Alien: The Cold Forge - Titan Books

Started by felix, Sep 14, 2017, 01:45:44 AM

Author
Alien: The Cold Forge - Titan Books (Read 122,645 times)

AnthaiHero

AnthaiHero

Just finished the audiobook and man was this phenomenal. Also the narrator was amazing. He really made Sudler come to life.

SM

SM

Maybe not the best idea to be promoting that.

The Old One

The Old One

No, especially not if you want more work of this caliber. Buy it and support the author.

Nostromo

Chapter 7 on audiobooks really loving it, as good as River of Pain so far.

Corporal Hicks

I was listening to/reading chapters on and off last time. I did really like the narrator too. Thought he did a great job.

I'm about halfway through Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe and I'm really enjoying that too. Can't say it's my usual bag but it's quite addictive.

SpanishAdam

I finished Cold Forge recently, and enjoyed it a fair bit. My only main gripe was Sudler towards the end. It felt like his "daddy issues" were a little out of place. Other than that, I'd definitely recommend it!

The Cruentus

I would like there to be an audible drama version of Cold forge, it would be interesting to see that come to life but it might not work well for Sudler since one of the interesting things about him in the book is his thoughts and ways of thinking, which would unlikely to be included in a AD.

426Buddy

I finished the book yesterday.

Honestly its the best thing to come from the franchise since Isolation. Just a really fantastic alien story.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 12, 2018, 04:20:12 PM
I would like there to be an audible drama version of Cold forge, it would be interesting to see that come to life but it might not work well for Sudler since one of the interesting things about him in the book is his thoughts and ways of thinking, which would unlikely to be included in a AD.

I second this motion.  We need this as an audible version.  Heck, make this a movie.  But in terms of Sudler's thoughts being a problem on audible, I think that isn't an issue.  The narrator was giving us the thoughts from an alien as they played out in Decker's mind in the last audio book, and it worked out just fine.  It comes down to the director's talent.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 12, 2018, 04:20:12 PM
I have an idea that the next Alien day will have an announcement if the Cold Forge audio drama. They've done all the other ones, so it makes sense that they'll do this one, too.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 12, 2018, 04:35:05 PMHonestly its the best thing to come from the franchise since Isolation. Just a really fantastic alien story.

Yeah. I'm coming to the end of a re-read myself at the moment; I've literally never re-read a book so soon before. I was thinking yesterday that I've always found the first three films to be what I love most about the franchise, with probably only Isolation from the EU really matching up to them in terms of how much I enjoy the overall product. I think this book might have joined that club though.

Something else I've really noticed second time around that I've not seen mentioned - I really dig how it's almost entirely presented from the points of view of Blue and Dorian, but with the occasional "interlude", as White calls them, from other characters. That's a neat stylistic touch.

Russ840

With you on that. Although I do have a couple of Aliens comics on my list of 'Best Of The Franchise'

For me, this is the only Alien book I would re read.  I own a digital copy but would purchase a hardcover copy if it saw a release.

The Old One

The Old One

While I think Isolation has a serviceable story, no nonsense- tonally in line with Alien, believable method for the Derelict to be revisited etc
It inhabits the world of Alien and feels very genuine doing so, but unfortunately the character writing while exceptional for background characters in particular, the main characters aren't all that well defined partially due to the runtime of the game spending most of its' time away from others.

That's where The Cold Forge really surpasses Alien Isolation, in it's writing of character and motivation.
Every character in The Cold Forge is more nuanced and layered than Amanda Ripley.

It's also essentially why when people say they'd like a sequel to Alien Isolation;
I question why they'd want Ripley back because she's followed through on what she set out to do.

Yet another thing The Cold Forge made me realise too, is that with the Derelict destroyed and the eggs gone.
The only remnant of the original Alien strain exists aboard the Torrens, unless the Plagiarus Praepotens obtained somehow brings it back.

426Buddy

I agree, but i wasnt really commenting on which one is better or why. Just that Cold Forge is the best thing since.

Its interesting that the general plot for Cold Forge isnt anything new, but the characters and the way things unfold really elevated the the story to something great. Also the Aliens were given great respect and written in in a way that made them feel like a scary and tangible threat to the rest of the characters.

Spoiler
Can anyone tell me where the eggs came from? I know they mentioned Burke in the beginning. I'm not sure when this book takes place in relation to the films.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed