Why does Dallas panic in the airshaft?

Started by Chestburstedlol, Jan 22, 2023, 11:37:08 PM

Author
Why does Dallas panic in the airshaft? (Read 5,281 times)

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Chestburstedlol on Jan 22, 2023, 11:37:08 PMRewatched Alien recently and thought of something. When Dallas goes into the airduct, the plan is to drive the alien into the airlock with the flamethrower. So when the Alien turns and heads toward him, why is it such a shock? Wasn't he planning on having a direct confrontation with it?

He didn't know what direction it was coming from when it came after him...but he didn't know the exact location when he started his journey?

Was it a bad plan that he didn't think through...and the gravity of the situation was setting in with him? Was Lambert's panicking making him panic?

Probably something to do with the giant killer monster he was trapped in the vent system with.

ralfy

I'm not sure, but the place Dallas explores may have been stacked horizontal shafts connected with vertical ones. In which case, if Dallas had entered a shaft at one end, then one side would be his back (where he entered) and the other end that he's facing his front. If the same can be made in Lambert's monitor (e.g., the left side of the screen's the part of the shaft where Dallas entered), then she would have told Dallas that the creature is either behind or in front of him. If it's behind, then it's not on the same level, as Dallas would have encountered it right away, unless the vertical shaft in which he finds himself in the scene is a second or subsequent one (which means the creature would still be in another shaft or entered his using one of the vertical ones now behind him).

In either case, Dallas could only face the side where the creature is coming from and wait for it to reach him.

Of course, the situation gets worse if there are also parallel and perpendicular horizontal shafts.

razeak

Or Ash didn't do anything but craft a functional motion tracker, knowing full well the alien was going to do what it does. If he was being deceitful here, was maybe it was to hasten an encounter by giving them a motion tracker to lead them directly to it.

oduodu

ripley:"ash he's
  been protecting it
all along "

Wweyland

I panicked more in the Alien: Isolation ducts

ralfy

I think the problem's not the tracker but the monitor: no direction and level indicator.

SiL

SiL

The tracker doesn't work well and the screen provides no real information.

It was also made in like half an hour.

LastSonofKrypton

For me, it's the failure of the tracker to accurately monitor the alien's position and movement, coupled with the fact that it slowly dawns on Dallas that he is in fact the one being hunted. His panic rises as he realises that the situation is completely out of his control

ralfy

The monitor doesn't give the direction of what it's tracking and even the level. Depending on what direction Dallas is facing, the creature could be coming towards him from his left or from his right, or his back or front. It could also be in the same shaft or the one above or below.

They would have realized that before he decided to enter the shaft:

"So, if I enter the shaft, you'll tell me if it's heading towards me, right? Wait a minute... will you be able to tell me if it's in front of or behind me?"

"OK, when you enter the shaft, the direction you're heading is your front."

"Got it. And what if it's in the shaft above me?"

"Uhh...I don't think this is gonna work."

:o

Elmazalman

Quote from: ralfy on Feb 26, 2023, 04:56:28 AMThe monitor doesn't give the direction of what it's tracking and even the level. Depending on what direction Dallas is facing, the creature could be coming towards him from his left or from his right, or his back or front. It could also be in the same shaft or the one above or below.

They would have realized that before he decided to enter the shaft:

"So, if I enter the shaft, you'll tell me if it's heading towards me, right? Wait a minute... will you be able to tell me if it's in front of or behind me?"

"OK, when you enter the shaft, the direction you're heading is your front."

"Got it. And what if it's in the shaft above me?"

"Uhh...I don't think this is gonna work."

:o

A hopeless plan doomed to failure from an ineffectual Captain, aided by an increasingly terrified (minus one) crew of truckers. The odds were stacked in the creature's favour.  :laugh: 

Ash's suggestion about using fire as a possible deterrent (that helped convinced the Captain) was possibly BS - much later, the shuttle's engines would (seemingly) have little effect on cooking its resilient hide.  :laugh:

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Elmazalman on Feb 26, 2023, 06:39:16 AMAsh's suggestion about using fire as a possible deterrent (that helped convinced the Captain) was possibly BS - much later, the shuttle's engines would (seemingly) have little effect on cooking its resilient hide.  :laugh:

Isolation told me otherwise

Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 18, 2023, 10:09:30 AMSame reason I panic when see a spider on my wall but then the f**ker disappears! :'(

f**king spiders

Ingwar

To answer your question Why does Dallas panic in the airshaft? answer first Who wouldn't panic? :)

Elmazalman

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 26, 2023, 01:33:45 PMTo answer your question Why does Dallas panic in the airshaft? answer first Who wouldn't panic? :)

Ash?

Ingwar

Of course he wouldn't as he was an android.

Elmazalman

I know.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed