AvPGalaxy's Least Favourite Movie

Started by War Wager, Apr 22, 2008, 04:29:38 PM

Which is your least fave movie of the whole franchise?

Predator
6 (1%)
Predator 2
15 (2.6%)
AvP: Alien vs. Predator
51 (8.8%)
AvPR: Aliens vs. Predator - Requiem
269 (46.6%)
Alien
9 (1.6%)
Aliens
7 (1.2%)
Alien³
37 (6.4%)
Alien Resurrection
101 (17.5%)
Predators
12 (2.1%)
Prometheus
24 (4.2%)
Alien Covenant
12 (2.1%)
The Predator
34 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 557

Author
AvPGalaxy's Least Favourite Movie (Read 231,128 times)

Cosmic Incubation

Episode 1 was the beginning of the very slow and painful death of Star Wars

[cancerblack]

I like Episode 1 (more than any of the originals and certainly more than the other prequels) and Rez is probably my most rewatched Alien movie.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

It's a hard tie between Prometheus and The Predator -- both are in more or less the same tier for me, with similar 'crimes' -- but Prometheus wins my vote, I decided. Nothing comes close to space vin diesels. Funnily enough, my vote was still locked onto AvPR... back when it was my least favourite. Good times!

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: choccy milk on Oct 01, 2022, 12:55:07 AMIt's a hard tie between Prometheus and The Predator -- both are in more or less the same tier for me, with similar 'crimes' -- but Prometheus wins my vote, I decided. Nothing comes close to space vin diesels. Funnily enough, my vote was still locked onto AvPR... back when it was my least favourite. Good times!

I can give Prometheus a little slack for two reasons. One, at least it paid lip service to "Who made them?" Which left the potential open that the Space Jockey's proper were still out there, and two, it did not lock down the Alien's origins with anything concrete. It was busy doing (mostly) its own stuff. I can forgive Prometheus for those two reasons. My problems with Prometheus are more with the overall script writing and atrocious choices in editing. Cutting out so much character motivation absolutely cripples the films story.

Covenant just... Beyond just David being a completely villainous character, removing all shades of grey. Beyond the origin of the Alien (potentially) being locked down, beyond not having particularly good characters... It does everything that Alien could have done if it hadn't been handled with such class and maturity.

The Predator is guilty of both. It has a terrible script, and it does horrific damage to the franchise.

Requiem... I mean to me, it was just a dumb slasher movie, and in that sense I guess it does do a disservice to both franchises. The lower budget, the fixation on violence (I still remember seeing that population/body count trailer... Jesus.) But in reality I think the first AVP did just as much damage to the reputation of the characters. I saw that movie in the theater and then I got a copy off the ol' kazaa program back in the day... and in both cases there was essentially laugh track over the whole thing. Which is not the reaction an audience should be having to an Alien or Predator movie.

People seem to forget that the level of hype behind Prometheus carried an air of "Ah, finally, someone who knows what they're doing is going to restore the integrity of this film series." So many people spoke along those lines. FINALLY.... Ridley is back. surely he'll right this boat. So I see why there's an element of people out there who find it even more frustrating. I've mellowed to it over the years.

Alien 3 is like being in an abusive relationship, or someone who has a drug addiction or something. There's a lot of "fun" to be had, but there's also a lot of disappointment and frustration to be had as well. I am nostalgic for those summer evenings in the 90s and early 2000s when I could pop in my VHS of the Alien films, and afterward play some Alien trilogy on PS1. Alien 3 still stands above everything else that has come after it in the franchise. So far. Here's hoping Mr. Hawley brings his Fargo game to the Alien franchise and its not a completely miserable disappointment.

Like I said I have a hard time juggling Resurrection, Covenant, and The Predator for worst place. The Predator really... It "offends" me. Which is not a word I often use. It offends me in the same way Resurrection did. The big tonal disassociation with the rest of the franchise.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

BlueMarsalis79

I can give Prometheus this compliment, it is not either AVP film or The Predator and has done much good for the franchise overall. As has Alien Covenant.

Master Chief

Master Chief

I'm going to say that Alien Covenant is my least favorite.  My reasoning is solely based off the poor decisions of the crew.  All of the simple protocols and safety measures that are put into place to save lives, are completely ignored.  Being a Ridley Scott movie, I was hoping to get a crew that I cared for.  :( Danny is the only one I was rooting for.

Local Trouble

Alien and Aliens shouldn't even be options on this poll.  No one who's being honest would choose either one of them ahead of the rest.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 03, 2022, 11:52:33 PMAlien and Aliens shouldn't even be options on this poll.  No one who's being honest would choose either one of them ahead of the rest.
Both of them were met with more than an inkling of resistance when they first came out! Especially Aliens... old issues of Starlog already had some examples of 'veteran' fans crying "space bug!" and the usual fare.

BlueMarsalis79

Predator 2 and Aliens should absolutely be included, probably not Predator or Alien though.

Local Trouble

I refuse to believe that anyone would rank Aliens below AvPR or The Predator.  It just shouldn't be allowed. >:(

Master Chief

My guess would be because the younger generation grew up playing newer gen video games and were introduced to more CGI movies.  90s, 80s, and 70s flicks were made different and are just old movies to them that lack the visually pleasing style they're accustomed to.  I don't find it hard to believe.  They are wrong, though.  ;)

SiL

SiL

Alien should absolutely be included, many people find it painfully slow and boring.

BlueMarsalis79

That's true I suppose.

Local Trouble

I hate people.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed