John Logan "Revising" Alien: Paradise Lost Script?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 10, 2015, 11:16:00 AM

Author
John Logan "Revising" Alien: Paradise Lost Script? (Read 17,791 times)

Corporal Hicks

According to a comment in a new article from Variety, John Logan is currently working with Ridley Scott to revise the script for the Prometheus sequel, Alien: Paradise Lost:

“Following that double-whammy, it was 30 years before Scott tried his hand at sci-fi again, though he now seems firmly re-entrenched in the zone. "Prometheus," 2012's oblique prequel to "Alien," returned him to the extraterrestrial territory he revisits in "The Martian," while he and scribe John Logan are revising the script for an as-yet-untitled "Prometheus" sequel — inspired, he says, by Milton's epic poem "Paradise Lost" — set to start rolling in February.”

John Logan has written such films as the recent Bond films, Skyfall & Spectre and the very well received Hugo.

John Logan has written such films as the recent Bond films, Skyfall & Spectre and the very well received Hugo.

This comes from an article about Ridley Scott getting his much deserved star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame last week so the comment about Prometheus 2 being unnamed in a recent article (the news of Prometheus 2 being titled Alien: Paradise Lost came back in September) is a little off.

John Logan has been writing for screen since the 1990s. He is responsible for the recent James Bond films Skyfall and Spectre. John Logan has previously worked with Ridley Scott on Gladiator in 2000, one of several films he has been nominated writing awards for.

What do you think of John Logan working with Ridley Scott for Alien: Paradise Lost? Let us know in the comments below!

szkoki

we'll see in the theaters

Kenneth Nation

Kenneth Nation

Still working on the script three months before production begins. Sounds familiar. Alien3 would be a good example as to why a script should be ready before production starts. Prometheus had how many screenwriters and how many alterations just before filming? I know films have their scripts tweaked all the time, but we've heard this story before.

Keyes

Hopefully this is just a polish and not a re-write, as I was encouraged by Ridley's recent comments that this film would steer back into the Alien mythology as we know it. Though it's interesting how a couple of trade sites (Variety, Deadline) have been referring to the film as "untitled Prometheus sequel" again, as did the Australian government when it was announced it would be filming there.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kenneth Nation on Nov 10, 2015, 12:17:09 PM
Still working on the script three months before production begins. Sounds familiar. Alien3 would be a good example as to why a script should be ready before production starts. Prometheus had how many screenwriters and how many alterations just before filming? I know films have their scripts tweaked all the time, but we've heard this story before.

The parallels to Alien 3 are worrying. From the sounds of it, I don't think Ridley really knew what direction he wanted to take the sequel in but I think he figured it all out. Remember they were taking pitches from just about anyone.

From what we know Logan would be the 3rd writer mentioned in conjunction with the script but whether the other 2 named writers actually did work, I'm not sure. It was said Jack Palgen was "in talks" and numerous articles list Michael Green as rewriting the Palgen script.

That said, I do feel positive about Logan. He seems to have a nice battery of work and accolades behind him.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Yea that is odd; how it is referred as the "untitled prometheus sequel". Then again one guy makes a mistake and everyone copy pastas the text everywhere. I don't know who the guy writing is but I sure hope he knows how to write movies. :P

Nah this isn't going to be another alien³, if Ridley f**ks it up it'll be his fault. :P

oduodu

3 script writers and at least 16 dafts ?? At least he is heeding advice it seems but it doesn't bode well.

Whiskeybrewer

It worries me that they are still working on the script 3 or so moths before filming is meant to start. But I trust john Logan's writing ad hopefully, its not a complete rewrite, just a polish and sorting out a couple of bits

david8

Logan's probably been revising the script with Ridley for a while now, and this is pretty shoddy journalism; the whole article seems rushed, not to mention the fact that the reporter is ignorant of the sequel's title. 

reecebomb

Quote from: oduodu on Nov 10, 2015, 12:37:35 PM
3 script writers and at least 16 dafts ?? At least he is heeding advice it seems but it doesn't bode well.

Terrible news for us  :-\, Spectre had four writers and one of them was John Logan, the result is pure worthless trash. Skyfall looked great yet the script was so shallow. Haven't seen Rango, but none from his filmography are known for their good script, some are really poor.

Adam802

I just want Alien 5!!!!

locusta

Only positive vibe of this news to me is, that I respect and recognize him as a good writer since I love "Penny Dreadful" and he did good work on the last Bond movies as well. Let´s see.

Darkness

I doubt they're still working on the script. Sounds like that article on Variety was written a while ago... but then again, he mentions the Paradise Lost poem in the same paragraph. You'd have to be living under a rock not to know the title by now. Could just be a mistake listing Logan instead of the other chap who was doing rewrites.

CainsSon

I'm all for this. It's certainly just a polish, for one... And honestly, I think the biggest mistake they made with PROMETHEUS is that the best version of those two scripts was a combination of both. So a 3rd writer to polish the thing, and a good one, like John Logan, is hopefully, just what this needs.
I also don't think Ridley was totally at a loss for what to do with this sequel. Both writers of Prometheus mentioned having very frank discussions about where the series was headed,.. I just think that after that film was released Ridley saw the errors he made, and decided to correct them, so he knew he had to add stuff to the mix, and that's what all this has been about.
The script is the most important thing.

Gresh

John Logan has quite a few very good credits to his name, this is good news.  If this is true, I highly doubt its a full re-write and mostly a polish.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed