Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 188,663 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Do you have a "favorite" licensed franchise you like to work within? I don't mean the actual company like FOX or LucasFilm, but just a franchise itself that you find most enjoyable to write for.

vikingspawn

vikingspawn

This is pretty cool!    StarWars.com just posted an article on the new Indiana Jones novel by Steve Perry!

http://www.starwars.com/vault/books/news200809018.html

Will there be a comics adaptation of the novel too??   ala "Shadows of the Empire" style?    8)

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 19, 2008, 05:24:34 PM
Do you have a "favorite" licensed franchise you like to work within? I don't mean the actual company like FOX or LucasFilm, but just a franchise itself that you find most enjoyable to write for.

I've had good experiences in all of the ones I've worked in. There are drawbacks -- it's their toy and they get the final say if you disagree, and some of what is there you sometimes have to dance around because it don't ring right for you, but by and large, you know that there are limits going in and you accept them. Working for somebody this way is like being a commercial artist -- you have to have the skills to give them what they ask for, otherwise, you can't do the job.

They offer different thrills. Get to hear what Darth Vader thinks in his hyperbaric chamber. Put Ripley through her paces. Spies and martial arts, and mighty-thewed barbarians, they are all fun. I try never to write-down, but do each book as best I can, given time constraints and what is acceptable subject matter. Almost always, I think the books could have been better. Part of that is what they allow; part of it is me.

Dark Horse is easy  because they are all nice folks and knowledgeable pros. They tend to hire people they trust and then leave them alone to do the job. I like everybody I work with there. A handshake is as good as a signed contract, and the universe lets you throw a lot of ammo and use R-rated language. (And Mike Richardson just won an Emmy™ by the by, for the HBO movie on Don Rickles, Mr. Warmth.)

Star Wars, Conan, Net Force, they are all full of professionals who know how the biz works, and also great places to play. There is give-and-take, and sometimes you can convince people your way is better, sometimes not.

On the animated TV end -- Batman, Spider-Man, Streetfighter, Gargoyles, Godzilla, Centurions, and other, lesser known shows, were more constricted and structured, but that's the nature of the medium  -- you had to adhere to the bible they gave you and stick to the outline they approve -- but also fun, most of the time. And you tend to get paid pretty quick, too.

I judge by how willing I would be to go back into the universe and work for the same people, and I'd do that for all of the book folks I mentioned.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Are there any franchises you haven't worked for which you'd like to at some point? This includes franchises you've pitched ideas to but haven't been accepted yet or whatever.

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 20, 2008, 08:48:49 PM
Are there any franchises you haven't worked for which you'd like to at some point? This includes franchises you've pitched ideas to but haven't been accepted yet or whatever.

On the Indy project --  I dunno if there is gonna be a comic tie-in, I haven't heard. I expect to have the draft done and in, next couple weeks.

In the shared-universe writing? I wanted to write a Tarzan novel, and got an offer to do one once, but the money was so bad I couldn't accept it.  My collaborator and I pitched a Star Trek novel, and the editor dropped the ball -- never got back to us, and after a few follow-up emails, we bagged it.

I would have loved to have been involved in several of the big-franchise movies -- Star Wars, Trek, Indiana Jones, X-men, Spider Man, Superman, like that, but I don't have the screen credits to get on their radar.

These days, I'm trying to get more of my original stuff done -- my collaborator and I have written a door-stop fantasy that is making the rounds; I'm writing an urban fantasy about a guy who shepherds people through Buddhist hells in the afterlife. I have one more Matador novel I'd like to do.

I'd go back into some of the SU's I've worked in before, but I'm not looking so much for new venues.

War Wager

War Wager

Was it your daughter that wrote Aliens: DNA War?

SiL

SiL

No, not it wasn't. It was Diane Carey.

War Wager

War Wager

Ah.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

S.D. Perry wrote/co-wrote 'Aliens: The Female War', 'Aliens: Labyrinth', 'Aliens: Berserker', and most recently, 'Aliens: Criminal Enterprise'.

Nobody

Nobody

Hello there.I have 2 simple questions.Did you enjoy writing Earth Hive thru Female War as much as I enjoyed reading them?And on the Queen Mother's homeworld,the huge pods were like giant eggs or similiar to hives?

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: Tyber Zann on Sep 21, 2008, 11:16:22 PM
Hello there.I have 2 simple questions.Did you enjoy writing Earth Hive thru Female War as much as I enjoyed reading them?And on the Queen Mother's homeworld,the huge pods were like giant eggs or similiar to hives?

Depends on how much you enjoyed reading them ...

I had a fine time writing 'em.

My vision of the xenos homeworld came out of the graphic novels -- I hadn't thought about it before I read those, so the illos in the comics were the default for me. (Truth is, I never thought they had a homeworld, I thought they were bioweapons created in a lab somewhere -- I never saw them as naturally -evolved creatures.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Interestingly enough, the 'Aliens: Genocide' novelization retcons out your "homeworld" from The Female War, making it into a "hiveworld", claiming that the Alien homeworld hasn't been located yet (or even conclusively shown if it exists. The other novels and comics tend to go back and forth on the topic and make it ambiguous, probably on orders from FOX to leave it open for a movie. Same reason the Predator "homeworld" wasn't covered in any media until 'AvP: Requiem').

Just a bit of trivia if you weren't aware of it.

War Wager

War Wager

I'll ask the quesion I was going to ask earlier; have you read Aliens: DNA War? If so what do you think of the ideas thrown in eg 'battleballs' etc.

I can't stress enough how much I loathe this 'battleball' idea, it's just ridiculous. The writer clearly hasn't seen an Alien movie in her life. And whats with the Huggers leaving the safety of their eggs to create large swarms and go and find hosts that way?!

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I didn't have a problem with the "battleballs", because it sort of makes sense. If you've got a whole bunch of Aliens going into a to-the-death melee with eachother, they might just tackle eachother, tumble around, and then more Aliens dogpile on and the whole ruckus starts rolling around like a "ball". I don't see it as "contradictory" to the Alien movies because we never see Aliens battling it out with eachother in large swarms in the movies. In fact, if I double-checked the 'Aliens: Genocide' comic series I bet I could find a visual "representation" of one of the "battleballs".

Cetanu

Cetanu

I've some questions for Mr. Perry.

They don't have anything to do with the novels that he wrote....well, directly anyway.

1) When I write, I have a problem transitioning.
i.e. Bob is walking to the store. Something happens while he is walking, but I can string it all together. It's really annoying because I can write single scenes with action or speaking, just...I can't write static scenes.

2) When naming your characters....how do you choose a name that sounds right?!

Thanks ^-^

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed