Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 279,480 times)

motherfather

Germany is a big economy doing fairly well at the moment, so it will be interesting to see what sales it pulls in next weekend too.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 14, 2017, 09:26:18 PM
Quote from: Darkness on May 14, 2017, 06:41:58 PM
Kinda disappointed that the opening takings have dropped so significantly from Prometheus' in Western countries. There's been loads of advertising for it here - I've seen loads of billboards and on the sides of buses in the last two weeks.

Unfortunately the bus advertising didn't quite have the desired effect. Not quite sure why.  :-\

Feel bad for the misleads audience who've seen the bus ad waiting to see a movie titled LIAEN OVEN CANT ;:/

NickisSmart

Quote from: Ja on May 14, 2017, 09:11:15 PM
This movie deserve to bomb. I'm sorry for saying this - it is that bad.

I'm glad you're not in charge of anything, then.

PierreVW

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 14, 2017, 10:54:19 PM
Quote from: Ja on May 14, 2017, 09:11:15 PM
This movie deserve to bomb. I'm sorry for saying this - it is that bad.

I'm glad you're not in charge of anything, then.

Is just a stupid person.

He thinks if ALIEN: COVENANT bombs they made ALIEN Neil Blomkamp. It's actually THE OPOSSITE.

If ALIEN: COVENANT bombs, FOX cancels ANY ALIEN for the next 10 years.

windebieste

That's "42 million in adjusted dollars", by the way.

It's also healthy takings - for a movie that's only been out for 4 days.

-Windebieste.

NickisSmart

Quote from: windebieste on May 14, 2017, 11:19:28 PM

-Windebieste.

XD

Well, that's almost half the cost to make the film, right, at 111 million? I'm not sure how advertising factors into all of this. "That's minus payload, of course." Perhaps the advertisements for Covenant would be the "payload," in that allegory.

cucuchu

cucuchu

-Windebieste.

I think its pretty good numbers. 53 more markets this coming week, including the U.S. Overall positive reviews right now should give the movie some good momentum. A few of my friends who do not follow the franchise too closely have told me they are hearing good things, so there is some positivity in the air...surprising as that may be amidst some of the doom and gloom here.

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 15, 2017, 12:16:37 AM

-Windebieste.

XD

Well, that's almost half the cost to make the film, right, at 111 million? I'm not sure how advertising factors into all of this. "That's minus payload, of course." Perhaps the advertisements for Covenant would be the "payload," in that allegory.

Someone on here did a good breakdown on how studios do not get all the ticket profits, so its really not as cut and dry as matching production plus marketting costs to box office.

Robopadna

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 15, 2017, 12:16:37 AM

-Windebieste.

XD

No. This is overseas so the studio keeps about 16 million out of this. And their production plus distribution is around 200 million. So it's a start but a long ways off from coming close to breaking even.

Thai

Thai

Well considering it's 110 million budget.  They would need roughly 220 million to break even.  I think they would be happy with a Prometheus like worldwide haul, but looks like it's going to be a bit lower.  Still I think anything in the $320 to $350 million mark world wide would be considered a success.  Alien has never been a gigantic box office draw.  As long as the studio makes money on it I think they will continue to make Alien movies.  Unless they have a blowout box office success, I think they'll continue to keep the budget in that 110 million dollar range.

Game_Over_Man

$42m is actually a very strong figure considering there's another 54 markets awaiting.

I'm disappointed so many of you appear to be wishing this to fail because Ridley's not going down the route most of you (including me) want. I still want the film to succeed no matter what.

Although it's mostly bonkers and a lights years away from the first 2 films, I still enjoyed the movie for what it was (basically a homage to Hammer horror!) Please, let's get behind this and hopefully Ridley will take fan criticisms on board and make the next film a thrilling finale.

Richman678

I don't know is this good or bad?

PierreVW

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on May 15, 2017, 01:16:32 AM
$42m is actually a very strong figure considering there's another 54 markets awaiting.

I'm disappointed so many of you appear to be wishing this to fail because Ridley's not going down the route most of you (including me) want. I still want the film to succeed no matter what.

Although it's mostly bonkers and a lights years away from the first 2 films, I still enjoyed the movie for what it was (basically a homage to Hammer horror!) Please, let's get behind this and hopefully Ridley will take fan criticisms on board and make the next film a thrilling finale.

I agree.

It's kind of sad so many people here wants it to bomb. And it's somewhat stupid too.

If this film bombs, FOX CANCELS any ALIEN film for the next 10 years.

If you hate Ridley Scott, you are doing him a favor too. He has 5 better projects(THE CARTEL, BATTLE OF BRITAIN, ATMITW, etc) than these ALIEN films.

juxtapose

Quote from: Richman678 on May 15, 2017, 02:30:23 AM
I don't know is this good or bad?
. .it's fair. .i wonder if movies that are released at the end of a month has a better opening than those who don't?. .i must say tho that i have no clue when people get their salaries in other countries. .over here in south africa the majority gets it either the 25 or the last day of the month and i am also curious if studios even take that into consideration?

PierreVW

Quote from: Thai on May 15, 2017, 01:07:50 AM
Well considering it's 110 million budget.  They would need roughly 220 million to break even.  I think they would be happy with a Prometheus like worldwide haul, but looks like it's going to be a bit lower.  Still I think anything in the $320 to $350 million mark world wide would be considered a success.  Alien has never been a gigantic box office draw.  As long as the studio makes money on it I think they will continue to make Alien movies.  Unless they have a blowout box office success, I think they'll continue to keep the budget in that 110 million dollar range.

I agree.

I doubt ALIEN: COVENANT 2 is going to have a bigger budget than ALIEN: COVENANT.

Maybe a little bigger, but NOT a big difference.

TriniXeno

TriniXeno

A lot of you, are too passionate to the point of stupidity. If the movie fails  there is not going to be any new alien movie for a long time. So if you want more movies it has to do good! This garbage of I don't get that feel of the first alien movie in Prometheus and Covenant is nonsense if you want new stories or expansion to the Alien universe you got to stop having tunnel vision, the movies  are not only made for old Alien fans as it seems to be perceived by a lot of you.. but for new viewers  today.  In the 80's that was a totally different film  and cultural era, shit that time don't scare ppl today.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed