Sigourney Weaver new thought's on Alien 5

Started by The Ultimate Predator, Jun 02, 2014, 06:59:37 PM

Author
Sigourney Weaver new thought's on Alien 5 (Read 45,729 times)

Lemonade

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jun 03, 2014, 08:31:26 PM
I would be more than down for a proper Alien 5 with Sigourney Weaver. A mission of extermination to the xenomorph home world would be amazing if they did it properly. If Arnold and Harrison Ford can still get roles in action flicks, I see no reason to give Sigourney Weaver any grief for her age.

Funny enough, Cameron was going to write roles for both of those guys in his Alien 5. Harrison was also courted for Captain Dallas.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 03, 2014, 10:32:54 PMHarrison was also courted for Captain Dallas.

First I've heard of that. Source?

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

#62
Quote from: Darkness on Jun 02, 2014, 08:22:40 PM
Bearing in mind she's 64 years old now, time is ticking.

She looked fine in 'Vamps' and 'Cabin In The Woods' and a script could always imply something quirky with Ripley 8's metabolism.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 03, 2014, 03:10:08 AM
Screw canon, I want the alien movie we deserve and not the one that we need. They can wipe alien³ and A|R from the face of the script for all I care. Like neither of them ever happened. :)

We'll call it a reboot.

Years ago, this could have potentially been done, but these days, there's a huge gamble at play - especially if you're trying to retcon, not just one film, but two. Because what if the end result is something far worse than what you disliked about them?

Just look at the recent 'Friday The 13th' reboot. It's so terrible they're already attempting yet another.

In fact, let's look at 'Alien Versus Predator'. When 'Requiem' came around, a lot of the fandom was already praising the two new directors, saying it "couldn't possibly be any worse". All that pre-emptive hype seems a bit misplaced now, doesn't it?

Ridley Scott? A lot of people seemed to have greeted 'Prometheus' with a reaction of WTF.

James Cameron? Not sure... In times passed, I'd have been intrigued, but around the mark of 'True Lies', his stuff seemed to be much more superficial than before - especially evident in 'Titanic'. If you had been told the director of both 'Terminator' films and 'Aliens' would have wound up making something as sentimental and Spielbergian as that, you'd have probably disbelieved them.

Quote from: Russ on Jun 03, 2014, 08:47:24 AM
I remember in the Alien special edition blu ray features, Dan O'Bannon said something like "I've already nailed this. It's done - move on. This was scary 30 years ago - its not scary any more because we already nailed it." Something like that. And he's probably right - the shock value has gone - or at least, we think it has.

I'd love to see RakaThewi's idea played out with a younger crew / passing of the torch from old Ripley to new-kick-ass... but the essential thing is (as we all know) making the alien scary and shocking again (whilst keeping within the confines of established lore).

Everyone remembers what the third and fourth film lacked, but neither of them really portrayed the Alien right, IMO. It hasn't been effectively and believably presented on the big screen since 1986. Even those who disliked the alleged changes in Cameron's version will probably admit that he at least made them seem realistic and threatening, compared to what was in the third and fourth efforts.

It's no good declaring, like Scott did, pre-'Prometheus', that just because something has featured on a Disney ride, therefore it's impossible to breathe fresh life into. It very much is possible.

Vampires have been in more than a few horridly made film productions, too, but when they're done right, they can still be effective horror icons, too ('Thirty Days Of Night' could even be modified into an 'Alien' story template). Same for Terminators being rendered effective. Or even sharks, for that matter... I was highly impressed with 'The Reef', for example, which has some amazingly effective tension and uses the environment of open water astonishingly well.

Can Aliens be presented well, again? Absolutely. In fact, no matter how the game turns out, the adverts for the upcoming 'Isolation' game manage to do precisely that. The fact we haven't had widely-accepted success on the big screen in recent years, shouldn't be taken as any indication as to what can be possible.

SiL

QuoteJust look at the recent 'Friday The 13th' reboot. It's so terrible they're already attempting yet another.
The Friday the 13th reboot was actually pretty well-received and grossed a shitload of money for a slasher flick. Just because they're going for another reboot doesn't mean the last one sucked.

whiterabbit

They should just make a stand alone movie since there isn't anyway to please everybody. However I do understand how important canon is to everyone and just putting Ellen Ripley into the movie isn't going to roll over well. Still I would love to see another action flick such as aliens, it doesn't need to have deep meaning or philosophical non-sense. I just want to be entertained and maybe even scared a little.

Cvalda

Quote from: Procurator on Jun 03, 2014, 03:14:30 PM
They've butchered and destroyed this franchise beyond saving. Michel Biehn has been screwed over and lied to so many times that he probably hates this with a passion and will never even think of coming back.
Good thing his character has been dead since 1992.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 04, 2014, 12:18:45 AM
Quote from: Procurator on Jun 03, 2014, 03:14:30 PM
They've butchered and destroyed this franchise beyond saving. Michel Biehn has been screwed over and lied to so many times that he probably hates this with a passion and will never even think of coming back.

Good thing his character has been dead since 1992.

That was Turk.

SiL

Then Scrubs really was all in JD's head!

Lemonade

Lemonade

#68
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jun 03, 2014, 11:09:48 PM
Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 03, 2014, 10:32:54 PMHarrison was also courted for Captain Dallas.

First I've heard of that. Source?

https://www.google.com/#q=harrison+ford+captain+dallas+alien&tbm=bks

"had offered him the role of Dallas, the ill - fated captain of the space tanker Nostromo in his second major feature, Alien."

He didn't want to play another space pilot.


Xenomorphine I agree with most of what you said and am going to respond in a bit.

Quote from: SiL on Jun 04, 2014, 12:05:49 AM
QuoteJust look at the recent 'Friday The 13th' reboot. It's so terrible they're already attempting yet another.
The Friday the 13th reboot was actually pretty well-received and grossed a shitload of money for a slasher flick. Just because they're going for another reboot doesn't mean the last one sucked.

Exactly. In fact, as a huge F13th fan, I'd rank it third. Jason Lives is still the best.

Anyway, they're rebooting it again because too much time has passed. Also, it grossed a shitload of money, but the WAY it grossed a shitload of money put the kabash on any sequel. It was extremely frontloaded and made most of its domestic money opening weekend. This scared the shit out of the studios. Studios, plural. Which brings me to my next point. Another sequel means everybody in involved wants a bigger slice of the pie. Warner, Paramount, Platinum Dunes. It's a tough balance. So yeah, back to the drawing board.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: GQSioux on Jun 03, 2014, 10:00:00 PM
The future Clone Ripley develops a mutation and power that allows her to send her consciousness back through time and temporarily communicate to the real Ripley during the events near the end of Aliens. Young Ripley is warned about the egg on the Sulaco, finds it and destroys it which alters the events, starts a new timeline and gives us a new Alien 3.

Or you could.. You know, retcon Alien 3 and Resurrection as "Ripley's Nightmare".. which I mentioned a page back or two.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SiL on Jun 04, 2014, 12:05:49 AM
The Friday the 13th reboot was actually pretty well-received and grossed a shitload of money for a slasher flick. Just because they're going for another reboot doesn't mean the last one sucked.

I've only ever seen bad reviews for it, but regardless, having personally seen it, I personally rate it as a bad movie (in the same way as I do for that 'The Fog' remake).

Either way, point still stands: Any series reboot runs a huge risk of turning out something worse than whatever it's trying to replace and then you're pretty much stuck with the resulting new continuity. If we got something which was meant to retcon the third and fourth movies as dreams, but was at about the level of 'Requiem', there'd be much justified wailing and gnashing of teeth.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 04, 2014, 02:33:11 AM
Either way, point still stands: Any series reboot runs a huge risk of turning out something worse than whatever it's trying to replace and then you're pretty much stuck with the resulting new continuity. If we got something which was meant to retcon the third and fourth movies as dreams, but was at about the level of 'Requiem', there'd be much justified wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Personally, I do NOT want an Alien 5. I am just saying certain ideas to keep this discussion going and present a way an Alien 5 could be done while also keeping Weaver's age in mind. I mean do we really want a woman nearing her seventies doing stunts and battling Aliens? I know I wouldn't.

SM

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 04, 2014, 02:21:07 AM
Quote from: GQSioux on Jun 03, 2014, 10:00:00 PM
The future Clone Ripley develops a mutation and power that allows her to send her consciousness back through time and temporarily communicate to the real Ripley during the events near the end of Aliens. Young Ripley is warned about the egg on the Sulaco, finds it and destroys it which alters the events, starts a new timeline and gives us a new Alien 3.

Or you could.. You know, retcon Alien 3 and Resurrection as "Ripley's Nightmare".. which I mentioned a page back or two.

An idea floating around ever since people didn't like Alien3, and consistently and rightly consigned to the 'really bad ideas' file ever since.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Jun 04, 2014, 02:43:24 AM
An idea floating around ever since people didn't like Alien3, and consistently and rightly consigned to the 'really bad ideas' file ever since.

I liked Alien 3, both theatrical and assembly versions. But a lot of people have pointed out reasons that movie shouldn't or couldn't have happened. Which is why I pointed out to "Ripley's Nightmare". As to why it's a bad idea, enlighten me so.. Not that I am behind the idea of retconning Alien 3 as a bad dream in the literal sense. Still, enlighten me.

SiL

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 04, 2014, 02:33:11 AM
I've only ever seen bad reviews for it,
Well yeah, it's a slasher movie.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jun 04, 2014, 02:54:05 AM
I liked Alien 3, both theatrical and assembly versions. But a lot of people have pointed out reasons that movie shouldn't or couldn't have happened. Which is why I pointed out to "Ripley's Nightmare". As to why it's a bad idea, enlighten me so.. Not that I am behind the idea of retconning Alien 3 as a bad dream in the literal sense. Still, enlighten me.
A lot of people have pointed out reasons Aliens shouldn't have happened.

It's a cheap, lazy, whiny "fix" of a problem that doesn't exist.

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube RSS Feed