Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 187,729 times)

Flaming Firefox

Flaming Firefox

Quote from: SiL on Jun 08, 2008, 09:14:28 AM
Why would they collapse under their own weight?

I'm wondering what reasons they would give too.
According to what I've read the Alien weighs around 350lbs. That isn't exactly that heavy. Especially if you consider they have an endo and exoskeletal systems to support them. I'm sorry I don't buy that argument. At least the original Aliens body is built like a human. A 350lb human at that height isn't snapping under their own weight. I'm sure you can find lots of pro-basketball players that big.

That's just a rediculous argument.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

QuotePreds always die when they get cocky; Aliens only die when you do your damnedest to kill them because they're not going to make stupid mistakes and let slip.
What??
Look at the characters of every alien and predator movie, look at Harrigan and Dutch, they had a much harder time killing a Predator then any Character in the alien movies. Ripley dont even had a scratch in the fist alien movie, but Harrigan And Dutch were going through hell to kill one Predator and not 20 - 30 aliens like in Aliens.
f**k, aliens cant even manage to kill a little girl!!
Its really ridiculous to say an alien gives you a harder time then a predator, look, if there is one alien out there and you had a shotgun, you have a chance of 70% to survive and maybe a 10 - 20 % chance to kill a Predator. Thats the way it is.
QuoteAnd no, I don't count "running into sentry guns" a stupid mistake.
But it is.

Ohh and Aliens are the least smartest beings when you compare them to us or to Predators. Thats the way it is.

War Wager

War Wager

QuoteQuote
And no, I don't count "running into sentry guns" a stupid mistake.
But it is.

Ohh and Aliens are the least smartest beings when you compare them to us or to Predators. Thats the way it is.

In certain situations, no they're not.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Jun 08, 2008, 02:58:35 PM
but Harrigan And Dutch were going through hell to kill one Predator and not 20 - 30 aliens like in Aliens.
Dutch and Harrigan didn't have an airlock handy. Not to mention they still only won when the Predator got cocky, stopped paying attention, and let itself get killed.

Quotef**k, aliens cant even manage to kill a little girl!!
So you're saying Newt was the only little girl in the colony? The colony of 157 people that all got killed? Are you really that retarded?

QuoteIts really ridiculous to say an alien gives you a harder time then a predator, look, if there is one alien out there and you had a shotgun, you have a chance of 70% to survive and maybe a 10 - 20 % chance to kill a Predator. Thats the way it is.
And this has nothing to do with what I said.

I said Predators always die when they get cocky.

Aliens don't.

It may be easier to kill an Alien, but when you do kill it, it's because you fought. When you kill a Predator, it's because it got stupid.

QuoteBut it is.
It's only a mistake if you know you're not supposed to do it, but happen to do it anyway. The Aliens had never encountered sentry guns before, so assuming they should know how to deal with them is stupid.

When they attacked the second time, clearly what they were doing was working because the weapons ran out. If the Aliens had pressed on a few seconds more, they would've got through.

And considering sending waves of individuals into guns is something humans have a long history of doing, I don't see how you can say that instance proves they're less intelligent.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Johnny needs a big stamp on his big forehead that says "OWNED". What a great reply, SiL.

The Diesel

The Diesel

Well, maybe not collapse per se, but the tubes on the back would be a serious impediment as far as making them top heavy.  I'm thinking more along the lines of the American Godzilla collapsing under its own weight.  I probably shouldn't have said anything.

SiL

SiL

If the tubes are just that - Tubes - then they wouldn't be all that heavy anyway.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

QuoteDutch and Harrigan didn't have an airlock handy.
No, they just had the most modern and powerfull weapons available, including alien technology.

QuoteSo you're saying Newt was the only little girl in the colony? The colony of 157 people that all got killed? Are you really that retarded?
I never said it was the only girl, where did i say that?
i just said that they couldnt even kill a little girl, which they couldnt.

I said Predators always die when they get cocky.

Aliens don't.
That just makes the alien even weaker, Predators die when they get cocky, otherwise there is almost no way to kill them, aliens try their very best  and are still killed...
That makes them even weaker.

It may be easier to kill an Alien, but when you do kill it, it's because you fought.
So harrigan and dutch didnt fight??
Are you that retarded?
Hell, what did ripley do?? She opened an airlock, wow!!
Dutch and harrigan fought atleast with weapons.

QuoteIt's only a mistake if you know you're not supposed to do it, but happen to do it anyway. The Aliens had never encountered sentry guns before, so assuming they should know how to deal with them is stupid.
Yes, but its not like there were 3 or 4 running into them before knowing that it can kill them but they were running into the things in droves, even the second time.
So your theory doesnt make any sense.

QuoteJohnny needs a big stamp on his big forehead that says "OWNED". What a great reply, SiL.
And you already have one that says "Asskisser"  :)

Flaming Firefox

Flaming Firefox

Quote from: The Diesel on Jun 09, 2008, 04:25:35 AM
Well, maybe not collapse per se, but the tubes on the back would be a serious impediment as far as making them top heavy.  I'm thinking more along the lines of the American Godzilla collapsing under its own weight.  I probably shouldn't have said anything.

The American Zilla is another story true.

I think the tubes, being hollow shouldn't add to much weight. There were dinosaurs that used to live that had huge spines, plates etc. running down their backs, they were also much heavier than an alien. They didn't have exoskeletons either that we know of. They were able to live.  ;)

War Wager

War Wager

QuoteYes, but its not like there were 3 or 4 running into them before knowing that it can kill them but they were running into the things in droves, even the second time.

Considering there are hundereds of Aliens, using some of them to deplete the sentry gun ammo isn't a bad technique.

QuoteI never said it was the only girl, where did i say that?

They never tried to kill a little girl.

QuoteAnd you already have one that says "Asskisser" 
Sorry Pvt Hicks but it been proven before. ;)

steveperry

steveperry

With all due respect to the running argument, crab grass is hard to kill, but that doesn't make it intelligent.

War Wager

War Wager

Now we're comparing Aliens to grass?

The Diesel

The Diesel

Quote from: steveperry on Jun 09, 2008, 03:37:12 PM
With all due respect to the running argument, crab grass is hard to kill, but that doesn't make it intelligent.

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: War Wager on Jun 09, 2008, 04:51:14 PM
Now we're comparing Aliens to grass?

Nah, we're making the point that being hard to kill does not equal intelligence.

The term implies the ability to learn (and how quickly) and utilize knowledge, not how much you know, or how tough you are. By this measure, Aliens come third behind humans and Predators.

Humans created them both, remember?

Aliens are sentient, to be sure, but that's not the same as intelligent.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Jun 09, 2008, 12:19:19 PM
I never said it was the only girl, where did i say that?
But they obviously killed plenty of others.

QuoteThat just makes the alien even weaker, Predators die when they get cocky, otherwise there is almost no way to kill them, aliens try their very best  and are still killed...
That makes them even weaker.
No, it doesn't.

If Predators weren't running around with their invisibility, hiding as far as possible from their opponent while sniping, they wouldn't last half as long. Every time they turn the cloak off and go in for the fight, they get their asses handed to them. Deus ex machina keeps them alive; stupidity kills them dead.

QuoteSo harrigan and dutch didnt fight??
Again, I never said that. But it was only when the Predator let slip that they got killed, not because of a barrage of awesome from either guy.

QuoteHell, what did ripley do?? She opened an airlock, wow!!
Good point. I loved that scene in Predator 2 where it showed Predators would in no way be affected by explosive decompression.

QuoteYes, but its not like there were 3 or 4 running into them before knowing that it can kill them but they were running into the things in droves, even the second time.
Firstly, we don't ever find out how many die - We never even get an idea of how many die. Secondly, as I said, running into gunfire is a human tactic - waves of unarmed people were sent charging into heavy machine guns at Gallipoli, for example. Well, by "unarmed" I mean "armed with bayonets", but close as makes no difference. So you can't say "oh look the Aliens are dumber than humans for running into guns!" when it's something humans were doing looong before Jim Cameron was even born.

Quote from: steveperry on Jun 09, 2008, 03:37:12 PM
Oh for God's sake. When did I ever say it did? All I said in the first place was that Aliens aren't ever going to die because they get preoccupied stroking their egos; Johnny, being the raging Pred fanboy that he is, took this as an attack and now it's getting stupid.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed