Meet Walter - 10th March - New Viral

Started by Anthony, Mar 08, 2017, 07:03:03 PM

Author
Meet Walter - 10th March - New Viral (Read 69,804 times)

Enoch

Enoch

I posted this few days ago :)

BishopShouldGo

If it remains in the background, fine. But it's too overt for me. Lindelof already called Prometheus "Frankenstein 101". I found the Lawrence of Arabia obsession much more fascinating.

Enoch

Enoch

Lawrence reference is cool, but original Frankenstein novel is great too...
Not just a monster story but great philosophical work. Alien movies have a great potential
just because they can mix all this horror-sf-mystery stories into one huge epic...

Ingwar

Quote from: Enoch on Mar 08, 2017, 07:41:18 PM

I posted this few days ago :)

They clearly pay tribute to Frankenstein here.

Enoch

Enoch

Spoiler
Maybe there is a scene where David opens Walters scull to transfer his
memory into his AMD powered system :laugh: Or maybe Walter is the evil guy... I more and more think
that there is something far more sinister behind his character.
[close]

Maybe this will show how deep and profound Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley's work is:

QuoteFrankenstein points the Faustian moral to Walton: "Learn from me, if not by my precepts, at least by my example, how dangerous is the acquirement of knowledge, and how much happier that man is who believes his native town to be the world, than he who aspires to become greater than his nature will allow" (p. 53). But this moral— particularly appropriate to the realistic novel— is argued very ambivalently. Even the monster repeats the argument (as he must, being Frankenstein's alter ego): "Increase of knowledge only discovered to me more clearly what a wretched outcast I was" (p. 131). As his knowledge grows, he cries out: "Oh, that I had for ever remained in my native wood, nor known nor felt beyond the sensation of hunger, thirst, and heat!" (p. 120). Yet Mary Shelley knows, as the monster learned, that there is no returning to innocence; the rhetoric implies that the innocence is a lie,  and that the disaster that follows its loss is as inevitable as the loss itself. "Of what a strange nature is knowledge! It clings to the mind, when it has once seized on it, like a lichen on the rock. I wished sometimes to shake off all thought and feeling; but I learned that there was but one means to overcome the sensation of pain, and that was death" (p. 120). The monster knows that only silence ends the disparity between word and life. Frankenstein, however, cannot give up the quest or insist unambiguously on the moral of his story. His last speech is a masterpiece of doubt: "Farewell, Walton!" he says. "Seek happiness in tranquillity, and avoid ambition, even if it be only the apparently innocent one of distinguishing yourself in science and discoveries. Yet why do I say this? I have myself been blasted in these hopes, yet another may succeed" (pp. 217-18). Death is the only resolution, and yet it resolves nothing since knowledge and innocence are continuing aspects of human experience. The tension worked out in Frankenstein between ambition and natural harmony, as between creator and creature, mind and reality, is not resolved.

I see how she influenced Joseph Conrad...

NickisSmart

Yeah, Frankenstein is a very deep, erudite work. It is a Gothic horror story, too, told in a framed narrative, etc, etc. But it is a work of much thought, ruminating on the nature of man.

windebieste

The 'Modern Prometheus' says it all.

-Windebieste.

Marcus9000

Quote from: windebieste on Mar 08, 2017, 10:30:59 PM
The 'Modern Prometheus' says it all.

-Windebieste.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scorpio

Walter is a bit lame, I hope David kills him.

Enoch

Enoch

Quote from: Scorpio on Mar 08, 2017, 11:39:31 PM
Walter is a bit lame, I hope David kills him.

Early presumption, dont you think...
Do you have the problem with his accent as some other member, because if you do, thats
still not enough... :)

Scorpio

He's just very bland.  And I hate fake accents most of the time.

Xenomorphine

The accent sounds a little too fake, but the new one is a lot more plausible as an AI portrayal. I'm glad cues were taken from the Bishop portrayal.

Alexander Spider

Alexander Spider

New video leaked through twitter official page!

https://twitter.com/AlienAnthology/status/839676964050993152

Corporal Hicks

Thanks for sharing. How'd you see that? I didn't get any notifications.

Alexander Spider

Alexander Spider

I have e-mail notification by twitter!
And it send me this tweet! 5 times!

Don't know what kind of mistake is this)
Looks like I'm only person who got this)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed