Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 188,627 times)

Commander Aun

Commander Aun

Quote from: JungleHunter on Jan 07, 2008, 08:50:49 PM
Mr. Perry:

I am a big fan of your work, mostly AVP: Prey and Shadows of the Empire.  I really enjoyed the "Yautja" concept of the Predators that you established and was very disappointed that it is not being followed in the current novels.  I really liked how you got inside Dachande's head and told much of the story from his perspective.  Will your new Predator novel do this as well? 

Also, now that AVP: Requiem is out, what did you think of it? (If you have seen it.)  What did you like and what would you have changed?

Thanks.  I appreciate your answering our questions.

I think he said in an earlier interview about the book that it wont be yautja based, just a predator like the ones from the original films.

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: Khan on Jan 11, 2008, 09:34:33 PM
Quote from: JungleHunter on Jan 07, 2008, 08:50:49 PM
Mr. Perry:

I am a big fan of your work, mostly AVP: Prey and Shadows of the Empire.  I really enjoyed the "Yautja" concept of the Predators that you established and was very disappointed that it is not being followed in the current novels.  I really liked how you got inside Dachande's head and told much of the story from his perspective.  Will your new Predator novel do this as well? 

Also, now that AVP: Requiem is out, what did you think of it? (If you have seen it.)  What did you like and what would you have changed?

Thanks.  I appreciate your answering our questions.

I have to say that I was less than impressed. Nice EFX, but I they'd have given one of the comic or novel wrters a shot at the script. I don't think this one will have producers lined up to do another one.

Bob Saget

Bob Saget

steve did you see avpr? if so, whatd you think?

Bishop2

Bishop2

Quote from: Bob Saget on Jan 24, 2008, 10:13:11 PM
steve did you see avpr? if so, whatd you think?

I do believe he just answered that in the post above yours. :)

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: steveperry on Jan 24, 2008, 06:13:22 PM
I don't think this one will have producers lined up to do another one.

The money will always bring 'em back.  Expect the next one to have just as low a budget as this last one, with just as many 'good' decisions made, and a good chunk of the money wasted on one prime example of terrible design. ;)

steveperry

steveperry

I haven't seen any official budget on AvPR -- heard various numbers up to about sixty million.
The general rule of thumb is that to make a profit, a movie has to make about 2.5 times what it costs for production and prints. AvPR apparent did much better overseas than here, and with DVD sales, will probably break $150 million worldwide, so it's certainly possible that it will earn enough to get another one going.

I'd hate to see the franchise die, but I sure hope they find somebody who can come up with something that doesn't get nominated for the Razzies next time out.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm finding that hard to believe. The last two have both been nominated for Razzies now. It's what happens when they let idiots like Salerno write and fanboys direct. I just want someone who wont claim to be a massive fan and etc and etc. So many promises...so little delivered.

Rafael S.

Rafael S.

Hi Mr. Perry,

I want to be a future comic/movie script writter and I was thinking if it sound good to you a comic about Wolf's (predator in AVP R) past. I am working on the script and I even have a post on the fan section but anyways do you think my idea would work? ;)

Space Disc Jockey

Space Disc Jockey

I honestly don't know why it's so difficult for Hollywood to hire a good screenwriter to write a good AvP story. I mean, they chose Shane to write the script again and the script/story was one of the BIG problems of the first AvP film. I just don't get it. They couldn't find a different writer for the sequel?

I think Steve is right...they should hire a comic/novel writer for the next film.

Steve, if you were ever offered to write a AVP, Alien or Predator script, would you do it?

Naissus

Naissus

"Steve, if you were ever offered to write a AVP, Alien or Predator script, would you do it?"

That would be a dream come true.  Steve your book Aliens vs. Predator: Prey is the reason why I love the two series so much.

steveperry

steveperry

I expect I'd be pleased to take a shot at it. Unlikely, though. There are some very strange stories down in La-La-Land, I've been involved in a few.

They don't think like normal people down there. I talked recently to somebody who should have written the second AvP movie, heard his idea, and it would have been terrific. He had plenty of credits and should have gotten the job, but didn't, and for reasons having to do with ego. Lot of that going around in Hollywood.

Too bad.

It's amazing that good movies get made, given what they have to go through. 

Space Disc Jockey

Space Disc Jockey

I'm sure you and the other writer would've made one hell of a AVP story/script, for sure. It's a shame Fox is f**king this up. I'm surprised it's really been difficult to get it "right".

All they have to do is look at what made the previous films "work" and apply that to an original story. I don't think an original setting/story would be really difficult to do, since Darkhorse comics was able to make some very interesting AVP stories.

Fox should've hired a Darkhorse comic/graphic novel writer, or one of the Alien/Predator novel writers, such as yourself, to write the sequel. Fox was blind to the fact that it wasn't just the look of the creatures and lack of gore that was the problem with the first AVP film, but also, the story, human characters and how the Alien/Predator were written.

Anyway, I was hoping it would only take one AVP film to get it "right", but it's a shame to see that AVP-R tried, but also failed. I guess it will take three films (hopefully) to do it.

The Diesel

The Diesel

I cannot believe I have not looked in this forum before.  Steve Perry actually talks to the fans!  I am so excited right now I really can't think of a good question.  I will just say that I am a HUGE fan of your writing Mr. Perry.  I am also a huge fan of your daughter's writing as well.  I have about seventeen pages to read through to see what all has been asked and said before I can really get up to speed but I did want to say something since I saw this thread. 

Mr. Perry,

I just wanted to say that your writing in the Alien Universe is absolutely brilliant.  If it weren't for me reading Earth Hive, Nightmare Asylum, and The Female War I would not be in this forum.  Reading those books completely rekindled my enthusiasm for this entire franchise.  I know you have authored many other works but I wanted to tell you how much those three novels affected me.  I discovered them in a bookstore about three years ago and had to get them.  It hadn't dawned on me that there were books written about this franchise.  Anyway, I know I'm rambling but I wanted to say thank you for contributing to the Alien Universe.  I think your work is brilliant and I am very glad that you have written what you have.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Russell Davis

nexus

nexus

Hi Mr Perry, another wee question for you.

alot of people seem to slate teh original AVP movie for the Pred/human team up which featured in your book prey.
how do you feel towards the comments saying that was one of the things that ruined the film. do you stand by your desicion to write that into one of your stories? do you regret it now?

sorry if this has been asked before

SiL

SiL

Mr. Perry didn't exactly have a choice - It was in the comic he was adapting.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed