Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 206,125 times)

Hemi

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 17, 2021, 10:22:13 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 17, 2021, 09:42:46 PM
They should have went with NEW IDEAS

But they ... kinda ... did ?

Rogue One is so much more watchable than Prometheus

no

Yes.

Prometheus and Covenant are "OK" movies. But in the sense of replay value. Rogue One wins.
Even talking about it makes me want to watch it again tbh. Those other 2 movies though... not so much.

Each their own of course.

Evanus

Rogue One's fine, overrated as hell though. I'd take the alien prequels over it any day.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 18, 2021, 03:53:52 AM
Quote from: Kradan on Oct 17, 2021, 10:22:13 PM
They should have went with NEW IDEAS

But they ... kinda ... did ?

Rogue One is so much more watchable than Prometheus

no

What new idea? 

Everything done in Prometheus was brought up in some form or fashion by Scott himself ages ago.  He just replaced the Aliens (the original weapon in the bomber ship) with the magic goo.  I guess they new there were going to be bought out by Marvel, because that is some straight up comic book shit just like Royal Jelly was................oh wait. 

Visuals don't make a movie.  Especially when the visuals are so poorly spliced together dudes dead in one scene are alive in the next.

You can like Prometheus, just like some people can like ARes.  But no one on planet earth will convince me that there is anything remotely redeemable about Prometheus other than Noomi f(it isn't like she lit the world on fire either in this film I just like Noomi), Fassbender (the one true star of the prequels), and some of the sets.  The set design overall I think was better in Prometheus than Covenant, but Prometheus had almost NOTHING else going for it. 

I still prefer a reboot to another prequel, just because another prequel means I have to acknowledge Prometheus. 

Maybe there is some magic cut out there like the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 that helps the movie significantly, but until that time Prometheus remains terribad down there with AvPR.

I mean, it has literally put my dislike of Alien Res on the backburner.

There is no sequel movie, no prequel movie, no tie in media I hate more in any of the franchises I've followed more than Prometheus.

HuDaFuK

Rogue One is better in just about every regard tbh.

If the prequels had lived up to their promise (Prometheus in particular) they'd be superb, but they both sabotage themselves in various glaring ways I can't ignore. Rogue One doesn't suffer from any of that.

Evanus

I'd say Prometheus and Covenant have better visuals, acting and soundtracks, at least. Rogue One is probably a more solid film than both, but doesn't do much for me after the nostalgia kick wears off.

Kradan

To those of you who do not want watch the entirety of RLM video review on Rogue One I posted earlier - their critique of the film basically comes down to this:

1. Too much fan-service ("Remember this?"  type of shit that doesn't have any reason to be in the movie apart from pleasing fans)

2. Gritty war movie for the sake of gritty war movie without much substance

3. Flat mopey characters you don't feel anything when they die

4. Story that didn't need to be told ("Who the f**k cares how they got Death Star plans ?")

I find myself agreeing on pretty much all of these points

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 18, 2021, 11:05:51 AM1. Too much fan-service ("Remember this?"  type of shit that doesn't have any reason to be in the movie apart from pleasing fans)

Like the token Deacon scene at the end of Prometheus that adds literally nothing to the movie but pointless fan service?

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 18, 2021, 11:05:51 AM3. Flat mopey characters you don't feel anything when they die

Like the bulk of the cast in both prequels?

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 18, 2021, 11:05:51 AM4. Story that didn't need to be told ("Who the f**k cares how they got Death Star plans ?")

Who the f**k cares where the Alien came from? (Seriously, the mystery was so much more interesting than the clichéd, canon-breaking explanation Scott gave us.)

So of the four points you share, all but one absolutely apply to the prequels.

I'm not trying to dissuade you of your opinion, just playing Devil's advocate.

BlueMarsalis79

Prometheus for me just like Resurrection and Alien³ had everything going for it but the script...

And to me that's deeply saddening.

That's the one thing Aliens and Alien have that they just don't.

skhellter

Prometheus is nowhere near as well directed as Alien3.
You can tell Ridley did a lot of first takes.

"do you have an AGENDA, miss vickers?" [nods knowingly like he's in Garth Marenghi's Darkplace]

"..and CUT. bloody marvelous that was. Now what's for lunch?"

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 18, 2021, 11:12:03 AM
Quote from: Kradan on Oct 18, 2021, 11:05:51 AM1. Too much fan-service ("Remember this?"  type of shit that doesn't have any reason to be in the movie apart from pleasing fans)

Like the token Deacon scene at the end of Prometheus that adds literally nothing to the movie but pointless fan service?

True, I admittedly laughed when saw that thing for the first time. But IMO Rogue One has much more of it: Vader, CGI Tarkin and Leia, two creepy guys from ANH cantina scene, Imperial Walkers etc.

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 18, 2021, 11:05:51 AM3. Flat mopey characters you don't feel anything when they die

Another fair point  :D I guess, I sorta cared for Vickers, Milburn and Fifield and even, god help me, Holloway when they died. Also felt something when Janek and his crew crashed Prometheus into Juggernaut.  Out of cast of Covenant, well, I guess I felt bad for Oram

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 18, 2021, 11:05:51 AM4. Story that didn't need to be told ("Who the f**k cares how they got Death Star plans ?")

Who the f**k cares where the Alien came from? (Seriously, the mystery was so much more interesting than the clichéd, canon-breaking explanation Scott gave us.)

Yes, it's not necessarily story that was begging to be told. But, the way I see it, Scott at least put an interesting spin on it, tieng it to the humanity's origins and introducing themes of creationism, creation and creator, what it's to be a human ? etc. I'm among the minority that actually like  the idea of David being Alien's creator. In Rogue One we just see how rebels get Death Star plans. That's it. How interesting

No worries  ;)

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: skhellter on Oct 18, 2021, 04:17:42 PM

"do you have an AGENDA, miss vickers?" [nods knowingly like he's in Garth Marenghi's Darkplace]

That's true, but I think you know what I mean.

"Father, that's it." By far the worst offender.

Local Trouble

I thought I was the only one who cringes at that part.

Inverse Effect

Inverse Effect

Or... it could just be that Covenant was just a lackluster movie with or without the Alien.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 18, 2021, 06:47:26 PM

I thought I was the only one who cringes at that part.

I always cringe at that part because at the end of the scene, Shaw and Holloway are just standing there each holding a full drink in their hands. I imagine how the rest of the scene played out:

VICKERS: Weyland cared.

Awkward silence.

Sip.

HOLLOWAY: (gesturing to piano) So... do you play, Ms. Vickers?

VICKERS: No.

Sip.

Awkward silence...

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Kimarhi

So of the four points you share, all but one absolutely apply to the prequels.

Ding, ding, ding. My man has a winner.

Prometheus could have literally been done with absolutely no ties to the Alien series and had been a better movie for it.  Instead trying to forcefeed audience more retread stuff that has been around in one form or fashion for decades.

I mean the first 30 minutes of Prometheus is a retread of AvP.   OF AVP. 

Scifi exploration movies are going to usually follow some kind of similar setup, but this was almost the exact same setup as a movie already existing in the same franchise. 

I'll just leave it at that.  I think most people know of my intense dislike of Prometheus, and I don't want to continue another twenty post saying the exact same shit again. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed