Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 207,387 times)

Kradan

Kradan

Amen to everything you said brother

Quote from: Ivan The Insect on Apr 03, 2022, 07:47:53 PM
more often than not people act more cruelly and unforgiving than any god ever would.

My dad taught me the same, I always liked that statement

Realised faith and science can not only coexist but be a healthy balance for a person if they're wise enough not to mix them when they obviously serve different functions and needs.

Exactly

As for my official designation... Considering there's more denominations in christianity nowadays than there are catalogued beetle species I'd stick to the good old "I'm a christian".

Same

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Born into a protestant family (dating as far back as the very introduction of protestantism here) in a predominantly orthodox christian nation with an atheist dad.

Grew up in church, was taught by mom to be open minded and trust what I feel is right as well as never to judge myself or others because more often than not people act more cruelly and unforgiving than any god ever would.

Learned not to mention science or my own views on life and what lies beyond because people don't like to question themselves nor let others do the same.

Realised faith and science can not only coexist but be a healthy balance for a person if they're wise enough not to mix them when they obviously serve different functions and needs.

Like to say religion is to faith what politics are to sociality. One is more natural and points inwards while the other is more artificially constructed and is projected outwards. Faith is and should always be a personal matter.

As for my official designation... Considering there's more denominations in christianity nowadays than there are catalogued beetle species I'd stick to the good old "I'm a christian".

Well said, faith and science arn't enemies. They do indeed serve different purposes. To quote Brad S. Gregory, "Science can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God, it measures the seen world what can be examined with its instruments. The Spiritual deals with the unseen world and has its measures (means to perceive it)." (The Unintended Reformation: How A Religious Revolution Secularized Society, Yale Press).

Then again the God Particle did seem to bridge Science and Faith, a particle that was in two places, on two coasts, and yet was the same particle: helping make the omnipresence of God visible, if but for a moment.

Indeed there is Religion which Rodney Stark calls "The Church of Power," and faith which is the "Church of Piety." (God's Battalions: The Case For The Crusades). Jesus Christ himself spoke against the religious of his day (Matthew, Chapter 23) and called them vipers, sons of the devil, lawless, and etc. Christ was championing faith and a relationship via reconciliation with God through Himself not pioneering politics.

You eloquently point out the schisms (denominations), which are jarring; after all Jesus Christ wanted all Christians to be one, as He is One with God the Father (John, Chapter 17). I am Christian. I believe Jesus is Lord God and that following Him is more akin to the adventures of being a Jedi Apprentice (Disciple), an explorer like Elizabeth Shaw ("I'm still searching"), and Warrior in the Spirit World/Other Side like the Yautja/Predator.

I actually believe the Bible gets sanitized too much at the pulpit. The Engineers in Prometheus actually tie nicely to The Anakim or Nephilim in Genesis 6:4-12.
The Xenomorph is a great image of demon in us all, its primary weapon a tongue with teeth fits The Scripture, "life and death are in the tongue." (Proverbs 18:21).
God's arrival in Ezekiel 1 would thrill Stargate and Sci-Fi fans.
The Lightsaber of Star Wars and The Force is seen in Genesis 3 with the Flamming sword that levitates and floats.
David plays the devil and quoted Paradise Lost. The Engineers wanting to wipe out humans with the black goo is actually close to what the Four Angels of the Euphrates and The Four Horsemen of Apocalypse do in The Book of Revelation, Holy Bible.

My point is Scripture gets sanitized into a Puritan and Amish presentation, when actually it seems to be the basis intentionally or unintentionally for most great science fiction and fantasy stories; as J. R. R. Tolkien said, "we are telling the same story over and over whither we know it or not,"

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Kradan

Kradan

Any Christians here ? Or just people of (any) faith/religion in general  ?

I was raised by Christian parents and there was never a time when I full-on denied God's existence. But there was a long period when I didn't go to church, mostly because I didn't want to spend like half of Sunday on that. After the war started I began to become more religious. As sone of you know, a little more than a year ago I had to leave my hometown and move to Western Ukraine. Here, I started to attend church regularly again, I met new people and got quite involved in church's life. I felt pretty good about that

Now I'm preparing for my baptism at the beginning of August. However, these last few weeks I felt some cracks appearing in my faith. Mostly from reading Bible, funnily enough. Because God that is described in Bible, especially in Old Testament, is pretty scary one. You know, ordering Abraham to sacrifice his son (He stopped Abe at the last moment but still). Or killing all the firstborn in Egypt. Or commanding Hebrews to mercilessly eradicate people inhabiting The Promised Land. Kinda contradicts the notion of "all-loving" God

I just felt the need to express my thoughts and doubts somewhere. Have any of you experienced something similar?

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Even though I'm an agnostic pagan right now, my mother baptized me as a Catholic 😅👉👈🙈

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 27, 2023, 02:57:03 PMI just felt the need to express my thoughts and doubts somewhere. Have any of you experienced something similar?

That is the seed of skepticism. If it grows further it will only depend on you.😅nd yes, I'm sure many here have experienced that (me included). :)

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 27, 2023, 02:57:03 PMAny Christians here ? Or just people of (any) faith/religion in general  ?

100% heretic/skeptic/atheist

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I really dig critical thinking anyway haha ;D 👉👈

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I keep telling Kradan not to ask questions! >:(

Kradan

Kradan

Laugh it up, fuzzball

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 27, 2023, 02:57:03 PMAny Christians here ? Or just people of (any) faith/religion in general  ?

I was raised by Christian parents and there was never a time when I full-on denied God's existence. But there was a long period when I didn't go to church, mostly because I didn't want to spend like half of Sunday on that. After the war started I began to become more religious. As sone of you know, a little more than a year ago I had to leave my hometown and move to Western Ukraine. Here, I started to attend church regularly again, I met new people and got quite involved in church's life. I felt pretty good about that

Now I'm preparing for my baptism at the beginning of August. However, these last few weeks I felt some cracks appearing in my faith. Mostly from reading Bible, funnily enough. Because God that is described in Bible, especially in Old Testament, is pretty scary one. You know, ordering Abraham to sacrifice his son (He stopped Abe at the last moment but still). Or killing all the firstborn in Egypt. Or commanding Hebrews to mercilessly eradicate people inhabiting The Promised Land. Kinda contradicts the notion of "all-loving" God

I just felt the need to express my thoughts and doubts somewhere. Have any of you experienced something similar?

Consider that I have a pentagram tattoo before deciding how much credence you want to give my answer, but -

The text in the bible is multiple iterations of even older stories refined over a long time, most of it being a mythologised version of the history of the levant, babylon etc. The god described in the old testament is closer to those ancient war gods and the conquests of their cults that many of the tales are based around. It's really as simple as that.

However, that isn't to say there isn't good stuff in the book (more the new testament, which having its basis in more recent times is more appropriate for modern life than the fire and sword stuff in the old testament), and you should 100% do what brings you comfort, hope and joy in life regardless of what heretics like me say. It comes down to what you feel and believe.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Did you make a sacrifice for Winter Solstice?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I consumed a sacrament of kentucky bourbon.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed