Ridley Scott on the hard road to Alien

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 24, 2019, 02:58:03 PM

Author
Ridley Scott on the hard road to Alien (Read 23,559 times)

Local Trouble

He said without sarcasm.

Alien_Scott

Alien_Scott

God bless you Mr. Scott.

hs

hs

even covenant was disappointment, I still want to see how prequel saga ends. Hope disney give him one last chance.

COCOs For Alien

COCOs For Alien

I love the prequels. I hope he can finishes David's story arc :P .

locusta

Quote from: Alien_Scott on May 27, 2019, 07:37:15 AM
God bless you Mr. Scott.

OMG!! Are the Disney bots already at work here? :D :D :D

dinosauriac

dinosauriac

Ridley needs to step back honestly. It must be burning him up that Blade Runner got away from him, but turning the focus of Alien to be about replicants is going too far. Let someone else take the reigns, be a producer instead.

It's weird that with the big studio trend of hiring fresh new talent for big blockbusters, Alien is currently the one stuck in a rut by not doing so. Especially considering its history of taking chances on up and coming directors. The recent short films done for Alien Day had a wealth of creativity and good dramatic action, something that's been pretty hit or miss with the last couple of movies. The franchise needs new blood, not to be beholden to one guy who's surrounded by yes men that dare not challenge "the visionary."

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: dinosauriac on May 27, 2019, 01:12:56 PM
Ridley needs to step back honestly. It must be burning him up that Blade Runner got away from him, but turning the focus of Alien to be about replicants is going too far. Let someone else take the reigns, be a producer instead.

It certainly seems that way doesn't it.

Local Trouble

Quote from: locusta on May 27, 2019, 11:37:12 AM
God bless you Mr. Scott.

Have you created a model of the Covenant version yet?

locusta

locusta

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 27, 2019, 02:51:14 PM
Quote from: locusta on May 27, 2019, 11:37:12 AM
God bless you Mr. Scott.

Have you created a model of the Covenant version yet?

LOL  :D:D:D

Enough answer?

;)

@Local Trouble, seriously mate, I do despise that design and the movie with a passion and think the whole prequel idea was a burning trash bin from the start. The creature designs are an insult to GigerĀ“s genius and to all biomechanics lovers.

The Old One

The Old One

I'm a biomechanics lover, I do not feel insulted by either the "Protomorph" or the excellent Neomorph design.

Everything else is just designed poorly.

Still Collating...

An Alien movie should involve the Alien, it's not rocket science... And you can do that with adding new ideas. The beast is not cooked. As mentioned, if you want to do new things, do it in anew movie. Don't use the Alien as a jumping of point for pet projects.

I like David and some of the new ideas of the prequels. But if they stray away any further from the beast, I'm worried where they'd go. AI on its own doesn't sound too intriguing to be done here. I mean, there are so many good shows and movies nowadays that have explored this.
If they throw away the Giger/Lovercraftian/horror aspects of the Alien universe, things will go bad if you don't even have the main creature featured anymore.

Saying that, I'd be completely fine with a show about the marines, WY, or normal working life in the universe because it has style and a rich atmosphere. But that's different, that's not so much throwing away the old as much as it is just shining a light on other aspects of the universe.
But throwing away the old to introduce something new is not really fun.

You want to do new stuff? Do it in a new movie.
Want to play in the Alien sandbox? Then play in the ALIEN sandbox.

A lot of us like these movies because it has a horrific, unique and interesting creature. Thanks to that cooked beast, we have fallen in love with the whole cinematic universe and got introduced to a whole range of things.

I'm really worried that Ridley really doesn't know what to do with the Alien at all anymore. I like David, but wasn't his thing the fact that he made an Alien? So how can you just focus on AI without focusing on his ambition anymore? Or are we headed for another 180?

Shows and movies about AI are all over the place. Doing that is not original anymore at all. And knowing how loose his scripts are, his AI movie won't be the best one. Alien is no more spent that our human fear of AI and the unknown. It doesn't matter how old these ideas are.

Ingwar

Nostromo

Quote from: Still Collating... on May 27, 2019, 04:10:22 PM
An Alien movie should involve the Alien, it's not rocket science... And you can do that with adding new ideas. The beast is not cooked. As mentioned, if you want to do new things, do it in anew movie. Don't use the Alien as a jumping of point for pet projects.

I like David and some of the new ideas of the prequels. But if they stray away any further from the beast, I'm worried where they'd go. AI on its own doesn't sound too intriguing to be done here. I mean, there are so many good shows and movies nowadays that have explored this.
If they throw away the Giger/Lovercraftian/horror aspects of the Alien universe, things will go bad if you don't even have the main creature featured anymore.

Saying that, I'd be completely fine with a show about the marines, WY, or normal working life in the universe because it has style and a rich atmosphere. But that's different, that's not so much throwing away the old as much as it is just shining a light on other aspects of the universe.
But throwing away the old to introduce something new is not really fun.

You want to do new stuff? Do it in a new movie.
Want to play in the Alien sandbox? Then play in the ALIEN sandbox.

A lot of us like these movies because it has a horrific, unique and interesting creature. Thanks to that cooked beast, we have fallen in love with the whole cinematic universe and got introduced to a whole range of things.

I'm really worried that Ridley really doesn't know what to do with the Alien at all anymore. I like David, but wasn't his thing the fact that he made an Alien? So how can you just focus on AI without focusing on his ambition anymore? Or are we headed for another 180?

Shows and movies about AI are all over the place. Doing that is not original anymore at all. And knowing how loose his scripts are, his AI movie won't be the best one. Alien is no more spent that our human fear of AI and the unknown. It doesn't matter how old these ideas are.

Well said!

Quote from: The Old One on May 27, 2019, 04:03:56 PM
I'm a biomechanics lover, I do not feel insulted by either the "Protomorph" or the excellent Neomorph design.

Everything else is just designed poorly.

Same, agree 100%.

CainsSon

CainsSon

I think it makes sense that the series turn-away from the basic formula for now. If nothing else, intentional or not, Scott's prequels proved that new creature developments were more interesting than the same old. I don't necessarily love the direction the story took, but for the most part, everyone seems to be in agreement about the inclusion of the alien in Covenant - it's the weakest part of the film. As happy as I was to see it, a certain reverence for it is MIA. Even with something great like Alien: Isolation, the creature is the least interesting part. The world building and the atmosphere was the real draw. Even the "working Joe's" prove to me that they need to add some developments to make it interesting again. The digital short depicted the aliens hibernating in space; that was a nice touch! This is also, unfortunately, not something I think the prequels achieved. They almost do but keep side-stepping committing to any interesting developments. It almost feels like they are doing so because they couldn't think of anything to add to it or weren't confident enough with their new developments.

Some interesting developments I noticed, which got sidetracked -

1. Egg morphing
2. Deacon on LV223
3. The Octopus-like squeezing of the xeno-body in the Engineers script
4. David experimenting on Shaw
5. Ultramorph
6. Excretion of cocoon-substance from the alien's groin
7. The bizarre religious practices of the Engineers and cryptic use of the black goo.
8. Neomorphs
9. Cave under LV426

I am also very concerned about Ridley's handling of the creatures. Its as if he forgot that the Alien should remain in the shadows and that hurt the last film most, IMO.

I don't think the alien itself needs to be marginalized, but I think the story needs to go somewhere else that captures the spirit while also not sticking to the formula. I can't disagree with Ridley that it has gotten tired.

The one thing I'll definitely give Scott for the prequels is that the series is definitely WIDE OPEN with possibilities.... for better or worse and in some ways both.

With the recent success of the Halloween and now Terminator franchises, both bringing back their iconic female leads, I'm personally torn between wanting Disney to involve Cameron and Weaver in a proper Aliens-like direction, and/or letting Scott further evolve it. I just hope they get someone in there to make sure the scripts can maintain that tense, suspenseful, entertainment factor. Both of Scott's prequels managed to build a great deal of suspense up until their key scenes - the medpod and backburster sequences - but then they both fall flat. I'm not sure how that slipped by in the writing/editing processes.

Nostromo

Quote from: CainsSon on May 27, 2019, 06:02:24 PM

The world building and the atmosphere was the real draw.

Some interesting developments I noticed, which got sidetracked -

1. Egg morphing
2. Deacon on LV223
3. The Octopus-like squeezing of the xeno-body in the Engineers script
4. David experimenting on Shaw
5. Ultramorph
6. Excretion of cocoon-substance from the alien's groin
7. The bizarre religious practices of the Engineers and cryptic use of the black goo.
8. Neomorphs
9. Cave under LV426

I am also very concerned about Ridley's handling of the creatures. Its as if he forgot that the Alien should remain in the shadows and that hurt the last film most, IMO.

The one thing I'll definitely give Scott for the prequels is that the series is definitely WIDE OPEN with possibilities.... for better or worse and in some ways both.

Thumbs Up x 100  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed