Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced!

Started by alienscollection.com, May 10, 2016, 08:21:28 PM

Author
Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced! (Read 108,251 times)

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on May 17, 2016, 10:00:22 PM
No hidden reason.  Just the source material.
The flimsiest of reasons, especially when the same source material shows it to be incorrect.

But hey, to each their own I guess. It's all fiction after all. :)

LordCassusSnow

In my opinion, arguing with Xenomrph on the scientific facts presented is basically pointless. The man knows his stuff. And i've certainly learned alot after today. Thank you sir! But these stories should really be looked at, not as THE definitive word but the perspectives of different people telling their own version of a story. Each story is a little different and its up to us to put each bit of information we receive together and make it make as much sense possible. Otherwise, explain to me why Calpamos is rust colored in Alien but blue in Prometheus? Fire and Stone states LV 223 orbits Calpamos sooooo? And how did Ripley n the gang survive the vacuum of space in Aliens??

SM

Which "rust colour" and "vacuum" are you referring to?

Xenomrph

Quote from: LordCassusSnow on May 18, 2016, 04:02:35 AM
But these stories should really be looked at, not as THE definitive word but the perspectives of different people telling their own version of a story. Each story is a little different and its up to us to put each bit of information we receive together and make it make as much sense possible.
I've taken this approach for years, I call it "fuzzy continuity". It's what allows things like both versions of 'Alien3' (or both versions of 'Alien') to coexist, despite having mutually exclusive scenes.

LordCassusSnow

Read it again. And xenomrph i'm right with you on that. There are many glaring errors in the films and books that are hard to ignore. Some of which clashes with existing material such as The WY Report vs ACM Tech Manual, and Alien The Illustrated story vs Alien Isolation, to name a couple. I for one would like this stuff polished over and redistributed with updates like James Cameron did for the special edition of Aliens. I definitely enjoy Aliens a little better now without that error in film that looks like a twister when the Jordan family discover the derelict. Or the Alien warrior with bungie cords attatched leaping after Ripley when she's rescuing Newt. It's also getting a bit laughable the tech used in Alien 1-3. Our technology has progressed quite a bit since the 70's and 80's. Maybe fox should have moved the time back and said humanity in the Alien/Predator universe had reached other planets well before 1970? The mention of cholera not being reported for 200 years in Alien 3 would also make sense in that regard.

Xenomrph

QuoteAlien The Illustrated story vs Alien Isolation
It's been years since I read through The Illustrated Story, could you elaborate on this?

LordCassusSnow

Certainly. In Alien The Illustrated stroy, Dallas is the one to switch off the derelict's warning signal but in Alien Isolation its one of the crew from the Marlow who does this. Also, when compared to Alien, the engineer cockpit is much different than the one in Alien Isolation.

Xenomrph

Quote from: LordCassusSnow on May 18, 2016, 03:44:53 PM
Certainly. In Alien The Illustrated stroy, Dallas is the one to switch off the derelict's warning signal but in Alien Isolation its one of the crew from the Marlow who does this. Also, when compared to Alien, the engineer cockpit is much different than the one in Alien Isolation.
To be fair it's also Dallas who shuts off the Derelict's beacon in the script and novelization, if I remember right. The 'Aliens' script treatment or novelization or something says that the beacon was damaged by seismic activity in the intervening years between 'Alien' and 'Aliens' as a way to explain why the Hadley's Hope never detected the beacon (I guess James Cameron forgot or wasn't aware that Dallas switched it off :P ). So if anything, Isolation was further retconning a retcon. :P

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 18, 2016, 04:04:35 PM
Quote from: LordCassusSnow on May 18, 2016, 03:44:53 PM
To be fair it's also Dallas who shuts off the Derelict's beacon in the script and novelization, if I remember right. The 'Aliens' script treatment or novelization or something says that the beacon was damaged by seismic activity in the intervening years between 'Alien' and 'Aliens' as a way to explain why the Hadley's Hope never detected the beacon (I guess James Cameron forgot or wasn't aware that Dallas switched it off :P ). So if anything, Isolation was further retconning a retcon. :P

To be really fair, the beacon's deactivation was never addressed openly in either of the films..

Xenomrph

Well sure, but we were talking about sources outside the movies contradicting each other.

StrangeShape

Guys, im fine with 1200 km since the alien universe is quite a science bender. Sound in space anyone? Breathable Fury?

The Alien Predator

Technically, there sort of is "sound" in space, there's just nothing in the vacuum for vibrations to bounce off of and into your ears.  :P

But I've seen some sources say there's sound in space. You can even check out recordings of noises on youtube.

However, I don't know if we'd actually hear an explosion in space.

As for breathable Fury, I don't see how that's an issue in a world with atmospheric processors.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: StrangeShape on May 18, 2016, 05:16:08 PM
Guys, im fine with 1200 km since the alien universe is quite a science bender. Sound in space anyone? Breathable Fury?
But why accept it when it's so easily fixed (and was fixed like 20 years ago)? It's not like the 1200km thing actually serves a plot purpose or is used for narrative effect in any way, it's an honest-to-god mistake made by a scriptwriter without a scientific background (hell, the original 'Alien' script draft had the planet at 120km :D ).

By sound in space I take it you mean the Nostromo exploding? That's used for dramatic effect (and the movie came out two years after Star Wars). Faster-than-light travel and artificial gravity are also nonsense concepts, but they're likewise used for storytelling purposes.
The impossibly small size of LV-426, on the other hand, isn't.

It begs the question, why accept the number just because a character speaks it, especially when that number is contradicted by on-screen evidence and basic common sense, and is so easily fixed?

Also what did you mean by "breathable fury"?

But I've seen some sources say there's sound in space. You can even check out recordings of noises on youtube.

However, I don't know if we'd actually hear an explosion in space.
There's "sound" in the form of radio wave transmissions, since radio waves are just another part of the non-visible light spectrum. If the explosion has any output in the radio frequency range, you could conceivably "hear" it with a receiver.
But hearing sound in the conventional sense of actual molecules vibrating? No, we wouldn't hear that.

Shit, if you really wanted an explanation for the Nostromo's explosion sound, you could handwave it as literally being the Narcissus' radio receiver picking up the radio frequency waves caused by the blast. :P

The Alien Predator

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Xenomrph.  ;D

I always rationalized "sounds" in space of the Alien movies to be ship radios picking up the sounds as it does scientifically make sense to me.

I'm curious about blast waves. Would there be a blast wave after a ship explodes? I heard that if you detonate a nuke in space, there's no blast wave due to a lack of atmosphere and air, so if nukes were involved in a space battle, it'd either be a direct hit or you'd just be unlucky and be caught in the explosion the moment it happens or something.

But in Alien, when the Nostromo explodes you see the Narcissus shook by the blast wave. Similar thing happened in AvP2010 when the Marlowe gets blown up by the Predators, the blast wave smacks your drop ship and eventually something slams into Rookie's head and knocks him out.

Maybe it could be due to some tachyon drive rupture or other technobabble reasons why the blast waves are so violent in the Alien universe when it comes to explosions in space.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: StrangeShape on May 18, 2016, 05:16:08 PM

Not to mention being able to carry on with a good-sized snake in your chest.  :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed