John Carpenter's The Thing vs. Alien or Predator

Started by Predator Collector, Aug 01, 2009, 07:36:00 AM

Author
John Carpenter's The Thing vs. Alien or Predator (Read 38,516 times)

Xenomrph

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Aug 02, 2009, 12:42:08 AM
Well, the Alien has to make contact with it in order to kill a thing, the Predator doesn't, he can just blow it away, so I'm not sure about Predator getting owned by default.
I guess it'd depend on how many Predators opt to use their ranged weapons by default, instead of doing the "more challenging/honorable" thing and trying to score a melee "kill" (and then instantly losing).

SiL

Okay, great, the Predator shoots it.

That just makes it explode into tinier Things, each one entirely capable of assimilating a Predator on its own.

Johnny Handsome

Well, a group of people managed to kill some things, can't see why a Predator couldn't do the same.

All you need is a flamethrower, i think a species which developed interstellar space travel, cloaking device and several hightech weapons could come up with something like that  :P

SiL

No doubt Preds would stand a chance, but if they happened to go hunting as normal and ran into them, I doubt their usual equipment would be much help.

Johnny Handsome

It wouldn't, because they are not dealing with something physical to hunt, they are dealing with a virus, basically. So it would be uninteresting for them in the first place. By scanning their objects i think they would realise that soon enough and would develop something for it.

SiL

I don't know if I'd agree with uninteresting. I think bagging an organism that constantly changes its basic cell structure would be something worth bragging about. :P

Xhan

Xhan

Seeing as we don't know if there's a substance that ALLOWS the TFAW mechanic to even TAKE PLACE, I'm not assuming anything. A facehugger has a carbon interface to glomp carbon lifeforms which COULD be a weakness. An Adult may not, especially if it doesn't have tasty carbon to begin with.

Secondly, Predators have some serious catalytic fluorine action going on. For all we know Pred sweat is completely 100% lethal to the TFAW.

Same for Aliens, a species that is compatible with Dogs, People, Jockeys, and Preds... that's pretty goddamn virulent in it's own right. Jockeys don't even seem to have the same setup as the two terrestrial morphologies in particular. For all we know Jockeys designed/stole Aliens to EAT the TFAW. Fire sure as hell kills the TFAW, it doesn't kill Adult Aliens. Thinking the Narcissus Engines would turned the things into kentucky f**ked virus.

Doesn't seem quite so cut and dried.

I think bagging an organism that constantly changes its basic cell structure would be something worth bragging about

Would that be what goes next the dread Invisible Stalker?

"No Seriously, I totally like pinky swear on my tusks it's not actually a parakeet, its a... space monster... no really."

SiL

Quote from: Xhan on Aug 02, 2009, 06:26:54 AM
Fire sure as hell kills the TFAW,
The one found at the Norwegian camp had been burned, but was still active. Fire can and does kill it, but not always.

Quoteit doesn't kill Adult Aliens.
And?

QuoteThinking the Narcissus Engines would turned the things into kentucky f**ked virus.
Good luck getting it there in the first place.

The Thing just needs one cell to start assimilating. It can go in through the skin first, working from the outside in, just like we see happen with Gary. Alien skin is immune to its own acid; start with the skin, start working down, acid is no longer an issue.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Xhan on Aug 02, 2009, 06:26:54 AM
Secondly, Predators have some serious catalytic flourine action going on. For all we know Pred sweat is completely 100% lethal to the TFAW.
Could you elaborate on this?

Sabres21768

Quote from: ShadowPred on Aug 01, 2009, 01:32:16 PM
It can replicate anything...every damn cell in it's body is ALIVE for christ's sake. So I say THE THING would win any day of the damn week, this is really no contest.

And I say you're completely wrong, for Christ's sake.

So, I say the Alien would win...any day of the damn week, NO CONTEST.

And I'm going to yell and act like a complete douche...just like you, over something as completely ridiculous as this thread.  ;)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Aug 03, 2009, 10:30:53 AM
Quote from: ShadowPred on Aug 01, 2009, 01:32:16 PM
It can replicate anything...every damn cell in it's body is ALIVE for christ's sake. So I say THE THING would win any day of the damn week, this is really no contest.

And I say you're completely wrong, for Christ's sake.

So, I say the Alien would win...any day of the damn week, NO CONTEST.

And I'm going to yell and act like a complete douche...just like you, over something as completely ridiculous as this thread.  ;)
The difference here is that he's right and you're wrong. ;)

Seriously though, I never got the impression that he was yelling or being a douche.  ??? He was just citing one of the basic creature properties of the Thing.

Übermensch

Don't forget The Thing can do perfect imitations.  It could imitate a predator and kill them that way, through deception.

Xenomrph

Well, I'd wonder how the Thing would handle replicating Predator technology, now that I think about it. Like, the Thing could handle replicating clothing and the like when it would imitate people, but I somehow doubt the Thing would be able to handle, say, replicating the Predator's cloaking field or other gadgets on the wrist gauntlets, etc. Maybe it'd be able to handle the wristblades since it can seemingly duplicate any substance, but I'd say it would be hard-pressed to replicate an actual firing imitation of the shoulder cannon.

Predator Collector

Predator Collector

Quote from: Übermensch on Aug 03, 2009, 11:40:14 AM
Don't forget The Thing can do perfect imitations.  It could imitate a predator and kill them that way, through deception.

Exactly. I was thinking that as well.

I also think that after a Predator would be completely imitated by The Thing, then The Thing would now have the Predator's knowledge (imitating its brain) and The Thing would probably know how to operate the Predator technology and work the weapons that were on the actual Predator. That would be a very bad Thing!

Xenomrph

That's a good point, I didn't consider that. When the Thing consumes a person, it isn't always made clear what happens to that person's clothes... but the person's clothes later get imitated by the Thing itself (even synthetic fabrics, metal buttons and zippers, etc). I wonder if the Thing would consume the organic Predator, leaving behind his gear on the ground, and then the Thing would just... wear the gear. That seems to make enough sense to me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed