PROMETHEUS 2 titled revealed by Ridley Scott: ALIEN: PARADISE LOST

Started by MrSpaceJockey, Sep 24, 2015, 04:24:48 PM

Author
PROMETHEUS 2 titled revealed by Ridley Scott: ALIEN: PARADISE LOST (Read 55,452 times)

Ephemer Nine

Hmmm...I have mixed feelings. 'Paradise Lost' is a great title, but I'm not really sure how I feel about the 'Alien'. It seems conturbed when placed in the series' continuity...I understand it from a marketing point, but it just doesn't sound right.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenoscream on Sep 24, 2015, 08:29:43 PMAlso saw that it's been reported as March 2016 release?

If filming is starting in Feb 2016, that's pretty much impossible.

Quote from: Ephemer Nine on Sep 24, 2015, 08:31:16 PMHmmm...I have mixed feelings. 'Paradise Lost' is a great title, but I'm not really sure how I feel about the 'Alien'. It seems conturbed when placed in the series' continuity...I understand it from a marketing point, but it just doesn't sound right.

Agreed, calling it simply Paradise Lost would be a thousand times better.

predxeno

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 24, 2015, 08:32:50 PM
Quote from: Ephemer Nine on Sep 24, 2015, 08:31:16 PMHmmm...I have mixed feelings. 'Paradise Lost' is a great title, but I'm not really sure how I feel about the 'Alien'. It seems conturbed when placed in the series' continuity...I understand it from a marketing point, but it just doesn't sound right.

Agreed, calling it simply Paradise Lost would be a thousand times better.

^This, the only thing adding "Alien" to the title will do is piss Alien fans off when they find out there's nothing "Alien" at all in the film.  To be blunt, Prometheus should never have been a spin-off/prequel to Alien; it could have been a nice film set in its own world but the moment Alien is added to the mix, it became a convoluted mess.  I guess Riddles couldn't help adding a sales marketing gimmick to 2x the audience for his film.

XENOMORPHOSIS

I'm guessing the 2016 supposed release date was announced ages ago mid 2014 or something before Ridley was caught up in the production of The Martian.

Quote from: Xenoscream on Sep 24, 2015, 08:29:43 PM
It's hard to know if this is a studio cash in decision... they know Prometheus got a lukewarm reception, perhaps they think sticking Alien in the title will be good for ticket sales...

After how they screwed the jockey origins (incomprehensible alien to bald dude) I don't think they could do more damage, so if this is a change in direction perhaps it is a good thing...

I guess we won't know until some plot details surface. Also saw that it's been reported as March 2016 release?

ash9426

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 24, 2015, 06:06:02 PMI really get the feeling this film's gonna be just as much of a mess as the first one.

My feelings exactly.

Alien³

The word Alien has more than one meaning. ;)

RakaiThwei

Does anyone get this "Eeeeeeh..." feeling from reading this all other than just myself. More and more Prometheus should have been it's own thing, I  keep thinking.

predxeno

^That's what I've been saying all along.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Alien³ on Sep 24, 2015, 08:58:46 PMThe word Alien has more than one meaning. ;)

Sure. But it's pretty obvious how it's being utilised here.

predxeno

I wonder if people will be all for a Predator movie with no Predator, or an AVP movie with no Alien or Predator. :D  Though for the latter option, some fans may actually claim that would be better. :-\

whiterabbit

Odds are Fox rammed the "alien" in the title. But come on guys this is a movie set in the alien universe and ridley's concept of the alien being an engineer bioweapon and the prometheus (now alien) series is the explanation of why man creates these horrible weapons. Dude's it's an alien movie -series. We're getting to see the build up of what happens when gods run amok with power.

windebieste

So glad to see this name change.  This is good News.  We all know that 'Prometheus' was part of the 'ALIEN' series - denying it was always pointless.  This action cements it into place inarguably and titles mean a lot.  The amount of freight they carry behind them determines all kinds of expectations.

Besides, 'Prometheus 2'..?  Really..?  How corny was it going to get?  Not withstanding Shaw and David's continuing exploration of the themes established in the first movie, how is Weyland Industries responding to the events set out in the first movie?  ...by sending out the ship, Prometheus 2, to investigate?  Covered in so much corn, I tell you and completely lacking in any merit in terms of story narrative.

As far as Blomkamp's movie goes.  The title is not even known so it's still subject to every possible change you can care to nominate as far as I am concerned.   I suspect once we know the title, we'll know exactly what the film will be about.   

For all we know, Blomkamp's movie will be one of the speculated 'Prometheus' sequels. 

Either way, 2 fresh entries in the series is a great thing.  I'm hoping Scott's control over these will now put the licence back on its feet to become a decent quality series once again.   

Soooo looking forward to this.

-Windebieste.

Vrastal

crazy idea..waiting for more information before tearing it apart

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 24, 2015, 09:31:29 PM
I wonder if people will be all for a Predator movie with no Predator, or an AVP movie with no Alien or Predator. :D  Though for the latter option, some fans may actually claim that would be better. :-\

Kind of like how Halloween III was a Halloween film but didn't have Michael Myers? Okay.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 24, 2015, 09:39:35 PM
So glad to see this name change.  This is good News.  We all know that 'Prometheus' was part of the 'ALIEN' series - denying it was always pointless.  This action cements it into place inarguably and titles mean a lot.  The amount of freight they carry behind them determines all kinds of expectations.

The thing is, if they were going to do this then they should have done it with the first film; the fact that they're doing it to the second film which is confirmed to have even fewer, if any at all, connections to Alien is really ironic and indicative of a sales marketing gimmick to increase ticket sales.  I see nothing wrong with just naming the sequel "Paradise Lost", it would have been a nice and succinct title.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed