Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 188,629 times)

SiL

SiL

Does Who Goes There count as sci-fi?

In any case, it should be read anyway. The Thing's version of the ending was better, but the novella really gives you that paranoid feelin'.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

John Carpenters movie is one of the best movies there is at projecting that feeling.

Its been along time since I read the short, but I remember thinking JC's version was infinately more superior. 

Wasn't WGT's creature a psychic shapeshifter?

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: SiL on Nov 05, 2007, 04:35:53 AM
Does Who Goes There count as sci-fi?

In any case, it should be read anyway. The Thing's version of the ending was better, but the novella really gives you that paranoid feelin'.

Where can I get that?

SiL

SiL

Online!

http://www.outpost31.com/books/who.txt

Quote from: Kimarhi on Nov 05, 2007, 04:45:47 AM
No; that was an unused concept for the film. WGT's version was very much a physical shapeshifter.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: SiL on Nov 05, 2007, 04:56:20 AM
Online!

http://www.outpost31.com/books/who.txt

Quote from: Kimarhi on Nov 05, 2007, 04:45:47 AM
No; that was an unused concept for the film. WGT's version was very much a physical shapeshifter.

Cool. Thanks.

steveperry

steveperry

[quote
Well, technically, we don't necessarily have any proof that Predators have a higher IQ than that of apes. :)

I've theorised in another part of the forum, that it might not be they who do the physical creating of their technology. They use it, sure, but how would they get a high enough definition of texture perception, using thermal vision, to even create vacuum tubes or the lightbulb, let alone primitive computer microchips? I don't even understand how they'd have anything like microscopes. Steve, help me out here - how did your Yautja evolve to do that kind of stuff? :) Did that sort of thing ever come into the equation?

They use technology, sure, but most of it is fairly standard point-and-click stuff (Leonardo DiVinci could be trained how to fly an F-22, but would never understand how it functioned). Their medical knowledge seems to suggest a fair degree of intelligence, but again, I'm fairly certain an ape could be trained to carry out similar field procedures as they do, with enough mental indoctrination.
[/quote]

Uh, you know of any apes that have been trained to fly starships? And nobody has really spoken to the technology in the yautja suits or ships -- it could be biological and not mechanical, and their version of computer chips might nothing like ours. What they do in a different spectrum of light or radio might be totally different but could effectively achieve the same ends. Light microscopes don't work the same way as electron microscopes, do they?

Since I've been inside their heads and have given you their thought processes, then I know they are are as smart as we are, and if you've read the first AvP, you know it too, so that dumb-as-apes scenario doesn't work. Fox let it get by, and if it's not canon, it has at least been spoken to.

This is the same Leonardo who came up with the theory of the helicopter?

Da Vinci might not understand the technical principles of jet flight -- I'm not sure most people walking around do -- but with a teacher who understood them, he could be taught how it worked in short order.
Anybody who has ever seen a squid move could be shown the connection. Old Leo had the same mental hardware as we do. Intelligence is the not same as ignorance, and Leo was brighter than most. Show him the principles, I believe he could grok it. No reason he couldn't.

Take somebody who barely knows the moves of chess and spend fifty hours or so teaching them and practicing two-move chess problems and in that narrow arena, they can keep up with world-class players. Can't beat them in a real game, but they can solve the two-move problems as quickly.

Knowledge cures ignorance, and a thing may be told simply if the teller understands it properly.

The theory that yautja are using borrowed tech and aren't too bright is a interesting thought, but there's no evidence of it, and it doesn't stand very close to Occam's Razor. And since I've been there, I know it ain't so ...

SiL

SiL

And a stork magically dropping a baby on the front doorstep of a person's house is simpler than an exchange of bodily fluids which results in two single-celled organisms meeting, then rapidly dividing and developing over a period of approximately nine months to form a human being ;)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

*remembers episode of Sabrina* Mitosis is the process of cell division. God, that show taught me many things regarding life.  :P

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: steveperry on Nov 05, 2007, 06:02:51 PM
Uh, you know of any apes that have been trained to fly starships?

If it's not much different to flying combat jets, then yeah - the US Air Force was attempting precisely that, a number of decades ago. :)

Space shuttles are as complicated as they are because of having to compensate for things Predator spaceships don't, like angle of atmospheric entry and so on. The latter seems like they'd be infinitely more easier to cruise around in. They just glide in whatever direction you want them to. They can come to a floating stop, so they don't have to bother about friction in the upper atmosphere, if they don't want to.

Asuming they don't have some sort of energy shields, that is, which would render all of that null and void, regardless. :)

Also, when I gave the alternative of them chartering ships, I qualified the remark of there also being no reason why they might not charter crews, too. Doing so has the advantage of letting their entire society concentrate on nothing but hunting.

QuoteAnd nobody has really spoken to the technology in the yautja suits or ships -- it could be biological and not mechanical, and their version of computer chips might nothing like ours. What they do in a different spectrum of light or radio might be totally different but could effectively achieve the same ends. Light microscopes don't work the same way as electron microscopes, do they?

Sure, but I've always wondered how they'd invent that sort of stuff, if they perceive their environment on a purely thermal basis. Great for hunting living things. Crap for doing much more than discovering how to make fire. :) The way in which all their images seem to blur into a messy smudge makes it difficult to imagine them even getting to the stage of of Babbage. Fine detail on things like cold plastic or metal don't seem like anything they'd be good at - or mediocre, for that matter.

Alternatively, what we've seen form their perspective might be the result of surgical ocular implants. Perhaps they had heat vision fitted for hunts and see in a different way, naturally?

Serpents are different. They add heat detection to a normal method of light detection. Something like that would have the best of both worlds. Predators, unfortunately, don't. Even if they're manipulating biological technology, they still have to have evolved to the stage where they'd be able to do it.

Unless, as I say, they took it from someone else or literally bought it.

QuoteSince I've been inside their heads and have given you their thought processes, then I know they are are as smart as we are, and if you've read the first AvP, you know it too, so that dumb-as-apes scenario doesn't work. Fox let it get by, and if it's not canon, it has at least been spoken to.

Oh, indeed. Your interpretation of Predators makes them a great deal more than that and, truthfully, I'd like them to be capable of having invented and created their own equipment. Nevertheless, going purely by what we've seen on the films, if we're going to say Aliens have never been proven as having high intelligence, we could say the same about Predators. The only question is how and where they get their technology. :)

I'd also point out that I find it curious, for a species to truly have been capable of doing such things for such a very long time, that their technology has stagnated and not advanced very much further, by the time of the Colonial Marines and the sort of things Hudson alluded us having access to.

QuoteThis is the same Leonardo who came up with the theory of the helicopter?

Wasn't it a result of simply trying to adapt a falling sycamore seed to a machine-like construct? The concept was ahead of its time, but I don't think he would have had a clue as to why, even if someone had told him so. :)

QuoteDa Vinci might not understand the technical principles of jet flight -- I'm not sure most people walking around do -- but with a teacher who understood them, he could be taught how it worked in short order.
Anybody who has ever seen a squid move could be shown the connection. Old Leo had the same mental hardware as we do. Intelligence is the not same as ignorance, and Leo was brighter than most. Show him the principles, I believe he could grok it. No reason he couldn't.

Surely so, but if we're saying Predators developed all their own technology without external help, the analogy falls down.

Jet engines can loosely be explained as 'like' a squid or octopus, but those of Da Vinci's time would never have worked out what all those miniature turbine blades or ducts and piping are for. What's the point of it being given oil? Why not put much more plentiful muddy water in it? Why isn't it getting bigger as it breathes the air in? Why is the air coming out hot? Etcetera.

QuoteTake somebody who barely knows the moves of chess and spend fifty hours or so teaching them and practicing two-move chess problems and in that narrow arena, they can keep up with world-class players. Can't beat them in a real game, but they can solve the two-move problems as quickly.

Knowledge cures ignorance, and a thing may be told simply if the teller understands it properly.

I agree he could be taught. If we went back in time and gave the Roman Empire access to modern firearms, they might even be able to replicate them (if also given the right understanding of how to make the correct alloys). On the other hand, even if Da Vinci stripped the down something as revolutionary as the F-22 (or even a Spitfire), on his own and without any guiding knowledge, he'd be completely lost.

Might make a nice sculpture out of it, though. :)

QuoteThe theory that yautja are using borrowed tech and aren't too bright is a interesting thought, but there's no evidence of it, and it doesn't stand very close to Occam's Razor. And since I've been there, I know it ain't so...

I'd like to think that were the case, too. Going purely on the films, however, without having any guarantees that the Predators invented and manufactured their own (relatively easy to use, if going by their usual point-and-click interface) technology, there's nothing to say their intelligence level is necessarily any higher than a particulally blood-thirsty monkey - or even aggressive tarantula, come to that.

They understand the principles of worlds being seperated by the gulf of space, but a chimpanzee would understand the idea of two islands having to be crossed by water, too.

I would personally say it all rests on if their science came from conquest/chartering or domestic inventiveness.

While there's nothing to prove they didn't developed it themselves, their lack of texture/detail-related visual perception and bizarre stagnation of technology appear to suggest they that they could just as easily be getting the stuff from somewhere else.

Heck, for all that we know, they found a derelict-like automated factory belonging to some long-dead advanced species and just started cranking the stuff out. :)

I'd like to imagine Predators are just as inventive and resourceful as reflected in the Yautja portrayal, I just think there are alternatives which, if true (not saying I necessarily believe them; only that they're possible), could account for what would otherwise be a couple of anomolies: Unsuitable visual perception and lack of future technological advancement.

And also perhaps put Predators and Aliens on a much more even intellectual level than is usually assumed.

And once again, I thank you, as a professional, for coming here and even taking the time to read this stuff. :)

steveperry

steveperry

Bizarre stagnation of technology? Never heard the concept, If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Trying to teach apes to fly a jet is not the same as pulling it off. You can try to fly by jumping off a roof and waving your arms really fast, too, but that doesn't mean it is going to work.

That you might not be able to reverse engineer a piece of technology three or four hundred years past what you know, all by yourself, is not evidence for lack of intelligence at all. IQ is not just a measure of learned knowledge, but of ability to process knowledge. Most school kids today know more than the brightest people alive two hundred years ago. But that doesn't make the kids smart.

It's like a terrier knows a rat -- I know smart when I see it, and the Yautja are smart. Save for the Queen, the Xenomorphs are not. Anything else is wishful thinking.

Some things will change, but who is to say what they will be, in an alien --- generically-speaking here -- culture?

Hunters on Earth today tend to do it pretty much the same way they did two hundred years ago. Sure, there are scopes and other toys, but essentially, a guy tromps around in the woods or on the veldt and bags an animal using a weapon that works pretty much the same way they did during the revolutionary war -- pull the trigger, it goes bang! and a small metal missile flies off and at the target.

There are guys who still do it using black powder weapons.

Sure, a scoped 30-06 deer rifle is advanced over a Kentucky flintlock, but you can kill a critter just as dead with the old weapon as with the new. And that is how some people choose to do it.

And let's not forget all those guys who go deer-hunting with bows and arrows. Again, the bows are high-tech -- in some cases. In some, there are hunters who deliberately stay low-tech, to give the prey more of a chance. Longbows. Spears against boars, or in some cases, until recently, against lions.

All you've seen in the Predator movies are the good old boys who go hunting, and they aren't necessarily representative of the culture back home. While Dachande and the boys are out bagging aliens and oomans, maybe Mozande is home listening to the local version of Bach or Pachelbel and arranging flowers.

If you judged humans by Billy Bob and Jimmy Joe out poaching deer in the swamp, you'd miss a fair amount of the culture ...

And to judge from the movies alone -- which you don't get to do, since you have read the books -- there's no reason to assume borrowed technology. Be just as easy to assume the Yautja hunters are handicapping themselves by using heat vision only and their version of bows and arrows to take the local game, based on how human models work. Maybe they can adjust their vision by an act of will. Maybe it is considered dishonorable to do it any other way.

Truth is, the screenwriters never thought past how cool it would look for POV shots in infrared.

It's a fine theory, they swiped their tech, but no matter how much lipstick you put on it, it's still a pig ...

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

QuoteIt's a fine theory, they swiped their tech, but no matter how much lipstick you put on it, it's still a pig ...

John Shirley would beg to differ.

SiL

SiL

And not only is the author dead, but apparently according to DH Press, so are all the older books!

*tap dances*

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 06, 2007, 08:10:30 PM
QuoteIt's a fine theory, they swiped their tech, but no matter how much lipstick you put on it, it's still a pig ...

John Shirley would beg to differ.

That's okay, Shirley's been wrong before, one more won't matter ...

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

*coughs* Hoho! What makes your interpretation anymore valid than his? His was approved by Fox and going by your comments earlier...that makes his whole they stole technology and enslaved race version just as canonical as yours. Which when it boils down to it, neither of them are.

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 07, 2007, 11:19:16 PM
*coughs* Hoho! What makes your interpretation anymore valid than his? His was approved by Fox and going by your comments earlier...that makes his whole they stole technology and enslaved race version just as canonical as yours. Which when it boils down to it, neither of them are.

Mistakes? Ask John about Rothbell, next time you see him. We go way back, he and I. Before most of the fans here were born, I expect.

If the books don't count, if only the movies are canon, then the Predators are intelligent, ipso facto, judging strictly on their actions and equipment. They have shift-suits, personal atomic bombs, FTL travel, and a code of honor, as evidenced by not killing pregnant females. Being able to use such tools requires more wherewithal than your average chimp. They have a written and spoken language, with the concept of numbers.

I can't recall a viable science fiction story in which a less-intelligence species took control of one way brighter. That doesn't make a lot of sense. Big and strong are good, but smart is better; else elephants would rule the Earth.

Smartest thing I recall seen a xenomorph do was the Queen figuring out how to operate an elevator to chase Ripley and Newt.

And in A4, two drones kill a third to burn their way out of a cell. If they were so smart, why didn't one of them slash his wrist a long time ago and use the acid blood to good effect? You know, melt a lock, a hole in the glass so he can grab the white coat by the throat? Took 'em four movies to figure that one out? Ot-nay ooh-tay ight-bray.

Any extrapolation past the movies is all pie-in-the-sky, according to this logic. Mine, John's, yours. I like mine better, because it makes more sense to me than Shirley's or yours. Your mileage may vary.

Lot of folks seem to like the Yautja concept, leastways to judge from my fanmail and the numbers of books sold. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed