Space News & Views

Started by Nostromo, Aug 27, 2016, 03:31:59 PM

Author
Space News & Views (Read 67,534 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

SpaceX's monstrous Gigerian Raptor engines looks like something from an Alien film set:

Kradan

Kradan

Sure does

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

And if it's Giger style, even better 💜👉👈💜

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I thought this thread would be abuzz with excitement over the launch of the James Webb telescope today. :-\

Immortan Jonesy

Local Trouble

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm super-excited about it! It's been a long time coming. I still remember hearing about this for the first time and being blown away. I would have watched the launch but was kinda busy. I really can't wait to see the first data coming down. Just hope it doesn't have the same issues Hubble had - it'll be harder to go service Webb.  :P

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

James Webb Space Telescope uncovers massive sunshield in next step of risky deployment

QuoteThe James Webb Space Telescope has unwrapped its sunshield, crossing another important item off of its lengthy and risky deployment to-do list.

After successfully extending its deployable tower assembly (DTA), a structure that connects Webb's two halves, on Thursday (Dec. 29), the telescope had the room to begin the preliminary steps to unfurl its gigantic sunshield. Today (Dec. 30), mission teams completed two major next steps: deploying the James Webb Space Telescope's aft momentum flap and releasing the sunshield's protective membrane cover.

Webb still must unfurl the sunshield, which it will do in the next day or so by extending two booms. The mission team will then spend a few days getting the five-layer structure to the proper tension, wrapping up such work no earlier than Sunday (Jan. 2). 

1st orbital test flight of SpaceX's Starship Mars rocket pushed to March at the earliest

QuoteWe'll have to wait a bit longer for the orbital debut of SpaceX's Starship Mars rocket.

SpaceX had been aiming to launch Starship on its first orbital test flight in January or February, provided that the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) wrapped up a programmatic environmental assessment (PEA) of the company's South Texas launch site by Dec. 31 as planned.

But that timeline no longer applies. The FAA announced on Tuesday (Dec. 28) that it has pushed the release of the final PEA back to Feb. 28, citing "the high volume of comments submitted on the draft PEA" and "discussions and consultation efforts with consulting parties."

Local Trouble

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Glad to hear it! Just hope the mirror isn't f**ked.  :P

On This Day in Space! Jan. 5, 2005: Discovery of Eris ignites Pluto-planet debate

QuoteOn Jan. 5, 2005, astronomers at NASA discovered Eris, the second-largest dwarf planet in the solar system.

White House directs NASA to extend International Space Station operations through 2030]=https://www.space.com/white-house-international-space-station-2030-extension]White House directs NASA to extend International Space Station operations through 2030

QuoteThe White House has given NASA a New Year's Eve "go" to continue operations on board the International Space Station through 2030, granting the orbital outpost a six-year life extension.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Excellent news.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed