Sigourney Weaver new thought's on Alien 5

Started by The Ultimate Predator, Jun 02, 2014, 06:59:37 PM

Author
Sigourney Weaver new thought's on Alien 5 (Read 60,135 times)

KiramidHead

Sigourney, one movie with half assed superhero Ripley was bad enough. Please don't inflict another one on us.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 06, 2014, 11:08:50 AM
Annoys me how people harp on about 'undoing' Alien 3. People need to get over the fact there isn't a succession of Aliens sequels that are all basically the same movie.

People hated AlienĀ³ because it pissed on the ending of Aliens, not because it wasn't the same movie. ::)

Kimarhi

nah they hate it because it wasn't more of the same.  THey wanted to see Ripley's nuclear family take on all comers and reign victorious over the universe. 

KiramidHead

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 07, 2014, 12:24:35 AM
nah they hate it because it wasn't more of the same.  THey wanted to see Ripley's nuclear family take on all comers and reign victorious over the universe.

That's not necessarily what I wanted to see, at least. I'm fine with what Gibson had in mind.

Kimarhi

IT IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO SEE.  Search you feelings, you know it be true. 

KiramidHead

No, not really.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 07, 2014, 12:24:35 AM

The advertising certainly tried to lead audiences to believe two things:

A. On Earth.

B. Action packed.

None of the trailers leave you feeling like this will be anything but an action-adventure-suspense piece. Like Aliens.

That, the generally confused opening, and other elements really hurt the film. There was no way it would gain back it's goodwill with the audiences by and large.

I'm with KiramidHead. I think Gibson's script overall was the better direction go. It needed a few tweaks, but it was doing what a sequel should: growing the universe, and giving more without discarding the past. In much the same way Cameron went out of his way to tie Aliens to Alien with the opening sequence and not just ignore it, Alien 3, at least in Gibson's take, would have done that.

I don't think going back to just one alien hunting people down was a particularly smart move. I'm not saying you have to up the ante with each sequel... "Next time we'll have a BILLION OF EM!" No. Just, after we saw it in Alien, that was a played path, and ultimately nothing really new was shown to us in Alien 3, beyond the novelty of the alien being a quadruped species. That, again, didn't really show us much that was radically new. That's all design elements. In terms of story opportunities, As much as I hate to say it, even Resurrection did more with the Alien than Alien 3 ever did.

I've always thought an interesting direction to take the series would be, somewhat inspired by those scenes between Gediman and the alien in the cage. Or, something similar to "Day of the Dead" Where we get some really nice mad science going, and have the Alien revealed to be so much more than just bugs. Finally "squash" that notion. That was another reason I loved the Gibson draft. Everything that was learned in Aliens by Hicks was applied in his strategy to beat the aliens, and it ended up backfiring, because the aliens were in a state of change. That's exactly how they should have evolved from 2 to 3. Not just another alien killing people, but something more. Something beyond. They're not simply bugs, they're an adaptable species that can twist and morph based on the situations you put them into. 

KiramidHead

To clarify, when I refer to Gibson's script, I mean the second draft. That one had only three aliens.

whiterabbit

Quote from: Crazy shrimp on Jun 06, 2014, 10:24:30 PM
Quote from: AVP1974 on Jun 06, 2014, 09:59:49 PM
.......maby they could make her the antagonist of the movie. She turns on the humans and like a queen xenemorph she can control the xenomorphs....... ::)

Oh f**kn-A. Why not. She has the aliens DNA inside of her. Maybe she'll develop an ovipositor and start laying eggs. Just like how the queen developed a womb in A|R. After all of the times she's been screwed over for the higher percentage maybe she would want to change the world into one huge love nest where everyone works together. Proving that the aliens were the good guys all along.

bwahaha.

Lemonade

I have come to the conclusion that I am the only fan that would have wanted to see Ripley, Newt, Hicks and Bishop in an action-packed Alien 3 with them destroying the alien homeworld. Or just action packed in general, with those four core characters.

What's wrong with wanting that kind of sequel? Had this series taken that direction, it would've been wildly more successful. Perhaps on the Terminator franchise's level.

Kimarhi

Because Terminator is doing so well these days.

whiterabbit

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 07, 2014, 06:20:06 AM
I have come to the conclusion that I am the only fan that would have wanted to see Ripley, Newt, Hicks and Bishop in an action-packed Alien 3 with them destroying the alien homeworld. Or just action packed in general, with those four core characters.

What's wrong with wanting that kind of sequel? Had this series taken that direction, it would've been wildly more successful. Perhaps on the Terminator franchise's level.
Only fan? Don't think so lowly of yourself. That is pretty much what I was expecting of the 3rd alien movie. Instead what we got was AlienĀ³... which was good and all but come on guys, when can we expect that aliens sequel?

The terminator is a mess. It was those goddamn terminator-motorcycles that did it in.

Thomas

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 07, 2014, 02:01:55 AM
Quote from: Crazy shrimp on Jun 06, 2014, 10:24:30 PM
Quote from: AVP1974 on Jun 06, 2014, 09:59:49 PM
.......maby they could make her the antagonist of the movie. She turns on the humans and like a queen xenemorph she can control the xenomorphs....... ::)

Oh f**kn-A. Why not. She has the aliens DNA inside of her. Maybe she'll develop an ovipositor and start laying eggs. Just like how the queen developed a womb in A|R. After all of the times she's been screwed over for the higher percentage maybe she would want to change the world into one huge love nest where everyone works together. Proving that the aliens were the good guys all along.

bwahaha.

....... OK her laying eggs, and the xenomorphs being the "good guys" is quite a stetch.......

....... But Sigourney being the antagonist would be something different.......

DUB1

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 07, 2014, 06:20:06 AM

Because it would have been tedious and predictable. And don't worry, you're definitely not alone. Maybe you just have a persecution complex. It's rather common with a majority of people, in fact, to ironically feel like the minority.

I wouldn't have minded Hicks and Newt sticking around though, but certainly not in the way you've suggested it. But even though I don't have any problems with those two characters, many of their fans have made their deaths hilarious and satisfying to me. "DEY KILLD X AND NOOT!!!!!!!", lol.

As for Sigourney Weaver returning, whatever. Maybe it could be done right, but I've long been ready for the franchise to move on from the Ripley character.

Lemonade

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 07, 2014, 06:59:25 AM
Because Terminator is doing so well these days.

I'm talking about box office. A movie with Alien in the title, or aliens prominently in it, has never grossed Terminator: Salvation numbers.

Terminator is doing far better than Alien anyway. Most franchises are. It's one thing to have one or two misfires in your movie franchise, but when there are four poorly received movies in a row (3, 4, and the AvP's) there is a real, authentic issue. Not to mention, the succeeding spin-off/loose prequel was very divisive (although I love Prometheus).

This franchise struggles to reach its full potential.

Kimarhi

Terminator 3 and Salvation were poorly received by critics from what I remember.

They made a bunch of money but they were mediocre films. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed