Genetic Aberrations, Revisiting The Predator - AvP Galaxy Podcast #95

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 21, 2019, 05:36:02 AM

Author
Genetic Aberrations, Revisiting The Predator - AvP Galaxy Podcast #95 (Read 19,806 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: EVILthePREDATOR on Oct 25, 2019, 12:21:02 AM
 like the idea of a rogue predator that's not playing by the normal rules and has revenge on its mind, what ever that may be. Perhaps in a flash back sequence we find out why. (Revenge for the original creatures death perhaps?) 

At least for me, I've gotten my fill of rogue Predators for now thanks to "Predators" and "The Predator". Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of Bad Bloods and would love to see the idea done spectacularly right, but I think for the next Predator installment, if it's one day in theaters or just streaming, they need to get back to basics and give us a single code following, hunting Predator in the vein of Predator and Predator 2 imo.

EVILthePREDATOR

Fair point voodoo! I wasn't thinking bad blood exactly, but I see where you're coming from.
I just thought it could give the first one even more weight in that Dutch killing it was so rare, it really wasn't supposed to happen, and now they are pissed off perhaps? And send in one of their most feared members to come and teach humanity a lesson in the galactic apex system, which is.. "don't f*ck with us"  ;D

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, I have to agree on moving away from the Predator on Predator conflict. As much as I love Predators, I do think that angle wasn't best handled and The Predator just botched it completely. I'd like to see them avoid it completely if they do make another film.

If I'm not going to get my World War 2 or Vietnam Predator film, I'd like to see it take place somewhere relevant in the modern times. I think Hunters 2 had a good idea with going to Afghanistan as it allows it tie into the mythology of the region with the Genies/Djinns aspect. I'd like something like that.

EVILthePREDATOR

Corporal hick, I agree about the predator vs predator situation. It just doesn't work imo and takes away from what this franchise was supposed to be about.

I just think a more evil predator could work. Which is why I call myself that on avp galaxy!  ;D

In terms of out and out horror and fear factor, the brutality of what these aliens are about should be raw and uncensored. It would be an interesting direction IMO.

A predator that conducts acts of savagery and is scary AF is where I'd like to see this franchise go. No more jokes and straight up terror is something I'd love to see happen. Even if it is a coded hunter.

Btw world war 2 or Vietnam is a great idea and could work on so many levels. Also hunters 2 is the closest Iv seen so far to how I'd like predator to be in modern times.

Because let's be honest if it was modern times, it would be the conflict zones they would likely use as their game reserve.

There's a lot going on in the world right now that could really give predator an air of realism it's been lacking for years.

The next film needs to take risks and be mature and intelligent in its story and characters. What ever that may be..

In the end, as long as a new film targets over 18s I'll be on board. I just don't ever want to waste money again watching a cheesy dumbed down version of my favorite all time character.

I don't think a huge budget (although nice 👍) is needed to make a decent film either. It just needs a decent script that's believable and true to the franchises roots, with decent characters that you can actually invest in emotionally. Every death should be felt. That's what good horror does best imo.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 25, 2019, 08:44:04 AM
If I'm not going to get my World War 2 or Vietnam Predator film, I'd like to see it take place somewhere relevant in the modern times. I think Hunters 2 had a good idea with going to Afghanistan as it allows it tie into the mythology of the region with the Genies/Djinns aspect. I'd like something like that.

I'm also a fan of a Predator hunting during a storm idea that's been tossed around a lot, and used to a lesser effective degree in "If it Bleeds".  I can visualize the film trailer where the first 30 seconds is dealing with characters trying to grapple with "the greatest storm on record", but if-things-weren't-bad-enough, a Predator shows up to hunt. I can also visualize a crazy finale where debris is flying everywhere while the protagonist and Predator is going at it.

EVILthePREDATOR

EVILthePREDATOR

I like the storm scenario voodoo! EPIC
It sure is great seeing people's different angles!

Long live AVPgalaxy!

I can just imagine actually the protagonist all battered and bruised saying "Feel the rain! There's no place to hide now you ugly son of a bit*h!"

Would make for a totally badass climax.

Still Collating...

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 25, 2019, 12:54:39 PM

I'm also a fan of a Predator hunting during a storm idea that's been tossed around a lot, and used to a lesser effective degree in "If it Bleeds".  I can visualize the film trailer where the first 30 seconds is dealing with characters trying to grapple with "the greatest storm on record", but if-things-weren't-bad-enough, a Predator shows up to hunt. I can also visualize a crazy finale where debris is flying everywhere while the protagonist and Predator is going at it.

A simple but a great and fitting premise for a Predator story.

Kurai

Creators trying to force faux relatability into everything, by placing the Predator into the suburbs (twice now they've done it and twice they've failed), or trying to peel back the veil and drain the creatures of their mystery and otherness, is a real plague in cinema right now.

I agree with the idea of taking a Predator and removing the "honor" from it for some intense horror.

Have a crew of folks familiar with the Predator's regular MO face it down in the Middle East only to be skinned alive and tortured by a Predator psychopath. Having it do something truly messed up like slowly removing bones for an amulet from its' still breathing victim, go full on vivisection.
It would be absolutely terrifying. It's all the things that make us afraid of psychopathy, but this time actually attached to a powerful superhuman level entity filled with malice.

God... Just thinking about it, I don't think I'm gonna sleep well.  :-X

EVILthePREDATOR

EVILthePREDATOR

@Kurai

Absolutely bang on bro! Predator hunts man for sport. He should be brutal and terrifying. And the camera shouldn't shy away from it. The audience should feel that fear. It's what made the original such a classic.

If people can't handle it then perhaps they should watch something else. Predator always had horror in it. It was always designed to make the audience feel helpless.

I want to see a true reflection of predator in our times now, that's powerful, brutal and terrifying.

Food for thought, Bad predator drops in Afghanistan.  Now perhaps he's torturing these men for trophies, because he's seen those same men torturing other men from the shadows?

Adding a layer of complexity to their honor system.

Kradan

Yeah, I have to agree on moving away from the Predator on Predator conflict. As much as I love Predators, I do think that angle wasn't best handled and The Predator just botched it completely. I'd like to see them avoid it completely if they do make another film.

The Bloody Sands of Time movie adaption, please .

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kurai on Oct 25, 2019, 08:35:58 PM
I agree with the idea of taking a Predator and removing the "honor" from it for some intense horror.

Have a crew of folks familiar with the Predator's regular MO face it down in the Middle East only to be skinned alive and tortured by a Predator psychopath.

The hunting code and honor has been basically non-existent in the last two Predator movies. That aspect is actually what seperates Predator from the hundreds of psychopathic ho-hum monsters that just kill, kill, kill and it is what makes Predator so interesting and different.

They can still be extremely scary and brutal, but I think it's time to return to what made them special in the first place. :)

Kurai

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 26, 2019, 01:32:59 PM

Have a crew of folks familiar with the Predator's regular MO face it down in the Middle East only to be skinned alive and tortured by a Predator psychopath.

The hunting code and honor has been basically non-existent in the last two Predator movies. That aspect is actually what seperates Predator from the hundreds of psychopathic ho-hum monsters that just kill, kill, kill and it is what makes Predator so interesting and different.

They can still be extremely scary and brutal, but I think it's time to return to what made them special in the first place. :)

Highly disagree here.
We had AvP and Scar was a stand up dude with a moral compass
We had Predators, and even the Super Predators there fought somewhat fair and square. They fought like game hunters at worst.
AvP:R where Wolf was just there to do a job and, apart from a single kill that may have been a bit questionable, he just did his best to get shit done.
Then The Predator, we literally have one Predator apparently going out of their way to bring us a weapon because their moral code was triggered. Sure the Upgrade Predator was a bit brutal, but even he gave time for the humans to get away.

You are totally wrong here. :laugh:
If anything, the honor thing has been ramped up.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kurai on Oct 26, 2019, 02:18:13 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 26, 2019, 01:32:59 PM

Highly disagree here.
We had AvP and Scar was a stand up dude with a moral compass

Read what I said again. I said "Predator movies". Not AvP movies.

QuoteWe had Predators, and even the Super Predators there fought somewhat fair and square. They fought like game hunters at worst.

Fought fair and square? The battle was fine but no sense of honor, ritual or code was presented to the audience. And the classic Predator was strung up which is quite a torture. Where's the honor portrayed to audiences in that?

QuoteThen The Predator, we literally have one Predator apparently going out of their way to bring us a weapon because their moral code was triggered.

In the uneven film The Predator, the playing possum Fugitive let naked Casey survive, but conflictingly killed a bunch of other unarmed doctors in the lab. But that whole script is a mess.

QuoteSure the Upgrade Predator was a bit brutal, but even he gave time for the humans to get away.
In the camper? Watch it again. That had nothing to do with honor but rather mission. "Tracking stolen cargo." The humans at that point wasn't its primary concern.

QuoteYou are totally wrong here. :laugh:
If anything, the honor thing has been ramped up.

In Predator 1 and 2 there was not killing the unarmed. Not killing the young. Not killing the pregnant. Respecting the prey when it kills a fellow Predator, even rewarding the prey.

No... any sense of honor, ritual or code has not been been ramped up clearly to audiences in the Predator movies since Predator 2. Just the opposite. It's been marginalized.

Darkness

Indeed, I didn't expect your new microphone Xenomorphine - you sound so clear now.

It would have been nice to have somebody who liked The Predator on the podcast. It was a bit hard to listen to the three of you slate something you liked. Well, I don't love the movie but I don't think it's as bad as you guys are making it out to be.

Kurai

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 26, 2019, 02:59:23 PM
Read what I said again. I said "Predator movies". Not AvP movies.

I read that, but this is a clear example.

Fought fair and square? The battle was fine but no sense of honor, ritual or code was presented to the audience. And the classic Predator was strung up which is quite a torture. Where's the honor portrayed to audiences in that?

They literally provided the prey with weapons, they had numerous points where they could have slaughtered the prey outright and they didn't, they even entered into one on one unarmed combat when provided.
The strung up Jungle Predator was from another clan they were enemies with. There's honor and then there's pathological adherence to "honor". They were showing that their enemies weren't worthy of honor and that makes perfect sense.
No sense of ritual? The entire movie is one incredibly complex ritual.  :-\

In the uneven film The Predator, the playing possum Fugitive let naked Casey survive, but conflictingly killed a bunch of other unarmed doctors in the lab. But that whole script is a mess.

It's ambiguous here, I'll give you that, but I don't think he was playing possum, I think he had just woken up and was desperate to escape. The scientists could very well have drugged him again and he was eliminating that threat. Again, there's honor and then there's pathological adherence to a code when it makes no sense.

In the camper? Watch it again. That had nothing to do with honor but rather mission. "Tracking stolen cargo." The humans at that point wasn't its primary concern.

Primary concern or not, it gave the humans a fair head start and even gave them opportunities to set traps when it could have easily have slaughtered the bunch of them, taken the kid and headed home for the day.

In Predator 1 and 2 there was not killing the unarmed. Not killing the young. Not killing the pregnant. Respecting the prey when it kills a fellow Predator, even rewarding the prey.

No... any sense of honor, ritual or code has not been been ramped up clearly to audiences in the Predator movies since Predator 2. Just the opposite. It's been marginalized.
I disagree but then I guess we're at a roadblock.  :-\
Even The Predator, the one I'm closest to agreeing with you about has clear examples showing that you're wrong, one you even listed yourself, and again the very premise of the movie, with the delivering of the Predator Killer armor is another clear sign of your fractal wrongness on the topic.

Predators even had the Jungle Hunter respect Royce after being freed.

And, while I wouldn't count it, it's fun to add that the Predator Hound in the Predator, turned good after being defeated.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed