking through. Wow.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

And FYI that happened in the comics before it happened in Prey.

The PredBen

The PredBen

oh okay... well still I respect Mr.Perry , but the books humanize aliens. I would not like an alien to visit earth and treat me like its own kind culture wise... although it would be fun to see aliens in real life...

Anyway that's it then. 8)

steveperry

steveperry

With all due respect to the not-samurai critique, if you read the graphic novel upon which the novel AvP: Prey is based, you'll see that a lot of what we did in the book was to novelize the comics. So the credit for much of the plot and action goes elsewhere, and I do believe I've mentioned that a time or twelve.

My daughter and I added our bits, but we didn't create the AvP concept -- talk to Chris, Randy, and Mike about that. We followed their lead.

You need to at least have read the book you are criticizing or you'll come across as an idiot. If you read War, you should have been able to look down there under the title and see the name of writer, and it's obviously not my name.

As for the culture we did create, since it a) didn't exist before and b) is in a completely fictional universe, then it can't really be "wrong." You might not like the direction in which we took it, and that's your right, but we did take it there, and since that's why they hired us.

That a culture like the Preds would have things in common with samurai doesn't strike me as the least bit unlikely, given the set-up from the original movie and subsequent expanded universe material. This was written and produced for an audiences of humans who primarily speak English. That's where you start.

I expect, having done a bit of research on samurai culture, written a book based on that outside the Aliens and Predator universe, and having been in martial arts for more than forty years, I know as much about that culture as somebody who can't spell "samurai" correctly.

The PredBen

The PredBen

Quote from: steveperry on May 09, 2009, 04:59:53 PM
With all due respect to the not-samurai critique, if you read the graphic novel upon which the novel AvP: Prey is based, you'll see that a lot of what we did in the book was to novelize the comics. So the credit for much of the plot and action goes elsewhere, and I do believe I've mentioned that a time or twelve.

My daughter and I added our bits, but we didn't create the AvP concept -- talk to Chris, Randy, and Mike about that. We followed their lead.

You need to at least have read the book you are criticizing or you'll come across as an idiot. If you read War, you should have been able to look down there under the title and see the name of writer, and it's obviously not my name.

As for the culture we did create, since it a) didn't exist before and b) is in a completely fictional universe, then it can't really be "wrong." You might not like the direction in which we took it, and that's your right, but we did take it there, and since that's why they hired us.

That a culture like the Preds would have things in common with samurai doesn't strike me as the least bit unlikely, given the set-up from the original movie and subsequent expanded universe material. This was written and produced for an audiences of humans who primarily speak English. That's where you start.

I expect, having done a bit of research on samurai culture, written a book based on that outside the Aliens and Predator universe, and having been in martial arts for more than forty years, I know as much about that culture as somebody who can't spell "samurai" correctly.

Yeah.... I couldn't for that post , I wasn't thinking and was in a rush and I am not insulting you at all , I figured out a lot of what you told me a bit to late..... Also I do like your and the graphic novel creators views on Predators more then Mr. Shirley , anyway thanks. :)

SiL

SiL

QuoteThat a culture like the Preds would have things in common with samurai doesn't strike me as the least bit unlikely, given the set-up from the original movie and subsequent expanded universe material
Wait, what?

The original movie - both movies, heck, and even the plot of the comic you were adapting - took their cues from tribal hunting cultures. It's right there, doing a full song-and-dance number in the audience's face. Everyone who had anything to do with the creation of them repeatedly referenced them as a source of inspiration. Even the freakin' music of both movies takes its cues from tribal drums.

How the heck can someone take all of that information ... then decide the closest analogy is samurai?

The PredBen

The PredBen

Quote from: SiL on May 09, 2009, 11:56:06 PM
Wait, what?

The original movie - both movies, heck, and even the plot of the comic you were adapting - took their cues from tribal hunting cultures. It's right there, doing a full song-and-dance number in the audience's face. Everyone who had anything to do with the creation of them repeatedly referenced them as a source of inspiration. Even the freakin' music of both movies takes its cues from tribal drums.

How the heck can someone take all of that information ... then decide the closest analogy is samurai?
I agree they aren't Samurai they are closer to primitive tribal peoples who got technology. The whole point was savage humanoid aliens who have high technology to use to do their tribal rituals i.e. hunting for sport. They are never once referenced as Samurai , they do not do marital arts. The only non - tribal based thing they do is have a mild code of honor. They use spears and wristblades and non samurai weapons. Even Peter Briggs who gave them in honor system in his script for AVP , has a character reference them as " Bushmen " they also do not have armor. I liked your novels , don't get me wrong ,but they aren't Samurai.

SiL

SiL

Hunting tribes didn't really hunt for sport - You could brag if you killed the big'un, but you didn't go out just to get a trophy.

Before the tribal aspects were added they weren't even that - They were the equivalent of a human going on a big game hunt. For all we knew they could've all sat around the office the rest of the week grumbling about their boss, then on the weekend, hey-hey, time to hunt some dangerous game.

And then "Hey, I know. Samurai."

The PredBen

The PredBen

correct. ;D

steveperry

steveperry

Sports, we are all tribal as humans, that's how the apes roll so it's at the basis of everything in our culture, including our stories. Sliding up the scale a hair, things branched, that would include the samurai. I like that direction, so I went there.

Thing is, I got to to decide and you didn't. Maybe it would have been better your way -- I'm sure you think so -- but I'm happy with what I wrote. And the books sold well enough so a lot of other folks seemed to be okay with the notion.

Way it goes. Those who can, do. Those who can't, carp about it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed