Dark Horse Comics Announces Alien vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 18, 2019, 08:28:03 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Alien vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood! (Read 113,393 times)

happypred

I have had DotS since 2006. I will now try to read beyond the first three pages...

Wweyland

DotS was my first Alien/AvP comic back in 1998. Didn't really read it through but enjoyed some of the images.
Felt very weird though and it didn't kickstart my fandom (happened later with the AvP games).
Didn't help that the comic fell apart like many of the UK omnibuses do.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: happypred on Oct 02, 2019, 03:59:59 PM
I have had DotS since 2006. I will now try to read beyond the first three pages...

Hate to break it to you friend, but things get far more batshit from there. I'm not sure what was up with Claremont at the time, (he was constantly dodging the editors for seemingly every script) but the writing consistency in this story is fruity as a nut cake. It took me many readings and some pretty heavy duty analysis before I could clearly suss out specifically what's going on with the story, but some stories are like that. This one is crazy artsy like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (or like a mix between Spiderman Far from Home and Dark City with just a hint of Red Sonja), but a bit more unfocused, which could be similarly said of a lot of Ridley Scott's more symbolic works or a lot of Stanley Kubrick's style, which some readers have the patience for (they become the members of the cult) and which many do not (often the more rational ones. The ones who would never become fanatic readers of Sutter Cane.)

If you do decide to power through The Deadliest of the Species and have an intention to understand and maybe even appreciate the story, there's two things to keep in mind, One, there's a shit ton of "unreliable narrator" action going on, nowhere near as incoherent as Horror Show or ::shudder:: Survival, since things actually do get explained at the 11th hour, so don't necessarily believe what you see/read, and Two, while it's not stated incredibly clearly, (spoiler alerts seem absurd here, since this is more of a clarification than a reveal, but for the niche fans who appreciate a David Lynch-esque non-literal narrative, here you go!)
Spoiler
Ash Parnall is a genius who created a sophisticated learning AI during her time as an astronaut with NASA's early exploratory Pathfinder program, and that AI was stolen from her when she was betrayed and left for dead by a trans-humanistic black marketeer. From there, hilarity ensues.
[close]
If you're patient, brave, and willing to work a little for your consumption, go forth and conquer!

Also, tDotS is responsible for giving us the single most epic, Metal, full page image from Predator or AvP comics, ever. (your mileage may vary.)

...Legendary.

Rest in peace, Eduardo Barreto, you were the best and your work will shine on.

SM

SM

The first couple of issues are more or less coherent.  And has actual Aliens in too.

After that... you have my sympathies.

And Survival is great.  I don't find it incoherent at all.  It's just dreams within dreams fuelled by inadequacy.

426Buddy

I quite like Survival.

DoTS is my least favorite Alien or Predator comic.

SpaceKase

Wow. You found it great? You must be a fan of Cardassian Repetitive epics. But, Cheers to that, mate. It's good to embrace what inspires you. I'd be interested to know more of your thoughts on that one in particular, or rather those three.

SM

Horror Show took a number of reads to get my head around, but was alright enough.

Survival I did not rate when it first came out.  It was at a time when the comics had gone off the boil a bit, and I found it a bit meh.

Years later, reading it as a father with inadequacies and anxieties - it's like being repeatedly kicked in the chest.

happypred

QuoteSteve Watson reviewed Aliens: The Deadliest of Species: Predator for Arcane magazine, rating it a 9 out of 10 overall. Watson comments that "Barreto displays a thorough knowledge of the female anatomy in illustrating - very tastefully, I may add - a story which ultimately deals with maternal instinct and female intuition in a fascinating way. Written in a style which provides plenty of space for intrigue and surprise, this novel is a marvellous example of the form."

I think we've got it wrong all this time. Apparently, DoTS is a novel

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SpaceKase on Oct 03, 2019, 02:50:09 PM
Quote from: happypred on Oct 02, 2019, 03:59:59 PM

Hate to break it to you friend, but things get far more batshit from there. I'm not sure what was up with Claremont at the time, (he was constantly dodging the editors for seemingly every script) but the writing consistency in this story is fruity as a nut cake. It took me many readings and some pretty heavy duty analysis before I could clearly suss out specifically what's going on with the story, but some stories are like that. This one is crazy artsy like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (or like a mix between Spiderman Far from Home and Dark City with just a hint of Red Sonja), but a bit more unfocused, which could be similarly said of a lot of Ridley Scott's more symbolic works or a lot of Stanley Kubrick's style, which some readers have the patience for (they become the members of the cult) and which many do not (often the more rational ones. The ones who would never become fanatic readers of Sutter Cane.)

If you do decide to power through The Deadliest of the Species and have an intention to understand and maybe even appreciate the story, there's two things to keep in mind, One, there's a shit ton of "unreliable narrator" action going on, nowhere near as incoherent as Horror Show or ::shudder:: Survival, since things actually do get explained at the 11th hour, so don't necessarily believe what you see/read, and Two, while it's not stated incredibly clearly, (spoiler alerts seem absurd here, since this is more of a clarification than a reveal, but for the niche fans who appreciate a David Lynch-esque non-literal narrative, here you go!)
Spoiler
Ash Parnall is a genius who created a sophisticated learning AI during her time as an astronaut with NASA's early exploratory Pathfinder program, and that AI was stolen from her when she was betrayed and left for dead by a trans-humanistic black marketeer. From there, hilarity ensues.
[close]
If you're patient, brave, and willing to work a little for your consumption, go forth and conquer!

Also, tDotS is responsible for giving us the single most epic, Metal, full page image from Predator or AvP comics, ever. (your mileage may vary.)

...Legendary.

Rest in peace, Eduardo Barreto, you were the best and your work will shine on.

You honestly made me want to read this again!

The Old One

The Old One

Dead Orbit, Dust To Dust, Labyrinth, Salvation, Sacrifice, Survival, Wraith, Glass Corridor and the original AVP all rule.

SM

Quote from: happypred on Oct 04, 2019, 01:05:39 PM
QuoteSteve Watson reviewed Aliens: The Deadliest of Species: Predator for Arcane magazine, rating it a 9 out of 10 overall. Watson comments that "Barreto displays a thorough knowledge of the female anatomy in illustrating - very tastefully, I may add - a story which ultimately deals with maternal instinct and female intuition in a fascinating way. Written in a style which provides plenty of space for intrigue and surprise, this novel is a marvellous example of the form."

I think we've got it wrong all this time. Apparently, DoTS is a novel

So he didn't have a clue what it was about either.

Ultramorph

I'm still waiting for that Ash Parnall "Renegade" ongoing.  :laugh:

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Oct 04, 2019, 09:04:42 PM
So he didn't have a clue what it was about either.

How can you not know what it's about?  You are, after all, you.  :-\

The Old One

The Old One

Potentially the last AVP thing if Predator gets terminated?

happypred

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 05, 2019, 12:57:56 AM
Potentially the last AVP thing if Predator gets terminated?

Any chance the comic rights for aliens, predator, AvP might all move to Marvel in the not-distant future?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed