Are you hoping for a Predator 5 movie

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Apr 12, 2020, 09:45:08 AM

Author
Are you hoping for a Predator 5 movie (Read 4,847 times)

Aliens1986fanboy

I personally think they should stop making them now the last one sucked

bendinglight

That's fair - the latest effort, or lack thereof, by Shane Black was a real disappointment. I really wanted to like that movie but it was so bad - especially with the re-shoots that plagued the last part of the movie. I am not a real fan of his movies and especially of his writing - there is too much comedy injected into The Predator, imo.

I would welcome another Predator film but with a decent writer and director this time. There is a post on here about the 'dream director' and there are a lot of insightful comments as well as great suggestions for such a director. It will be interesting to see how much creative control Disney will allow if such a project is green-lit. I believe I remember reading somewhere (I don't remember where) that Disney plans on keeping the Predator franchise alive in the future but really didn't commit to a timeline.

SuperiorIronman

In all honesty it may very well transition into videogames seeing as the creature is very well suited for that. If Hunting Grounds is a success I don't doubt that this is what the future of the franchise is going to be especially seeing as videogames allow for longer engagement.

To be honest I'd actually like mainline entries to be dropped for a bit and do something with the weird crossovers or adaptations of Darkhorse material. I don't know if WB would be up for it but an adaptation of BVP would be a lot of fun and likewise an animated feature about the backstories of the characters in Hunters would work well enough.

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, I'd still like more Predator movies. They keep pussy footing around Bad Blood as a concept, but not really getting into it. I'd either like them to actually do it - without any of this genetic modification rubbish - or move off and do something different. Go period. Go underwater. Just stop with these half-arsed attempts at Bad Blood (he says, fully admitting that he genuinely loves Predators).

Predator is versatile. Do something different with it.

bendinglight

bendinglight

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Apr 12, 2020, 06:45:36 PM
In all honesty it may very well transition into videogames seeing as the creature is very well suited for that. If Hunting Grounds is a success I don't doubt that this is what the future of the franchise is going to be especially seeing as videogames allow for longer engagement.

To be honest I'd actually like mainline entries to be dropped for a bit and do something with the weird crossovers or adaptations of Darkhorse material. I don't know if WB would be up for it but an adaptation of BVP would be a lot of fun and likewise an animated feature about the backstories of the characters in Hunters would work well enough.

I friggin loved the art and story of the first BvP comic - it captured the darkness that is Gotham City as well as providing some nice insight into how Predator chooses his worthy prey - from the champion Boxer (not totally sure why he chose to fight him so soon after his title bought but oh well) to Batman himself.

But if I had to choose...it would be a new Predator movie just with the creature and not any crossovers. I feel that Avengers has kind of ruined the crossover bit for all movie/comic franchises for quite a while (at least until the Hollywood elite lose their memory and decide to go for more cash grabs).

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 13, 2020, 08:42:12 AM
Yeah, I'd still like more Predator movies. They keep pussy footing around Bad Blood as a concept, but not really getting into it. I'd either like them to actually do it - without any of this genetic modification rubbish - or move off and do something different. Go period. Go underwater. Just stop with these half-arsed attempts at Bad Blood (he says, fully admitting that he genuinely loves Predators).

Agreed! As has been mentioned many a time, there is plenty of runway to use for Predator by expanding the universe into something that truly aligns with the Predator mythology. Having something like '1718' being adapter or maybe a writer that isn't trash being able to write Predator in a truly deadly environment such as a battlefield like WW2 or Vietnam or Korea (Forgotten War could hide some hidden encounters with Predators)...the possibilities are somewhat endless.

Bad Blood was the first Predator comic I read and I find myself re-reading it more than any other Predator series. I completely agree with your summary of how Fox has been playing with that arch for quite some time (I feel like Wolf was a distant presentation of that in AvP:R - a Predator had to come in to clean up the mess and he was a BAMF).

Wysps

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 13, 2020, 08:42:12 AM

Pussy footing  :D

But I agree.  They need to commit or leave it alone, and spare us the lackadaisical approach. 

SuperiorIronman

I don't know about you guys but a wild-west Predator movie could be fun.

Gr33n M4n

I like the bad-blood idea but I don't know about the super-predator thing. Why make them a different race? But anyway, I do look forward to another Predator movie but I don't expect anything groundbreaking.

Huggs

Huggs

I'm hoping for another one someday.

But unless Disney does something completely unexpected, I don't see a new movie getting made before at least 2028.

I'd prefer to see them get back to the old formula. One regular Predator wreaking havoc. No special creatures, suburbia, or excessive humor.

426Buddy

I would like to see a take on two predators working together wreaking havoc. Have their weapons, armor, and fighting styles complement each other. Might be better to save that for an AvP film someday, I think it could be done in a really cool way.

PsyKore

I don't really want another unless they keep it serious and grounded. I mean, yeah the first film is campy at the start, but once the Predator enters the scene the movie becomes quite serious and tense. And it's that aspect that I think is missing from the later films. It's a bit like how the Terminator franchise is missing the horror aspect that the first had.

Apart from that, the usual good writing, story etc would be great. It's kinda tiresome to be disappointed with this franchise at this point. I just wish they'd do it properly, ffs.

Wysps

Quote from: PsyKore on Apr 15, 2020, 11:49:21 PM
I don't really want another unless they keep it serious and grounded. I mean, yeah the first film is campy at the start, but once the Predator enters the scene the movie becomes quite serious and tense. And it's that aspect that I think is missing from the later films. It's a bit like how the Terminator franchise is missing the horror aspect that the first had.

Apart from that, the usual good writing, story etc would be great. It's kinda tiresome to be disappointed with this franchise at this point. I just wish they'd do it properly, ffs.

I agree; they can definitely take it in a more sustained, serious direction without it losing its self.  Predator 2 wasn't all serious through and through per se, but it definitely seemed to turn a corner after that installment (imo).

irn

irn

It suffers from the same problem as the Terminator series in that there's not really that much to work with as a film franchise. Both series were a great original film with a really good sequel that expands the concept about as far as it can go. After that it just starts to get silly if you explore the background stories too much.

Good for games and comics if you're into that sort of things, but not films.

Master

Quote from: irn on Apr 21, 2020, 02:25:18 PM
It suffers from the same problem as the Terminator series in that there's not really that much to work with as a film franchise. Both series were a great original film with a really good sequel that expands the concept about as far as it can go. After that it just starts to get silly if you explore the background stories too much.

On the contrary, I think it can be done good. The way I think about it is that it should become more of anthology series. More of genere film with Predator in it, instead of focusing on predator itself. Look at two first films. 1 is 80' action flick with Predator and  2 is 90' Buddy-Cop film with Predator. That should be the focus.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: irn on Apr 21, 2020, 02:25:18 PM

So the beast is cooked?  ;)

As with Predator, Alien, or any of these horror sci-fi franchises, there is mystique that no longer exists, which always remains an obstacle to overcome in varied degrees. Its hard to keep the "villian" fresh too. Fortunately, I at least personally feel Predators have an advantage because they are an intelligent race of hunters that can be freshened up with varied skin colors, facial differences, different jewelry, armor, helmets and new creative ooh-aah weapons and kills. Plus Terminator is in more of a stale box story-wise and hampered by the reliance of aging stars.

Once you read the excellent Predator Hunters series and its back to basics approach, you realize the wonderful potential Predator still has cinematically, and the underlying fault doesn't exist in the concept or property but the 'talents they hire... I'm looking at you Black & Dekker.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed