Alien 3: A Sore Subject for Michael Biehn & Sigourney Weaver mourns "Hicks"

Started by Voodoo Magic, Aug 02, 2019, 08:16:36 PM

Author
Alien 3: A Sore Subject for Michael Biehn & Sigourney Weaver mourns "Hicks" (Read 31,209 times)

Voodoo Magic

Today from The Hollywood Reporter:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/terminator-what-happened-star-michael-biehn-1228634

• There aren't many topics that are truly sore subjects for Biehn, but Alien 3 — and his character's controversial offscreen death — are among them.

Alien 3, the troubled 1992 directorial debut from David Fincher, saw Hicks and the young girl Newt (Carrie Henn) die in a crash after the events of Aliens — a move that essentially negated the climactic events of Cameron's sequel. Unbeknownst to Biehn, the production planned on using his Hicks in the film — and had created a fake version of the character with his chest burst open, apparently after incubating an alien Xenomorph. Biehn got word from a producer friend, and called up his agent, furious. After tense negotiating, Biehn and Limato killed the chestburster idea, but gave permission to use his picture in the film — in exchange for a big payday.

"I've never seen anything past Aliens. I've never seen Aliens, 3, 4, 5. I didn't watch Covenant. I have no interest in anything like that. Any movie I'm close to or movies I wanted that I didn't get, I just don't watch them. There's no reason to put myself through the pain of 'I could have done so much better than that,' " says Biehn.

(Sigourney) Weaver still mourns the loss of Hicks, because of what further exploring that relationship could have meant for Ripley's character.

"I don't know what would have happened if Jim Cameron had directed Alien 3. I think it would have grown into a much more serious relationship and it would have been wonderful to see that," Weaver says. "I think he would be able to match Ripley strength for strength, which is something you haven't seen her experience."

There's more there about getting the role of Hicks, Bill Paxton, Terminator and his career in general.

Local Trouble

Samhain13

This matter is another egg on the Sulaco. It will never end.

"I don't know what would have happened if Jim Cameron had directed Alien 3. I think it would have grown into a much more serious relationship and it would have been wonderful to see that," Weaver says. "I think he would be able to match Ripley strength for strength, which is something you haven't seen her experience."

Would they bring each other potential to the fullest? We will never know.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Samhain13 on Aug 02, 2019, 10:02:31 PM
Would they bring each other potential to the fullest? We will never know.

Sigourney Weaver's willingness. De-aging software.

Don't speak too soon!

Local Trouble

Wasn't it Weaver's idea to kill Ripley in the first place?

Voodoo Magic

She's definitely gone on record saying that. Probably SM or SiL can list better than me all her explanations why throughout the years, but the mixing of Alien and Predator was her latest reasoning I believe.

The Old One

The Old One

Wow, arrogant.
(I refer to Michael Biehn's suggestion,
not Sigourney Weaver.)

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 02, 2019, 10:18:45 PM
Wasn't it Weaver's idea to kill Ripley in the first place?

Cameron mentioned she wanted no guns, to make love to the Alien and die.  Ward originally had Brother John do an exorcism where the Ripley vomits up the Alien.  It enters John, then he kills himself.  Weaver, I believe, said she wanted to die so Ward and Fasano rewrote it.

Local Trouble

Any idea why she decided to come back for AR?

Samhain13

Voodoo Magic

Yeah agreed. Ripley said she liked the Resurrection script, but she also said Resurrection's huge payday allowed her to do the smaller projects she really wanted to do. So I suspect it was mostly the latter.

Local Trouble

After the reception Alien 3 got, I actually allowed myself to believe that there was nowhere to go but up.  Too bad I was wrong.  Maybe Weaver felt the same and just said "f**k it."

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 03, 2019, 12:27:39 AM
Any idea why she decided to come back for AR?

It was a chance to do a new take on the character.

Voodoo Magic

Spoiler
And the record payday.
[close]

The Old One

The Old One

The Resurrection concept was doomed from the start, the bizarre film we got is the best one possible in my opinion because it's actually partially aware of the farce it is.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed