Alien Durability preference?

Started by (Bad Blood), Mar 03, 2023, 10:18:01 AM

Author
Alien Durability preference? (Read 4,271 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Mar 03, 2023, 10:40:10 PMI know. Jim knows what makes a weapon look cool but that's about it. "Light-armour piercing" might make slightly more sense than "light armour-piercing" though, I suppose.
It's the former, I goofed on my hyphenation.

S.E.B.

S.E.B.

Quote from: (Bad Blood) on Mar 03, 2023, 11:04:35 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 03, 2023, 07:18:05 PMSomewhere in-between, I think Fireteam Elite's a bit much but I'm more inclined to that than them being paper mache in Aliens.
I agree, I think somewhere in-between makes more sense, I feel as though using multiple clips like Fireteam Elite is a bit much lol, but also more durable than pistol fire hurting them.

The reason they have to use multiple clips in ALIENS: FIRETEAM ELITE is because the player is ridiculously OP, with abilities, weapons, attachments and cards that turn the marines into demi-gods. There's no friendly fire and there are no real critical hit or one-hit-kill attacks that the Aliens can execute against the player(s). Also, the marines run faster than the Aliens as well as they are better at dodging and outmaneuver most, if not all, of the Aliens presented in the game. The marines can even push off Aliens with ease when grabbed or punced at. The way to balance this in the game was by to make certain Alien types more tanky, hence why I think it's kind of silly to bring up A:FTE when talking about the durability of Aliens. If the Aliens in A:FTE were faster, smarter, better at dodging bullets, and causing more damage no matter the type of Alien, the devs would've had to make Aliens less tanky in order to balance the game.

oduodu

oduodu

when ripley asks goreman:

Lieutenant what does those pulse rifles fire?

he replies something to the tune:

standard caseless 10mm armour piercing and explosive rounds. why?

what is the exact phrase that he use?

normally in practice armour piercing rounds are mixed with explosive ones. while one pierces the armour the other ones uses the holes made to pass through to the other side and explode inside.

is the rounds used in aliens the same or is every round both explosive and armour piercing meaning that they explode after punching a hole ?

judge death

Quote from: oduodu on Mar 04, 2023, 02:58:02 AMis the rounds used in aliens the same or is every round both explosive and armour piercing meaning that they explode after punching a hole ?
This.

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: judge death on Mar 04, 2023, 09:55:08 AM
Quote from: oduodu on Mar 04, 2023, 02:58:02 AMis the rounds used in aliens the same or is every round both explosive and armour piercing meaning that they explode after punching a hole ?
This.

ah ty

PAS Spinelli

AFTE is a game, it would be hard for that game to work without those enemies being tanky since it's a RPG shooter and not a immersive cinematic experience.

Despite what comics and movies like AVPR would suggest, modern and old school firearms wouldn't do much against a Xenomorph unless it was concentrated fire from more than one person. Alien Isolation kinda handles it well, you can kinda injure it with non military grade weapons, but that's where it stops, now it's just angrier and with some minor injuries, good luck!
 As for Aliens, well I feel like everyone already did a good job explaining why those weapons work, with the pistol using coventional ammo more akin to present time, we can see it bounce off the Xenomorph's carapace only leaving small dents and sparks when hit from further than some meters away, instead of the blood spatter that comes with the pulse rifles and smartguns.

judge death

Its good to see others also noticed that the pistol shots just bounched off it, where its very well armoured. :)

Wweyland

Wweyland

It works a bit like tank armor, sloped areas just bounce off the projectiles.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Wweyland on Mar 04, 2023, 11:54:21 PMIt works a bit like tank armor, sloped areas just bounce off the projectiles.

Can they brew up though?

judge death

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 05, 2023, 12:23:18 AM
Quote from: Wweyland on Mar 04, 2023, 11:54:21 PMIt works a bit like tank armor, sloped areas just bounce off the projectiles.

Can they brew up though?
When exposed to extreme damage and extreme temperature changes, like the runner, yes I would argue. :P Or as AVP extinction: ammo with explosive uran ammo can make them brew up.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Wweyland on Mar 03, 2023, 04:03:17 PMNo strong opinion, but I don't like the bullet-sponge heavy-types from Alien: Fireteam.
Even AvP: 1999 handled it better, where you could shoot bits of even the strongest Aliens off (tail, hands, legs), and they bled heavily.

I really do love that aspect of AvP Classic and AvP 2010. There was something so satisfying about seeing them still coming after you, even with missing limbs!

Quote from: SiL on Mar 03, 2023, 07:24:32 PMSmall arms fire bounces off them in Aliens.

The Alien was never meant to be bullet proof, that's why it bleeds acid. Aliens gets it right, the games are, we'll, games.

And this. You see the ricochet in the film from the small arms. The whole reason the Alien has acid blood was to prevent the Nostromo crew from just shooting the Alien after all, so it makes sense.

I do prefer seeing them not just being gunned down though. I do get a sense of satisfaction from seeing the tankier Aliens in the games, but that's games. In the films - and comics/books tbf - I'd rather see their intelligence and stealth demonstrated more so they can close that gap and not be shot at with explosive tipped rounds.

judge death

The acid seem to be mostly plot based, in alien just a few drops of acid from the facehugger was enough to melt 2 decks, aliens we see acid have some affect but in other scenes not, like the battle in operations at the end, several xenos were killed but were the floor acid damaged? or the air ventilations? nope.
Alien resurrection: killed several aliens and they didnt melt a single deck, the one that johnner killed and its head exploded: no acid hit christie or the other guy, not acid damage to the stairs, same for several other xenos that they kill, barely any acid damage.

In certain times when the writer/director want the acid is a threat but in action scenes its ignored.

SiL

SiL

Budget based in Aliens case.

We see the environment smoke every time an Alien is shot in Aliens, they just didn't have the budget to destroy the set each time.

Every time a character is close to an Alien and shoots it, acid damage occurs - Drake, Hudson, Vasquez

judge death

Still no excuse for later movies that dont even bother with such details, the acid is barely a issue in some scenes.

SiL

SiL

In Resurrection the only Alien that should have caused acid damage was the one Ripley gets. The rest are killed underwater, except the one on the ladder, and there's no reason it should've melted everything.

AvPR is awful for it though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed