Dark Horse Comics Announces Alien vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 18, 2019, 08:28:03 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Alien vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood! (Read 115,089 times)

Kradan

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 04, 2019, 01:48:32 PM
Dead Orbit, Dust To Dust, Labyrinth, Salvation, Sacrifice, Survival, Wraith, Glass Corridor and the original AVP all rule.

Especially that one

Still Collating...

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 05, 2019, 09:25:14 PM
Marvel's about to do 40k.  I think they can handle Alien and Predator.
Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Oct 05, 2019, 11:07:53 PM
I'd be far less concerned with Predator over at Marvel since Predator lends itself fine to action and goofy crossovers and it's not like it wouldn't get used. They roll it into the mainline continuity and I promise you the crossovers will include an Avengers push and at least one hosting a symbiote. You'd see some crazy shit over at Marvel. Probably not JLA versus Predator nuts but if they got the license I don't doubt we'd have a good time.

Alien is the one we'd have to worry about.

Quote from: Still Collating... on Oct 05, 2019, 09:24:34 PM
I like their stuff, especially their older comics. It'd be sad if DH loses to Marvel. Does Marvel do any good horror stuff? God, I hope Neca's license stays safe for a long while...

Moon Knight has a few horror(ish) books but Immortal Hulk has been doing a lot right and it's one of their best titles and sellers right now. Absolute Carnage is great as well. In fact the Carnage book they put out a few years before this was a good one. Sure a lot of it is through the lenses of superheroes but Marvel does horror well enough that Predator would do alright.

Thanks for the info guys. Well then, I hope for the best.

happypred

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Oct 05, 2019, 11:07:53 PM
I'd be far less concerned with Predator over at Marvel since Predator lends itself fine to action and goofy crossovers and it's not like it wouldn't get used. They roll it into the mainline continuity and I promise you the crossovers will include an Avengers push and at least one hosting a symbiote. You'd see some crazy shit over at Marvel. Probably not JLA versus Predator nuts but if they got the license I don't doubt we'd have a good time.

Alien is the one we'd have to worry about. 

I only think of Predator as marginally goofier than Aliens, mainly because of the 80s macho men cast.

Neither of these franchises should be given the goofy treatment by Marvel.

I don't want Aliens comics about a piglet with a bomb strapped to its back or Aliens vs. Mondo or Vampirella (Dark Horse actually went the goofy route with Aliens on more than one occasion)...or stuff like Predator vs. Archie, which I find incredibly jarring and a waste of time.

The Old One

The Old One

I'd rather Alien stay at DH, but it doesn't appear likely.
Especially since Predator is the one rumoured for termination, not Alien- thus- Predator may stay with DH.

SiL

It's not rumoured for termination. The news report literally just says it's a property that is technically open to it if the authors so choose, not that they seem so inclined.

SuperiorIronman

Predator can hit termination as early as 2022 assuming the Thomas Brothers have begun working on a notice. They can't just take it, they do have to let all I.P holders know what's up before the termination date specified in the notice (this might get a bit complicated as it comes to merch like comics but I could easily be wrong). They have a very short window to serve that notice as well since according to the site I'm getting my information from, they need to have it two years before 2027.

I'm not 100% convinced they will but you never know. If we've only just now heard rumblings about this and it's just that Predator could be terminated I think we're fine unless something really disastrous happens.

Naginata

Apropos of nothing, but Absolute Carnage and Immortal Hulk both kick ASS.

Having said that, I'd prefer Alien and Predator stayed at DH - if only to prevent Disney getting any more of a monopoly than they already have. Most of the Predator EU - hell some of the movies - are entirely based on stuff that Dark Horse's creative teams did in the comics, so I think they'd earned a little more respect than they're being given. I know, I know - Late Capitalist Dystopian Hellscape and all that, but still...  :P

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 06, 2019, 12:58:29 PM
I'd rather Alien stay at DH, but it doesn't appear likely.
Especially since Predator is the one rumoured for termination, not Alien- thus- Predator may stay with DH.

If the rights-holder for Predator does shift in 2022, I remember reading with Terminator there was some sort of multi year grace period. It's not a stop everything you're doing and back away legal order. Planned projects can still be seen to fruition, as well as termed licensed deals. So we're looking at maybe 2025, if it happens at all, so I think it's a little premature to bring it up.  We'll see what happens in 2022. :)

Wysps

Quote from: Naginata on Oct 06, 2019, 03:08:45 PM
Apropos of nothing, but Absolute Carnage and Immortal Hulk both kick ASS.

Having said that, I'd prefer Alien and Predator stayed at DH - if only to prevent Disney getting any more of a monopoly than they already have. Most of the Predator EU - hell some of the movies - are entirely based on stuff that Dark Horse's creative teams did in the comics, so I think they'd earned a little more respect than they're being given. I know, I know - Late Capitalist Dystopian Hellscape and all that, but still...  :P

Agreed, on both counts.  Disney doesn't need any more titles.  Plus, even though DH has produced some weird stuff for Predator, they've also produced a lot of great stuff that I think has added to the EU.  I trust them for the most part with the title, and would rather see them stay.

Ultramorph

I would prefer DH keeps the license, too. But Disney can't be bargained with, can't be reasoned with, and won't stop until every IP belongs to them.

happypred

Frankly, I don't see much difference in quality between Marvel and DH these days

426Buddy

I want the license to stay with DH. Dark Horse Alien/Predator/AvP comics have been apart of my life since like 1993. I don't mind showing them a bit of brand loyalty.

Though it won't do them much good I suppose.

Kailem

The solicits and cover art for issue #2 are out:

Quote from: Dark HorseAliens vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood #2 (of 4)

Jeremy Barlow (W), Doug Wheatley (A), Rain Beredo (C), and Chun Lo (Cover)

On sale Jan 8

FC, 32 pages

$3.99

Miniseries

Spoiler
With nowhere left to run but into the Predators' ship, every turn leads Maria and Tyler deeper into danger—until they discover a captive xenomorph. Could the Alien be the weapon to tip the scales in their favor, or will they find themselves caught in a crossfire?
[close]

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10/24/dark-horse-comics-january-2020-solicits-new-stranger-things-umbrella-academy-and-well-soon-be-home-again/

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kailem on Oct 24, 2019, 09:02:04 PM
The solicits and cover art for issue #2 are out:

Quote from: Dark HorseAliens vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood #2 (of 4)

Jeremy Barlow (W), Doug Wheatley (A), Rain Beredo (C), and Chun Lo (Cover)

On sale Jan 8

FC, 32 pages

$3.99

Miniseries

Spoiler
With nowhere left to run but into the Predators' ship, every turn leads Maria and Tyler deeper into danger—until they discover a captive xenomorph. Could the Alien be the weapon to tip the scales in their favor, or will they find themselves caught in a crossfire?
[close]

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10/24/dark-horse-comics-january-2020-solicits-new-stranger-things-umbrella-academy-and-well-soon-be-home-again/

Aw that's a pretty sweet cover!  Nice find & thanks for sharing!

Did I miss the solicitation for issue #1 somewhere in this thread?

Kailem

No problem, and I'm not sure, now that you mention it. I just assumed it must have been posted already a few pages back since the one for #2 was out.

Maybe the initial announcement is also the solicit for the first issue?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed