When does Predators take place?

Started by lightsyder, May 29, 2020, 03:39:35 PM

Author
When does Predators take place? (Read 7,652 times)

SM

SM

QuoteThe filming started September 28 and finished November 1st 2009, and I think the scope was released in March 2010.
The production surely had access to visuals of the scope... And you know, digital is the future

And they've discontinued it apparently.  ;D

I found a review of the scope dating back to 2005, so I don't know if there were different models?

lightsyder

lightsyder

I was watching Predators: Moments of Extraction on YouTube and Cuchillo's story says he was 12 in 1954 meaning he was born in 1942 and 68 in 2010 when Predators was released.  Danny Trejo was born in 1944.  Based on this I think moving Predators past 2018, or even past 2010, doesn't really work based on Danny's age and appearance in the movie itself.  Thoughts?

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

You can't judge something like age by appearance, for one. Health, beauty products, genetics, they all play a part there. Danny is holding up pretty good these days, too.

Agent Aztlan

Quote from: SM on Jun 09, 2020, 02:40:40 AM
I found a review of the scope dating back to 2005, so I don't know if there were different models?
I think I found your review: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2005/feb/27/digital-rifle-sight-isnt-picture-perfect
Elcan showed the first prototype during a 2005 convention, but not released until summer 2005... But it was a series 1, not the one in Predators  ;)

Quote from: lightsyder on Jun 10, 2020, 08:26:34 PM
I was watching Predators: Moments of Extraction on YouTube and Cuchillo's story says he was 12 in 1954 meaning he was born in 1942 and 68 in 2010 when Predators was released.  Danny Trejo was born in 1944.  Based on this I think moving Predators past 2018, or even past 2010, doesn't really work based on Danny's age and appearance in the movie itself.  Thoughts?
Glad that you talk about it! This motion comic can have good infos.

Knowing the Predators have superior technology than humans and that Sir Peter Weyland created hypersleep pods in 2030, Predators must have it before... So why not kidnap interesting preys and wake them up later for a hunt party?

If we look at the Isabelle's story (in the motion comic), we can see she has her rifle and scope since her training. She looks like 15-16 in her training, and Alice Braga (the actress) was 26 during Predators, sooo Predators must happens in the 2020s minimum.

the motion comic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQbXLV7by7Q

Again, in the comic adaptation of PREDATORS, there is a prologue where Isabelle is fighting the Lord's Resistance Army in Guatemala. Except, until now, the LRA are only in Africa, not Central America... so in the 2020s, LRA will have certainly terrorists in Central America ^^

overthere

overthere

You guys do realize that the timeline wasn't thought out in advance by the moviemakers and all the details you find are just accidental and have no real value?

Like the moon thing, well, we can say that in the movie universe, full moon happened on halloween 2018, just like aliens came to earth and Thomas Jane doesnt exist in that universe. It doesnt mean anything.

There is no real continuity.

SM

SM

Yeah, so what?

SiL

SiL

This is a fan forum.

This is how we do.

overthere

overthere

In that case its fine, I thought for a moment you were implying literal intention

lightsyder

lightsyder

Nah, we are just looking for elements that can be used even if unintentional which most are.  It's all part of the fun and research!

Agent Aztlan,
Isabelle's age does complicate things as well.  Cryo sleep is a solid explanation.  Any good info come from the comics prequels and sequel?  I haven't tracked down copies of those yet...

Agent Aztlan

The timeline wasn't thought in advance, but each new movie (and tie-in products) work around it and develop it (a concrete example can be all the OWLF recordings and Dutch tapes in Predator: Hunting Grounds).
And creative development in 20th Century (Fox) has already some future checkpoints in their timeline, thanks to the Alien franchise (for example, the big Weyland Industries timeline).

@lightsyder: The movie adaptation gives a prologue on Earth to Isabelle and then we follow her thoughts during all the adaptation. The 2 prequels are centered around Royce and Noland. The sequel is about 2 weeks after the movie, Royce and Isabelle always try to find a way to leave and they fight a new Predator.

lightsyder

lightsyder

Quote from: Agent Aztlan on Jun 11, 2020, 01:21:40 PM
The timeline wasn't thought in advance, but each new movie (and tie-in products) work around it and develop it (a concrete example can be all the OWLF recordings and Dutch tapes in Predator: Hunting Grounds).
And creative development in 20th Century (Fox) has already some future checkpoints in their timeline, thanks to the Alien franchise (for example, the big Weyland Industries timeline).

@lightsyder: The movie adaptation gives a prologue on Earth to Isabelle and then we follow her thoughts during all the adaptation. The 2 prequels are centered around Royce and Noland. The sequel is about 2 weeks after the movie, Royce and Isabelle always try to find a way to leave and they fight a new Predator.

Thanks Agent!  Sounds interesting.  I'll have to continue the hunt...

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Agent Aztlan on Jun 07, 2020, 10:08:33 AM
The company also creates the first rifle capable of tracking multiple targets from over 500km away, as well as targets' health, physique and wether they can be lock down.

I'm 100% sure I remember this from the Weyland timeline and it isn't a typo (at least on your part), and I'm 100% sure that I need to put my foot down on this nonsense too.

SM

SM

QuoteAnd creative development in 20th Century (Fox) has already some future checkpoints in their timeline, thanks to the Alien franchise (for example, the big Weyland Industries timeline).

Predator and AvP weren't beholden to the Alien timeline and I don't imagine any future Predator or AvP film is beholden to the Alien timeline (particularly one that hasn't been depicted in a film such as the Weyland Industries timeline).

lightsyder

lightsyder

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 11, 2020, 08:36:21 PM
Quote from: Agent Aztlan on Jun 07, 2020, 10:08:33 AM
The company also creates the first rifle capable of tracking multiple targets from over 500km away, as well as targets' health, physique and wether they can be lock down.

I'm 100% sure I remember this from the Weyland timeline and it isn't a typo (at least on your part), and I'm 100% sure that I need to put my foot down on this nonsense too.

Put your foot down?

Agent Aztlan

It's not the firing distance, but the tracking: you mark targets in your scope and you can follow these targets in a 500km zone (certainly with satellite).  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed