Ridley Scott to direct 'The Last Duel'

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Jul 22, 2019, 09:20:09 PM

Author
Ridley Scott to direct 'The Last Duel' (Read 152,597 times)

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Sep 02, 2019, 09:25:52 PM
So I'm assuming that's on hold and Scott's going ahead with The Last Duel now.

Or something completely different we even don't know about. We're talking about Ridley-Unfinished-Projects-Scott :)

Ingwar

Ingwar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=54&v=IHFES5iqVJU

QuoteMatt is working with his BFF Ben Affleck again after they won the Oscar for writing "Good Will Hunting" in 1998. Damon and Affleck teamed up with Nicole Holofcener to write "The Last Duel," about a duel between Knight Jean de Carrouges and his squire. Ridley Scott is set to direct.

Damon said of the film, "We wrote for the first time in 25 years with Nicole Holofcener, who is a hero or ours — amazing writer, she's great. The three of us wrote this thing, so hopefully we will shoot it next year."

https://extratv.com/2019/09/10/matt-damon-on-writing-with-ben-affleck-again-after-25-years/

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Interesting find Ingwar.

I wonder when next year? That "hopefully" sounds like they don't have a confirmed shooting date yet or perhaps even a greenlight from the studio yet. So the question is, will Scott shoot Merlin now? Or something else entirely?

Ingwar

At least they have a script (see my new topic about Gladiator) ;D

Scott was scouting in Southern France. Damon talks about. It might be happening. And Merlin? I think we have to wait for interviews once Wolves are released. We'll find out more.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Yeah, though I don't really see Scott doing more commercials or jacket designs for the next 4 months. It's been almost two years since he filmed a movie.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Yeah, his time runs. He's 81 and he'll probably focus now on making films as he used to. He hasn't done film in 2 years but he shot 2 episodes of Wolves which is equivalent to 2 hours film (considering one episode is around one hour long). So technically he's made a "movie".

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Fair enough, two episodes of Wolves can be seen as more or less "feature" length.

Have you read The Last Duel book yet?

Ingwar

Not yet. I've got long list of books. I don't even know which one to pick up next. Once Duel is officially confirmed I'm gonna order it. I've read Wraiths of the Broken Land and Merlin and look what happened. Nothing so far :). I'm not complaining as Wraiths is great read and I enjoyed Merlin.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Well, as long as they were good books it's no loss.

I read the first couple of pages on Amazon UK just now. Looks good. Well researched. Maybe I'll check it out, always loved Medieval era stuff.

Ingwar

Yeah, go for it and let me know if it's worth reading. I just checked first pages on amazon and it doesn't look like a novel but historic book.

The Old One

The Old One

The Last Duel, very similar title to The Duelists -obviously, Ridley Scott's first film, as someone has already mentioned, wonder if it's a comparable end result.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Not only the title sounds similar. It seems both take place mostly in France and both are about two French soldiers bearing a grudge towards each other over a woman and subsequently fight a duel/series of duels. Both are also adapted from a book.

Ingwar

It seems like Ridley's rebooting his first movie ;D

The Old One

The Old One

Haha, indeed.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Variety'Killing Eve' Star Jodie Comer Eyes Ridley Scott's 'The Last Duel' (EXCLUSIVE)

Jodie Comer, the "Killing Eve" actress who took home a best drama actress Emmy for her role in the series on Sunday, is in talks for Ridley Scott's "The Last Duel," sources tell Variety.

Comer will star alongside Matt Damon and Ben Affleck in the revenge drama from Disney-Fox. "The Last Duel" is set in 14th century France and follows a man who goes to war and returns to discover a friend of his has raped his wife (portrayed by Comer). No one will believe the woman, and the soldier appeals to the king of France and says he wants to fight a duel to the death to decide the man's fate, becoming the last legally sanctioned duel in France.

The film has not yet been greenlit, however, and the studio is still deciding how to move forward. Sources have indicated that Comer's casting is a sure thing should the film get the go-ahead. If it's approved, "The Last Duel" is expected to go into production in early 2020.

Nicole Holofcener ("Can You Ever Forgive Me?," "Enough Said") is co-writing the script with Damon and Affleck. The duo will also produce along with Scott and his filmmaking partner Kevin Walsh. Drew Vinton is also producing for Pearl Street Films, and Madison Ainsley will executive produce.

Comer has become one of the more sought after leading ladies in town following her breakout role as the female assassin Villanelle in BBC America's "Killing Eve." Comer beat out a slew of actresses, including her co-star Sandra Oh, for the best actress in a drama series award at the 71st Primetime Emmy Awards. Before jumping into "The Last Duel," Comer is expected to shoot Season 3 of "Killing Eve," which starts production next week.

Comer will also appear in the upcoming Disney-Fox comedy "Free Guy" opposite Ryan Reynolds, marking one of the first big roles she landed after the first season of "Killing Eve." "Free Guy" is expected to bow next year.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/jodie-comer-ridley-scott-the-last-duel-1203323924/

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed