Ridley Scott Wants to “Scare the Shit Out of People"

Started by Stolen, Jun 21, 2016, 08:14:21 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Wants to “Scare the Shit Out of People" (Read 35,890 times)

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

I think what Prometheus did was use the alien franchise popularity and give fans a taste of whats to come even if they convoluted it by making an intellectual mind tease, with a paced out kind of horror. The budget was there so they did it. I hope Riddles uses this as leverage because i believe there is no mistake in making  Prometheus but there would have been if they used the original script with Aliens. They would have fed fan service too quickly if they did. Spoil the shit out of fans, without even testing the waters (considering it's ridley's return to the franchise).
The bet is on to see if the next movie will be less adventure and more horror. and another bet to see if he will place xenomorphs (from the first one) into it or if it's yet another tease.
Either way, i just hope there are no bunny rabits.

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jul 05, 2016, 12:53:58 PM
I hated the deleted scene, where Holloway takes Shaw pretty roughly. In the end, she yields (whatever floats her boat, I guess) but for two characters who are supposed to have chemistry the scene didn't really explain their attraction. In fact, I couldn't tell why they were together apart their mutual desire to meet aliens, or whatever, but even then, they disagreed rather strongly. Opposites, attract, and all that--sure, fine, whatever. I understand the concept, but didn't like the characters when they were onscreen, together. They did nothing but argue and bicker, it felt like.

The movie wasn't really that funny. For such a short film (shorter than Alien, and that film, with the number of characters and the rate at which they are dealt with, is expeditious), I found it far easier to bond with jokers like Parker and Brett, than, say, Milburn and Fifield, who clearly were supposedly to be the comedic relief, in Prometheus. The short amount of time they spend onscreen is used to demonstrate how much they dislike each other, with a small chuckle being delivered right before the Hammerpede scene. Nobody in the movie likes each other, even remotely. It's like, none of them could relate to each other, and if they can't, how are we supposed to relate to them? There has to be some kind of understandable animosity or friendship. Alien did this very well, was a very lean film at the same time. Prometheus, on the other hand, was far too skeletal to stand on its own two feet.

My point is, this skeletal, truncated, terminally-abreviated quality to Prometheus, left it unable to function as a horror film or an adventure film, because most of the characters were unlikeable or difficult to relate to, or just downright confusing. People die in horror films, so you have to be able to relate to them, or the deaths don't mean anything.

The one character I appreciated the most was David, who is ironically the most enigmatic and duplicitous, but infinitely more enjoyable than the bevy of other baffling crew members. While the others were confusing, however, I was able, with David, to theorize and potentially understand his motives. He's a complex character, but studying his actions gleans something satisfying: a) He was funny and b) while he hated certain characters, I got why. He pretended to like them, but had things going on beneath the surface that gave him a layered, satisfyingly-mysterious quality to his persona. With characters like Shaw or Holloway or Vickers, they were simple, and did things that were more confusing than anything else. Attempting to reason their actions yielded confusion, and frustration, because they really are simple, with everything laid up in front of you, but the pieces don't add up. It's like having a jigsaw puzzle with 2-3 pieces where none of them fit. There's nothing complex going on--it's just nothing works.

If Scott really wants to scare people, he needs to avoid the kind of simple, confusing character design that populated Prometheus' cast. Less characters, more screen time, more laughs, more compatible and sympathetic people and situations. I'm not a trucker, but I can still identify with the Nostromo crew, on some level. The only person I could relate with in Prometheus is David, and he's not even human! Maybe that's the point, sort of like in 2001, where the human characters have essentially become dehumanized. But then, in Prometheus, trying to tug at the audience's heartstrings when Holloway buys the farm, or scaring us properly during any of the other fatalities, is like mixing beer and wine.

Inverse Effect

Prometheus was barely an Alien movie. Scott saying it has "Alien DNA" was just a lose term for having a few minor references and connections. Prometheus probably didn't even start out as an Alien movie, you could change the ship design around slightly for the Engineers, Replace the Engineers with some Random E.Ts and Boom!, you got a run of the mill Sci-fi movie about some Black Goo DNA changing shit.

It's Barely.... An Alien movie.

lv_226

lv_226

Quote from: Guts on Oct 18, 2016, 06:30:30 AM
Prometheus was barely an Alien movie. Scott saying it has "Alien DNA" was just a lose term for having a few minor references and connections. Prometheus probably didn't even start out as an Alien movie, you could change the ship design around slightly for the Engineers, Replace the Engineers with some Random E.Ts and Boom!, you got a run of the mill Sci-fi movie about some Black Goo DNA changing shit.

It's Barely.... An Alien movie.

You have some valid ideas, however, Prometheus did start as an Alien movie — as evinced by the early script drafts. This is not to take away from some of the film's faults, which are augmented quite ironically, by the BTS and supplemental materials released.

As of late, comments like those made by NickisSmart and others make me nervous for Covenant because the film took such a long time, scriptwise, to come together. With 17 actors billed so far, I have doubts about how effective an ensemble cast of this size can be given the the delays in production. I want to be hyped for this film, I really enjoyed Prometheus, and what we have seen thus far looks promising and mysterious (in a more direct and less obtuse way than in Prometheus). I just want to be able to invest myself more in the characters this time around.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed