Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 187,732 times)

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 26, 2008, 09:19:39 PM
Depends on how it was handled. I could see a "character" story about Predators hunting and all sorts of character-based things happen. "Political" maneuverings among Predators, hunting rivalries, pissing contests/one-upsmanship, etc. Sure it'd be light on action, but if done right it could have interesting character conflicts and the like.

Several years ago I was working on an AvP fan-fiction story on a bet; someone bet me that I couldn't do a "comedy" AvP story, so I wrote it where the humans are all afraid of the Predators and see them as these noble badasses with high-tech gear, but when it hops to the Predator perspective they're all essentially drunken frat-boys out using their guns and blowing shit up.

I would love to see a predator-driven AvP story, or a one shot about a routine hunt where we just get to see different preds with different personalities, but it would be a tough sell to the average comic reader, that sort of stuff would only appeal to serious predator fans

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

OK, a new Q for Perry-san.

It's very vague, though.

In the predator films, the predator has always been the villain, absolute evil that must be destroyed. However, in some comics and the AVP films, the predators have been depicted as anti heroes, sometimes even heroes (as is the case with the Scar predator).

Do you think it is possible to have an AVP story where both sides are bad or does there have to be a protagonist on one side and an antagonist on the other?

Cetanu

Cetanu

After you answer those questions, I have a question about your writing compared to others.

How come in your books there always seems to be a lot of sexual....things? No offense, I likeyour writing, that's just something I linked together. Billie and Mitch, Mary and Sloane.....other stuff. Just wondering.

Nobody

Nobody

Quote from: Cetanu on Sep 28, 2008, 08:05:10 PM
After you answer those questions, I have a question about your writing compared to others.

How come in your books there always seems to be a lot of sexual....things? No offense, I likeyour writing, that's just something I linked together. Billie and Mitch, Mary and Sloane.....other stuff. Just wondering.
Because Sex makes it worth reading  ;D

steveperry

steveperry

I'll try and cover a bunch of stuff here --

To write in somebody else's universe, pretty much have to have professional credits and get invited. My daughter got a shortcut because I was already working there, courtesy of Mike Richardson, who I know from before he started Dark Horse.

Lot of people want to play there, and they can pick and choose.

Attitude and actions expressed by characters in my books are theirs, and not necessarily mine. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I disagree, but I try and offer different viewpoints for balance. I think there is too much city in our world, sure enough, but I'm not Paul, who was too far the other way.

Sloane had no use for Paul or like-minded folks because, in his opinion, they didn't have a clue about how things work in the real world, and anybody who didn't do the research necessary to learn how to avoid being eaten by a bear deserved it. One thing if a bear breaks into your house and attacks you; another thing if you are trying to camp in the middle of a bunch of wild animals.

A story with all villains or all heroes doesn't offer much of a choice. Conflict is the essence of a tale, and good against bad (or bad against worse) works -- so anti-heroes will play. I thought ole Broken-Tusk was fairly heroic myself. in AvP Prey.

Villains don't always think of themselves as villains. Good ones don't sit around twirling their mustaches. They do what they do because they think it is the right thing, which makes it ever so much more interesting. Who is the villain, who the hero depends on where you are standing, here or there. One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist.

Sex is why we are all here, and is at the heart of life. No sex, no people. And I think a lot of folks think about it a whole bunch, so I feel it's a valid subject to discuss. Plus, you are supposed to write what you know, and that's one of my areas of expertise ...

Predator755

Predator755

Sounds reasonable enough. Now, how would you recomend working towards getting a writing job? I read on DH's site that they look at writing submittions and take looks at ideas sent to them, given the mentioned requirements they give are met. What would it take to truly get their interest and get a possible book out?

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Quote from: steveperry on Sep 28, 2008, 10:49:30 PM
Villains don't always think of themselves as villains. Good ones don't sit around twirling their mustaches. They do what they do because they think it is the right thing, which makes it ever so much more interesting. Who is the villain, who the hero depends on where you are standing, here or there. One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist.

And yet, the predators were not only good, but in AVP they actually saved lives and such.

By villain for predator I mean not caring about human affairs, only thinking of them as meat to be slaughtered for fun, and having no regard for anything other than themselves.

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: Predator755 on Sep 28, 2008, 11:29:28 PM
Sounds reasonable enough. Now, how would you recomend working towards getting a writing job? I read on DH's site that they look at writing submittions and take looks at ideas sent to them, given the mentioned requirements they give are met. What would it take to truly get their interest and get a possible book out?

Credits elsewhere top the list. Whatever idea you throw at them, they've heard a variation of it before. Ideas are cheap. Execution is what matters. (No matter how brilliant you think your idea is, how original, trust me here, it isn't. I've been there myself many times. It's all been done, and better, and what makes your story unique is that it's you writing it.)

And what counts is the finished product. I got a drawer full of ideas -- they are cheap.

Write and sell something that gets published elsewhere, then you can approach one of the franchised universes. Without credits, why would they pick you if they can pick any of fifty pros who they know can deliver?

War Wager

War Wager

Quote from: Alienseseses on Sep 28, 2008, 11:31:51 PM

And yet, the predators were not only good, but in AVP they actually saved lives and such.

By villain for predator I mean not caring about human affairs, only thinking of them as meat to be slaughtered for fun, and having no regard for anything other than themselves.

They saved lives? At what point exactly? They attacked every human they came upon because they were slowing their trail down. As I can remember they killed 7 in total.

Mr Perry, just finished Turnabout. Very enjoyable read, give it a 4/5. Few Q's though:

What does the title 'Turnabout' have to do with the story?

I've noticed your novel is a lot different than the movies. It's more of a horror piece and it's a lot more serious. Some of your writting was quite humerous eg Mary calling Sloane Rambo etc, but did you start with the intent on making it different than the movies?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: War Wager on Sep 29, 2008, 12:56:22 AM
What does the title 'Turnabout' have to do with the story?
I saw it as the hunter becoming the hunted - Sloane goes out there and starts picking off the Predators, essentially beating them at their own game.

Predator755

Predator755

Quote from: steveperry on Sep 29, 2008, 12:41:52 AM
Quote from: Predator755 on Sep 28, 2008, 11:29:28 PM

Credits elsewhere top the list. Whatever idea you throw at them, they've heard a variation of it before. Ideas are cheap. Execution is what matters. (No matter how brilliant you think your idea is, how original, trust me here, it isn't. I've been there myself many times. It's all been done, and better, and what makes your story unique is that it's you writing it.)

And what counts is the finished product. I got a drawer full of ideas -- they are cheap.

Write and sell something that gets published elsewhere, then you can approach one of the franchised universes. Without credits, why would they pick you if they can pick any of fifty pros who they know can deliver?

Oh! I see! So I wouldnt be starting out there right off the bat, but have to have done other things prior, to prove that I actually can give them something promising, correct?

Cetanu

Cetanu

Quote from: Tyber Zann on Sep 28, 2008, 09:30:05 PM
Quote from: Cetanu on Sep 28, 2008, 08:05:10 PM

Because Sex makes it worth reading  ;D

XD
Sex is why we are all here, and is at the heart of life. No sex, no people. And I think a lot of folks think about it a whole bunch, so I feel it's a valid subject to discuss. Plus, you are supposed to write what you know, and that's one of my areas of expertise ...

Haha, okay, I was just curious. 'Areas of expertise...' ;D

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

They saved lives? At what point exactly? They attacked every human they came upon because they were slowing their trail down. As I can remember they killed 7 in total.
I'm referring to Scar, who protected Lex.

Carnal Calligraphy

Carnal Calligraphy

I apologize, Mr. Perry, if I have in effect offended you in some way. I suppose I was a bit flustered and, in turn, I was unable to express myself as eloquently as I would have liked. If you would be so kind as to hear me out once more, I would like to rephrase my initial sentiments.

Quote from: steveperry on Sep 11, 2008, 06:10:28 PM

The notion that I can't pronounce a word that I made up any way that I want is, not to put too fine a point on it, silly.

I didn't mean to insinuate you having an inability to pronounce a word of your own creation. I was honestly just asking a question.

[/quote]
For me to try and write material that is at odds with what I believe  wouldn't work very well. The German Shepherd Dog comparison pissed a lot of people off because they don't agree, and I can understand that, but since that's what I believe, and I'm the guy putting the words through my fingers for people who believe the same thing, what would you have me do? Jettison my opinion and adopt yours?

Uh, no. My opinion might not be any more valid, but it is mine, and since nobody has put forth any convincing reason why I should dump it and take up theirs, why would I? You think I'm wrong? Fine, no problem. I think I'm right, and I'm the guy who gets to say it in print. If you really have a case you think is watertight, take it to Fox and change their minds. [/quote]

I fully respect your opinion. I guess a better representation of my "point" would be akin to what Xenomrph alluded to after my last post. How much do the fans influence your work? I understand that your opinion trumps all others, but have you ever thought "Hmmm... maybe, despite my views, I should throw something in there for the Alien fans." ? I remember reading "Prey" when I was a considerably young Alien newcomer and thinking - When are the Aliens going to get their turn? - only for it to never come. I can't argue with your idea that an Alien is no match for a Predator, but if that's so, why even have a crossover? What's the point of having such a thrilling title such as AVP, if the content is more like 'humans face a dire dilemma as Predators kill Aliens'? I wouldn't write a book about Polar Bears fighting Penguins, mostly because I don't see that as much of a match. So, I guess I don't really see your point.

[/quote]
If you can do better, you have my blessing to try.
[/quote]

In an extended universe comprised of such a motley of viewpoints, I doubt I could do better. But, perhaps in my own way, just as good?

War Wager

War Wager

Quote from: Alienseseses on Sep 29, 2008, 02:21:54 AM

I'm referring to Scar, who protected Lex.

He was about to blow her head of before the Aliens attacked. He gave her weapons to fend for herself, he never protected her once.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed