Ask Steve Perry

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 188,452 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: echobbase79 on Nov 03, 2007, 04:52:17 PM
Have you ever thought about writing scripts?
Why yes, yes he has.

If memory serves, don't you (Perry) have one or two floating around at the moment? Or I'm I thinking of someone else? Fairly sure it was you.

War Wager

War Wager

Quote from: Space Disc Jockey on Nov 03, 2007, 01:49:31 AM
6. What are your thoughts on the PredAlien (aka "Chet"), from the trailers and photos released so far?
I'd like to know your opinions on Chet too...

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Wow. I totally missed this discussion. Guess it's not too late, after all. :)

A belated welcome, Steve! I still have 'Earth Hive' and 'Nightmare Asylum' and think they were superb adaptations of the source material.

On the other hand, I eventually came to really detest all the 'Yautja' stuff, but as we would both agree; to each their own. :) I suppose it comes down more to what the fans eventually did with it: Turn the Predators from sadistic galactic hunters into what can best be described as Viking Samurai. Of course, the contemporary version of what Klingons and Ferengi are, happen to be far removed from their original concepts, so it does happen.

I would like to thank you, in a way, for bringing up something eartlier to light. I, too, was really struck by that 'the love of God' line Cameron put in the script. I had forgotten about it. You brought it back for me. :) It is a really powerful line and those sorts of motivations, never seen by the viewer and yet which, nevertheless, find their way into how characters react in stories, are precisely the type of thing I learnt to place in my own scripts, when I write them.

We seem to mostly agree on 'Aliens' having more entertainment value, for us, personally, than 'Alien' and I agree about the 'idiot plot' thing. Scott even admitted that, in at least one interview. It's particularly obvious at times such as when Ripley goes for her cat. However, my preference for the two films is a very fine line and I came to appreciate the original much more, as years went by.

I'd disagree with you on the Aliens' intelligence level, of course. They've shown a very high level of cunning and one of the things I like about 'Aliens' is that, although it has a superficial level, it also has a deeper one. Those who look at it, at first glance, can assume hundreds of the things are getting blown away, yet, later on, the motion tracker shows tons of them still very much active. It has that rewatchability factor so crucial to the making of a classic.

I'd like to ask you, if I may, what gave you the inspiration for your version of General Spears. You added things to him which were never in the graphic novel and rounded him out a lot more. The flashbacks to his early life, in particular, with his first sexual experience going some way to shaping his outlook on things, were an interesting way of bringing that sort of stuff out. Did you have in mind a certain historical character to help you with that sort of stuff or was it just a matter of looking at the comic and then throwing in some spontaneous ideas?

If you had the chance, would a future novel of yours bring back the horrific concept of transforming people into eggs, in order to obtain a Queen facehugger? I've often been compelled by that idea, as have many others and thought it a shame 'Alien 3' never used it.

If you were given a blank slate and told, "Ignore all the graphic novels, book adaptations of your own and other authors'. We want to go from scratch." Would you still have followed the idea of Predators using Aliens for hunts or would you have them meeting in a completely different way?

One of the original ideas for the Alien was that they have arisen into their own technological and highly advanced civilisation. That the eggs found were merely examples of them removed from their own society. As a writer, would this idea appeal to you, in terms of exploring it? Or would you prefer for the creatures to remain as removed from technology as possible?

Finally, if you were asked to, would you dare to write a deliberate parody involving these creatures or would you hate to see someone even attempt to do such a thing? :)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 04, 2007, 07:37:42 AM
If you were given a blank slate and told, "Ignore all the graphic novels, book adaptations of your own and other authors'. We want to go from scratch." Would you still have followed the idea of Predators using Aliens for hunts or would you have them meeting in a completely different way?

It's what DH Press do do. Tell them to ignore everything else. I only wish they'd have some continuity between their own novels. I always loved that sense of connection in Bantam's novels.

steveperry

steveperry

Yeah, I've written few spec scripts. None have made it onto the silver screen. One I did with Chris Warner got bought but a screw-up on the timing got it shelved; I'm working on a couple with Mike Richardson at Dark Horse that might eventually amount to something. We'll see.

Look of the new Predators, I spoke to earlier in the thread.

I used to belong to a book club and I was amazed at what people sometimes said they saw in books that I had read and didn't see there. Everybody has an axe to grind on some level, and they carry it with them, including me. It just happens, I'm not as invested in some things as others, and that my axe, when it comes to writing, has had more than a little use and I feel comfortable honing it to keep doing so.

When I said the alien drones were as smart as German Shepherds, that's what I meant. If you have ever been to a dog herding or agility competition, you'd see they are capable of all kinds of things that Rover lying over there on the couch doesn't demonstrate.

Wolves are even smarter, according to everything I know.

But dogs don't drive cars real well, or make informed life-choices, and save for the Queens, I never saw or heard of aliens doing anything a pack of wolves couldn't do. The yautja have FTL space ships that they run, which makes them as smart as humans -- or smarter -- and are way ahead of us technologically because they had them far enough back to be hunting humans who were armed with flintlocks.

Other than breeding more of themselves, I haven't seen evidence of any kind of Alien culture higher than that of wasps. Arguments about aliens being smarter than predators? Please. No evidence for it.

I've always believed the xenomorphs were war toys, biological weapons, and the breeders, whoever they were, made them just smart enough to do their job. Me, I'd have put a clock in them so after a certain number of reproduction cycles, they'd die off, Hayflick out, and leave the real estate empty.

Who created them? No idea. How'd the Predators get them for training hunts? Came across them and collected a few samples.  I could come up with several scenarios that would work for me.

When I pitched a new idea to DH for the Predator novel, they didn't put any limits on it, save that they don't want to get back into the yautja stuff. If I had to guess,  I'd say that came from Fox, who still has to approve all the novels.

Any time I was novelizing a graphic story, that was the spine. What got hung on it to make it more like a book and less like a comic was what I thought people would want to know, so since few of the characters had any background, I gave them some. Nature of the form. Book readers only word-pictures, and they want a little more depth. No particular models, just stuff I (or my daughter) made up.

I have a new Star Wars novel idea with Reaves we're pitching, either it will sell or it won't. And no plans to get back in the A, P, or AvP universe any time soon, but I haven't burned that bridge behind me. Never know what might happen.

Can't ignore what has gone before, what is lore and even canon in a shared-universe, so the idea of what I'd do starting from scratch isn't realistic -- we're well past scratch ...

echobbase79

echobbase79

Yeah, I've written few spec scripts. None have made it onto the silver screen. One I did with Chris Warner got bought but a screw-up on the timing got it shelved; I'm working on a couple with Mike Richardson at Dark Horse that might eventually amount to something. We'll see.

What were the properties? Dark Horse started their on movie production company I believe. They recently released a new movie called Driftwood. Are these scripts under this company?

steveperry

steveperry

What were the properties? Dark Horse started their on movie production company I believe. They recently released a new movie called Driftwood. Are these scripts under this company?

The one with Chris was based on his comic, Black Cross. That was a Touchstone deal but the lead actor and producer got crosswise -- actor was a sportscaster and had to get back to his day job, something the producer apparently spaced on when setting up the shoot schedule.

The others are original ideas, two horror, one a coming-of-age story with a ghost. The horror stories, one is a haunted house, the other about a psychotic killer -- latter is now a DH comic mini-series, "The Secret." If either of these make it to production, dunno who the company will be. DH Entertainment has deals with several, and will be doing their own low-budget films eventually. 

echobbase79

echobbase79

That's sportscaster didn't happen to be howie long was it. I know he did some acting for a little while.

Have you ever been interested in the Timecop series they did? They're remaking it I believe under their new production company.

steveperry

steveperry

Quote from: echobbase79 on Nov 04, 2007, 08:30:48 PM

That's sportscaster didn't happen to be howie long was it. I know he did some acting for a little while.

Have you ever been interested in the Timecop series they did? They're remaking it I believe under their new production company.

Yep, it was Howie. They somehow forgot he had to be back at work in the fall and scheduled the shoot then. He had another movie he couldn't get out of, so ours went belly up, but since he had a pay-or-play deal, he got his money anyhow. How it goes in La-La-Land.

My daughter did the novelization for the Timecop movie, and I helped her out a little on it. Didn't think much of the muscles from Brussell's acting talent, and the idea is real old -- Heinlein wrote a short story in the late 1950's "All you Zombies" which was way more clever in dealing with time-travel paradox.

Most of what you see on a movie screen when it comes to science fiction is old hat to people who read the stuff. Time it makes it to the movies, it's been done to death in books. The Matrix, which was supposed to be so fresh and all? Old, old idea. Better story is by H.G.  Wells  the book, "When the Sleeper Wakes," written in the 1890's.

Any movie where the hero plays video games to combat aliens? Scott Card's Ender series, which was among the last books to play with the idea, before the movies go it.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Could you list me off some of the must have stories in sci-fi? Some that must be READ to put it simply?

"All You Zombies" sounds cool. I've never really gotten into sci-fi except William Gibson and H.G. Wells.

Timecop was a silly action film. The only reason its worth anything is because of Ron Silver and I liked the idea. But it was basically Back to the Future part 4.

But I will say that Mike Richardson's script was good and that Peter Hyams gave the film a very polished look. But in the end it came off like another Van Damne vehicle!!!!  ::)

Love the beginning to the movie though.

"I want that gold now!"  ;)

steveperry

steveperry

Too much science fiction out there to narrow it down to a few stories. The really good ones, you need some background in the stuff to be able to appreciate them. Some of them were killers when they came out, but have been built upon so much they don't have the impact any more. "The Cold Equations" was considered so horrible when it first appeared that it made some people sick to even think about it.

So many different kinds, it's hard to narrow it down -- hard science, space opera, utopias, dystopia.

I have favorite writers, but most of them did a ton of stuff. Start with the ABC's and H -- Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, Heinlein. Find Poul Anderson, Fred Pohl. Urusula Le Guin. Robert Sheckley. Harlan Ellison, Roger Zelazny, Norman Spinrad, Bill Gibson, Daniel Keys Moran -- the list goes on and on.

Somebody has a list of the hundred greatest science fiction novels, I think it's on line. That would be a good place to start.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Thanks.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I've found some stuff has lost it's meaning. Starship Troopers for example. Seen the recent remake of The Invasion? It still carries that fear of communism and it just doesn't work anymore.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 04, 2007, 11:26:09 PM
I've found some stuff has lost it's meaning. Starship Troopers for example. Seen the recent remake of The Invasion? It still carries that fear of communism and it just doesn't work anymore.

A lot of other people have said that.  :-\ Some sci-fi ideas become dated I guess.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: steveperry on Nov 04, 2007, 05:51:49 PM
When I said the alien drones were as smart as German Shepherds, that's what I meant. If you have ever been to a dog herding or agility competition, you'd see they are capable of all kinds of things that Rover lying over there on the couch doesn't demonstrate.

Wolves are even smarter, according to everything I know.

But dogs don't drive cars real well, or make informed life-choices, and save for the Queens, I never saw or heard of aliens doing anything a pack of wolves couldn't do. The yautja have FTL space ships that they run, which makes them as smart as humans -- or smarter -- and are way ahead of us technologically because they had them far enough back to be hunting humans who were armed with flintlocks.

Other than breeding more of themselves, I haven't seen evidence of any kind of Alien culture higher than that of wasps. Arguments about aliens being smarter than predators? Please. No evidence for it.

Well, technically, we don't necessarily have any proof that Predators have a higher IQ than that of apes. :)

I've theorised in another part of the forum, that it might not be they who do the physical creating of their technology. They use it, sure, but how would they get a high enough definition of texture perception, using thermal vision, to even create vacuum tubes or the lightbulb, let alone primitive computer microchips? I don't even understand how they'd have anything like microscopes. Steve, help me out here - how did your Yautja evolve to do that kind of stuff? :) Did that sort of thing ever come into the equation?

They use technology, sure, but most of it is fairly standard point-and-click stuff (Leonardo DiVinci could be trained how to fly an F-22, but would never understand how it functioned). Their medical knowledge seems to suggest a fair degree of intelligence, but again, I'm fairly certain an ape could be trained to carry out similar field procedures as they do, with enough mental indoctrination.

There's also precedent for enslaving other races, if we take 'Alien Versus Predator' as any indication. Could they have taken over a more advanced civilisation and forced them to mass produce technology? It would certainly explain why it has stagnated for so long. Or perhaps they merely charter all their ships and equipment (together with crews?). That, in turn, might explain the radical difference in ship interior looks.

If they let other species make the technology or buy it in, it would certainly enable the Predators to devote themselves solely to the tradition of hunting.

QuoteI've always believed the xenomorphs were war toys, biological weapons, and the breeders, whoever they were, made them just smart enough to do their job. Me, I'd have put a clock in them so after a certain number of reproduction cycles, they'd die off, Hayflick out, and leave the real estate empty.

That would make sense and is an interesting idea. Although they seem rather viral and a virus, as we know, tends to mutate and deviate away from the original 'programming'.

Perhaps, if they were such things, that was the flaw in the design. :)

QuoteWhen I pitched a new idea to DH for the Predator novel, they didn't put any limits on it, save that they don't want to get back into the yautja stuff. If I had to guess,  I'd say that came from Fox, who still has to approve all the novels.

That's interesting... Not wanting to revisit it, that is.

Did you ever encounter some sort of agency for Fox, which were at least attempting to try and tie everything together, canon-wise?

Also, is there a franchise you'd love to write material for, but are not able to? Whether film or television.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 04, 2007, 11:26:09 PM

Oy... 'Starship Troopers'. I'm so glad someone advised me to see the film and then read the book. I'd have been mightily pissed if I did it the other way around.

It's a shame, because I really liked the original author's visual of these hulking great technological tarantula things in spaceships.

Then again, the film script started out as an original idea, but they discovered they incorporated so many things from the book, that they decided to buy the rights to that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed