Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 188,622 times)

The Diesel

The Diesel

I hope Mr. Perry comes back here.  I would love the chance to talk to him some.  The guy is brilliant.

steveperry

steveperry

Except for the latest original story I did for Predators, I was dealing with graphic novels that needed to be translated to book form. I though I did an okay job on those, I added some things that I thought worked, but the real credit goes to Dark Horse -- the writers, artists, editors, and publisher. They had some really good ideas, and I wish the movie folks would have used them.

My small contribution to the series (with my daughter) had to do with the Predators's backstory, a small bit of their culture, and we were pleased with how that came out.

Some fans loved it, some hated it, but that's how it goes. Never please everybody in a universe like this.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Ever think about writing a another aliens novel set during the earthwar?

Since it seems that the new books are crossing in and out of the comic eu.

Somewhat surprised its never been done.  Having a group of people on earth as things slowly go to hell would be pretty interesting.  Maybe have some average joe trying to make a spaceport with Aliens slowly encroaching singularly and en masse on his journey.

Maybe throw in some of the fanatics, (to diversify the action slightly) and have the military confrontation as a backdrop to the guy's personal story.

Of course its been glimpsed in Outbreak/Earthhive and then Female War, but I only feel those books touched the potential of that situation.

SiL

SiL

I think Female War pretty solidly nailed the idea. That, and the short "Countdown".

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I don't really think so.  Female War was a resolution to various different storylines, and featured the earth almost entirely annihilated already.

Outbreak/earthhive only had it as minor story focuses.

I'm thinking something along the lines of Romero (or the remake) Dotd, or 28 days/weeks.  Where you have characters trapped in that situation with no out, and they have to survive on their own.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

That, Kimarhi, is a fantastic and somewhat fresh idea and very very new for the Aliens franchise. I only have one thing to say - Make it so.

The Diesel

The Diesel

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 05, 2008, 04:20:47 AM
Ever think about writing a another aliens novel set during the earthwar?

Since it seems that the new books are crossing in and out of the comic eu.

Somewhat surprised its never been done.  Having a group of people on earth as things slowly go to hell would be pretty interesting.  Maybe have some average joe trying to make a spaceport with Aliens slowly encroaching singularly and en masse on his journey.

Maybe throw in some of the fanatics, (to diversify the action slightly) and have the military confrontation as a backdrop to the guy's personal story.

Of course its been glimpsed in Outbreak/Earthhive and then Female War, but I only feel those books touched the potential of that situation.
I really loved the war it was written.  I recently bought the Aliens Omnibus and it is rather disappointing to read after having read your novelizations.  I feel like a lot was added. 

I also wanted to be clear about the fact that I love your Predator back story as well.  I have read the Aliens vs Predator books and absolutely love them.  I just wanted to first acknowledge the fact that I love the Alien series.  Then I wanted to talk about the Predator series.  Like I said, I am a huge fan.  The whole characterization of the Predators that was established in Aliens vs Predator: Prey really gave them a whole new depth.  It's great and added so much.   

I do have a couple of questions for you.  First I was wondering where the best place to get your new Predator book, Turnabout, was?  I have went to the local Books a Million and they don't seem to be able to get it in within a reasonable time.  I really don't care for Books a Million that much because their Science Fiction section is severely lacking.  I just go there because it's the closest book store.  If you have a link or recommendation for a website or store that has your new book I would really appreciate it.

My other question is would you consider writing a Colonial Marines story?  From what I've read you have a great appreciation of James Cameron's film and I think you could do a bang up job on a Colonial Marines story.  I know I would love it.

Oh yeah, I also wanted to mention that I love your daughter's Resident Evil series.  I have all those books and have read through them at least four times.  She's a fantastic writer.  Are there some other Science Fiction books she's done?  If so, I would love to check them out.

Thanks again Mr. Perry.

Russell

Bishop2

Bishop2

My question is simply "When is Turnabout coming out now?" Because I thought it was supposed to be February 27, but not even online stores have it yet...

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Darkhorse has always been a pain in the ass about releasing stuff on time.

As a youngster collecting comics, I'd eventually learn just to wait till the end of the year and buy all their stuff at one time.  Because it would be delayed.  Often.

felix

felix

I am actively looking for Predator:Turnabout myself.. Does anyone know what rthe actual release date is?

P.S Mr Perry, I am a Yuatja fan all the way!

AdamBombOi

AdamBombOi

As far as Turnabout goes, here is what Amazon sent me when I preordered it.

"Hello from Amazon.com.

We're writing about the order you placed on February 11 2008 00:15 PST
(Order# xxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxx). Unfortunately, we are unable to ship the item(s) as soon as we expected and need to provide you with a new estimate of when the item(s) may be delivered:

Steve Perry (Author) "Predator: Turnabout (Predator)" [Paperback]
    Estimated arrival date: 04/24/2008 - 04/28/2008"

steveperry

steveperry

Dark Horse has gotten hosed by a couple of distributors -- went belly up, and left them in fairly dire straits. They are getting it all sorted out, but it has caused some delays across the board.

Amazon.com shows Turnabout, last time I looked.( I know it exists because I'm looking at a copy my editor sent me. A matter of getting it out of the warehouse ...)

Steve

AdamBombOi

AdamBombOi

Hey Steve, got my copy in the mail from amazon today! Reading it right now, and I must say, it's kickin some ass!

Update: 100 pages in, and I am loving the story! Sloane is one decrepit old hardass, and Regal is a flat out p.o.s.

The dialogue is superb, especially the gun info, seems like you REALLY went all out on getting stuff right. This is all playing out in my head like movie, and I love it!

steveperry

steveperry

Yeah, well, the gun-guys get irritated if I mess up the gun stuff, so I research that, ask folks who know, to make sure I get it right. My daughter worked on this one with me, even though she doesn't get a cover credit. We think it came out okay.

AdamBombOi

AdamBombOi

You'll certainly succeeded with the gun stuff! No one will be let down with that!

Just about done with Turnabout.

I don't want to say to much to spoil it for anyone, but brother you did a fantastic job with giving the characters life, made me care what happens to them, and giving the Predators in the book more of a original feel, in the sense of Predator 1. Bang up imagery too, it's easy to see why your AVP books were and still are so beloved.

Can't wait to finish the book, thanks for writing it!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed