Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 188,523 times)

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Quote from: War Wager on Jun 09, 2008, 02:24:51 PM
QuoteYes, but its not like there were 3 or 4 running into them before knowing that it can kill them but they were running into the things in droves, even the second time.
So your theory doesnt make any sense.

Considering there are hundereds of Aliens, using some of them to deplete the sentry gun ammo isn't a bad technique.

QuoteI never said it was the only girl, where did i say that?
i just said that they couldnt even kill a little girl, which they couldnt.

They never tried to kill a little girl.

QuoteAnd you already have one that says "Asskisser" 
Sorry Pvt Hicks but it been proven before. ;)

Lol! I don't care, I welcome it. It's very entertaining.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Quote from: steveperry on Jun 09, 2008, 07:32:37 PM

Humans created them both, remember?

Before this starts anything, he doesn't mean that humans bio engineered them. He means that the ideas came from human filmmakers.

Layorz

Layorz

Aliens are sentient, to be sure, but that's not the same as intelligent.

Sooo despite humans being outsmarted by aliens, you claim aliens lack intelligence. Riiigggghhhttt.... Go write a book or something.

Xhan

Xhan

Quote from: SiL on Jun 08, 2008, 09:14:28 AM
Why would they collapse under their own weight?

Because he rather erroneously assumes they are exoskeletal, another DH bullshit-ism.

Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger

Quote from: Layorz on Jun 12, 2008, 01:23:36 AM
Aliens are sentient, to be sure, but that's not the same as intelligent.

Sooo despite humans being outsmarted by aliens, you claim aliens lack intelligence. Riiigggghhhttt.... Go write a book or something.

well a lion could outsmart us out in the wild but that doesnt mean its literaly smarter then us..

War Wager

War Wager

It's all about the enviroment they're in.

Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger

Quote from: War Wager on Jun 14, 2008, 01:47:02 PM
It's all about the enviroment they're in.

true, which makes aliens extra dangerous because they can adapt to any environment..

War Wager

War Wager

In which case, Aliens are smart Mr Perry. But what the heck, you said what you said on an international DVD and now most 'fans' with think the same way too. Congrads.

steveperry

steveperry

With all due respect to your arguments, you are missing the point: A handful of bacteria can kill you -- does that make them more intelligent than you are? Can a lion drive a car? Can lions design and then build a car? 

Complex tool-using is a higher level of function. A chimp can poke a stick into a nest of ants, but that's a pretty simple tool A crow can drop a nut onto a rock from a height. Neither of these actions put them into the league of people who can write on computers created by their kind, using language developed by their kind, discussing abstract philosophy developed by their kind.

Bring me the xenomorph who dreamed up and then built the alien version of the Mac, that'll impress me.
Can't find him? What a surprise.

Intelligence doesn't mean you as an individual can't be stupid, ignorant, or arrogant; it doesn't mean you can't make bad choices. Stick your hand into a rattlesnake's cage and stir the critter up, that's pretty stupid, but there are plenty of humans who have better sense. One idiot doesn't define the species.

Intelligence is a survival characteristic -- if you are circulating acid for blood, have big teeth and tough skin, you don't need to be particularly intelligent to survive. If your queen lays thousands of eggs, you are expendable, and intelligence is a waste.

If, on the other hand, you are furless, have mostly-dull teeth, fragile skin, you can't run fast and aren't strong, relatively-speaking, being smarter than the critters who can outfight and outrun you is a way to stay alive.

Xenomorphs are war toys, developed by some species a whole lot smarter for biological warfare. Nothing else makes any sense. If they evolved naturally, they wouldn't be at the top of their world's food chain, otherwise, why acid for blood? Like the South American frog used for arrow poison, the reason you have acid for blood is to make you taste bad enough to keep something from killing and eating you. Think about it.

You might not like how Dark Horse has developed this universe but they did develop it, and their versions makes a lot more sense than the movie versions.

Humans, as a species, have better reasoning abilities than xenomorphs. Period. Full stop. End of story.

If you can't see that, that's fine. Not my problem. I've tried to tell you, you just don't want to hear it.

What the heck ...

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Thats how i see it too.

But you can try your very best, alien fans wont understand.

Or they understand but still say that youre wrong for the sake of it, and after a while, they believe their own BS.

Which i´m taking pleasure from everytime  :D

War Wager

War Wager

I give up. You'll have your opinions and I'll have mine.

And bugger off Johnny.

SiL

SiL

QuoteXenomorphs are war toys, developed by some species a whole lot smarter for biological warfare. Nothing else makes any sense. If they evolved naturally, they wouldn't be at the top of their world's food chain, otherwise, why acid for blood?
What makes you think that's not the case? Why should they be at the top of their food chain? There might be something which isn't bothered by the acid blood on the planet.

Look at cane toads; used to be a massive problem in Australia because they had no natural predators and they ate anything they could fit in their mouths. People had to go out and manually try to cull the bastards. But in its native habitats, it had predators that either weren't bothered by the poison, or knew to only eat a certain part and avoid it.

Or, maybe like the Alien itself, nothing else on the planet is bothered by the acid blood; it's a side-effect of the location, not an evolutionary adaptation.

QuoteYou might not like how Dark Horse has developed this universe but they did develop it, and their versions makes a lot more sense than the movie versions.
Uh, no. That's ... no. That doesn't even fall into opinion. Dark Horse can't even tell which direction its ass is in when it comes to these franchises; the sheer number of blatant contradictions between comics and novels is astounding, and didn't they say to ignore the existing work for the new line of novels they're churning out?

Until AvP Requiem came along there really hadn't been any major divergences with the creature portrayal in the films.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Sil hit the nail on the head.  The acid blood could be an evolutionary development that has nothing to do with defense.  It could have to do with electrically powered senses or some other means that humans on THIS planet can't understand because we don't know.  Maybe it defends them from high radiation, maybe it keeps them warm internally, maybe acid blood is capable of generating more pressure than human blood making them powerful enough to hold down and skullf**k preds.

And it doesn't make sense to create them as war weapons unless you deliberately designed the creatures to be nightmare inducing.  A virus that has no restraint on its lifecycle could do much worse because it wouldn't have to worry about being a big eaty thing before it killed you.  People would spread the virus and start dying before everybody else knew what was happening.  Most beneficial also was that if you had a disease that was compatible with messing over humans, there'd be no antidote readily available.  Simply altering the strain of flu takes a HUGE amount of time and money to combat and come up with vaccinations.  Thats why a couple of years ago bird flu was so feared.  It had a high mortality rate and a simple flu shot wouldn't do you a damn bit of good.

With an alien monster you can grab a gun and kill it.  And at the very least it has a self limiting design feature including in it's reproductive cycle.  It has to have other host to reproduce, and it has to have time.

And again, this argument is defining intelligence by human standards.  Their culture might be ingrained in the hive walls, their computing network might BE the hive. 

It's like scientist today saying things can't exist because of established "laws" of science, when things like blackholes and the effects they have on space/time truly distort what is known and unknown.

Maybe the Aliens ARE stupid.  Maybe they are genius.  The movies that leave their intelligence and motivations in the dark are the best of the series imo.  My beef isn't that the aliens are dumb, it's that the books and comics repeatedly indicate or flat out state they are dumb when the debate hasn't been close to settled by the films.  And I don't think the EU can expand what is unknown about the franchises before the movies do and be taken with much consideration.

Since Alien 3 and Alien Res destroyed about a dozen comic continuity's by themselves.

It is what it is.  I can respect Steve's opinion, but I don't agree with it.

steveperry

steveperry

Bacteria and viruses mutate, sometimes into something that is harmless, sometimes into something more deadly. Turning loose a bunch of microorganisms might come back to haunt you. Macroorganisms, like Xenos, kill the hosts and then die when they run out of things to infect, and if any survive, you can see them coming, unlike germs. Good enough for clearing large animals and leaving small ones. Sometimes itty bitty bugs kill everything from shrews to elephants if they are nasty enough.

Like I've said before, I have no problem with a different opinion, especially one that is at least considered reasonably, whether I agree with the reasoning or not. I articulate mine as well as I can, I don't begrudge you yours. What bugs me is when people start name-calling when I don't buy their view.

How I see it seems self-evident to me, but disagreements are what make a horse race.

War Wager

War Wager

I'm back in the game.

Overall, theres really only two movies that support your opinion, Aliens and AvP Requiem. The other four show them to be smart sons of bitches.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed