The Neca 'Bootleg' Thread

Started by StayFrosty, Sep 28, 2020, 07:01:37 PM

Author
The Neca 'Bootleg' Thread (Read 15,469 times)

StayFrosty

StayFrosty

I'm starting up this thread for anything related to Bootleg Neca figures. Basically I have questions of my own to start us off.

Recently I've started collecting Neca Aliens again. I have a huge collection now. Since a bunch of what I ordered came directly from Ebay China sellers, it is my understanding that some of what I own are likely bootlegs. They weren't cheap, but were not overly expensive either.

Now - I've bought Neca figures directly from real-life Collector's stores, US sellers, China, directly from Neca, etc. It seems that it doesn't matter - quality control is a bitch for Neca no matter what. I literally have to place all my figures from Neca in boiling water before moving their parts to ensure nothing snaps off.

I like all my figures, besides quality control issues, and I don't find anything "bootleggy" about them. My understanding is that Neca bootlegs are being produced with the exact same molds and materials. It's usually just the paint jobs that differ.

So, my questions basically is: Why should I care if I own a Neca bootleg, besides the obvious moral reasons?

Neca has a huge issue getting things right to begin with. Why should I pay a hefty price for something when I could get a cheaper "Bootleg" that is about the same quality?

How do you even know if you own a bootleg? How do you tell the differences?

And my understanding is also that the bootlegs are in great quantity and becoming a huge, huge problem for Neca. Even if you aren't ordering from China, how do you know that what you're getting isn't from a Chinese reseller or something?

426Buddy

426Buddy

I have one bootleg of Neca's Celtic predator.

First thing is the packaging, my packing was half Celtics and half Scar's. Also the bootlegs use cheaper black twist ties while Neca uses clear/white ones.

Then the hands, joints, and extra parts don't look/work/fit quite the same.

Mostly the paint job is noticeably far worse than the real deal.

Nightmare

Nightmare

as far as i know they use the same exact molds from Neca, but they usually use cheaper plastic and the paint jobs aint great.

There was a youtube channel that made side by side comparisons and told you the give aways, ill see if i can find it

EDIT:
here you go

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHxfXDyDDI_sCFdQQdqF6OamM1LeNZ0iU

You can see the differences are minimal, i get why people would buy a fake on purpose for 1/3 the price

judge death

judge death

plus that neca dont produce their older stuff, hopeless to find the grid alien and others now when I can afford it :/

Gridseeker

Gridseeker

Quote from: Nightmare on Sep 29, 2020, 02:27:30 PM
as far as i know they use the same exact molds from Neca, but they usually use cheaper plastic and the paint jobs aint great.

There was a youtube channel that made side by side comparisons and told you the give aways, ill see if i can find it

EDIT:
here you go

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHxfXDyDDI_sCFdQQdqF6OamM1LeNZ0iU

You can see the differences are minimal, i get why people would buy a fake on purpose for 1/3 the price

Oh yes, that channel! So far the only English Spoken channel that compares Neca bootlegs. Great content.

windebieste

windebieste

The problem is exacerbated by the fact a legitimate retailer may source their stock directly from China rather than through NECA simply because it's cheaper to do so and then pass suspect product directly onto the consumer as an offiicial NECA item. I've of cases where that has happened, too.

-Windebieste.

Tichinde

Tichinde

I never got my hands on the ancient from AVP and I really want him, so I think Bootleg is the only way to go

judge death

judge death

Starting to think I will gamble and buy grid alien from ebay, probably a knock off but as there are no other options....

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

I have a lot of bootlegs. They're fine since I leave them in the box anyway.
I've considered replacing some of them though. Anyone know if BigBadToyStore is legit?

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Quote from: Deathbearer on Oct 17, 2020, 06:06:41 PM
I've considered replacing some of them though. Anyone know if BigBadToyStore is legit?

Yes it is

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

I did get the NECA 7-inch Jason Voorhees figures (Pts 3 & 4) from eBay. I didn't know about the bootleg problem until after ordering.

I checked the figures carefully (against "bootleg vs real" YouTube videos) and they look genuine. I'll never be 100% certain, but I got them for a good price and they do look nice.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Oct 17, 2020, 08:10:19 PM

Yes it is
Sweet
My biggest Bootleg offenders are my Jasons and they're not as rare as the Aliens stuff so if anything's getting replaced it's my Part 3, 4, and FvJ

I don't know if my Jungle Predator is a bootleg or not, it's hard to tell. Probably just going to leave well enough alone on that one.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: Deathbearer on Oct 20, 2020, 03:11:59 PM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on Oct 17, 2020, 08:10:19 PM

Yes it is
Sweet
My biggest Bootleg offenders are my Jasons and they're not as rare as the Aliens stuff so if anything's getting replaced it's my Part 3, 4, and FvJ

I don't know if my Jungle Predator is a bootleg or not, it's hard to tell. Probably just going to leave well enough alone on that one.
I was so worried that I may have received bootlegs, that I ordered both figures again, but this time from BIG BAD TOY STORE. So I'm covered.

Both sets of figures look very good, and I don't regret having two of each, both Jasons are my favourites.

Maybe I got lucky (I avoided Chinese sellers), but the next time I order a collectable, it'll be from a reputable source.

Katanu

Katanu

Bootlegs are making collecting the NECA figure a lot less fun for me. Brazil is LOADED with bootleg figures being sold. I always have to check who I'm buying from, where the figure came from, etc. I was decieved a couple of times already, but managed to get my money back, thankfully.

bobcunk

bobcunk

Is there a list of ever neca bootleg? Has there been any rhino aliens or 1/4 scale Batmans yet?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed