Predator: Hunting Grounds Catch-All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 07, 2019, 09:39:48 AM

Author
Predator: Hunting Grounds Catch-All Thread (Read 106,823 times)

Mr.Turok

As someone who wants Harrigan back, I do wonder how they are going to fit him in the game story wise. The excuse for Dutch being able to fight on the field alongside younger and more able soldiers is due to the experimentation of Predator DNA and medical tech. Harrigan 1997 is one thing seeing how Dutch 1989 is just handwaved as a skin, but Harrigan 2025 is another area entirely. I just don't see him accepting experimentation on him, judging by his character.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Dec 28, 2020, 05:50:21 PM
As someone who wants Harrigan back, I do wonder how they are going to fit him in the game story wise. The excuse for Dutch being able to fight on the field alongside younger and more able soldiers is due to the experimentation of Predator DNA and medical tech. Harrigan 1997 is one thing seeing how Dutch 1989 is just handwaved as a skin, but Harrigan 2025 is another area entirely. I just don't see him accepting experimentation on him, judging by his character.

Well, Harrigan is in his 30s in 1997 per the novelization I believe? I would have to double check that, but let's say he's 32 during Predator 2 in 1997. Then in 2025 Harrigan is 60. Give him the speed of support but I think if Harrigan kept himself in shape, he'd be fine to battle Predators at 60. He'd be excellent to lead a team at least.

I mean Arnold was 56 at the point of Terminator 3.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 28, 2020, 08:58:16 PM
Well, Harrigan is in his 30s in 1997 per the novelization I believe? I would have to double check that, but let's say he's 32 during Predator 2 in 1997. Then in 2025 Harrigan is 60. Give him the speed of support but I think if Harrigan kept himself in shape, he'd be fine to battle Predators at 60. He'd be excellent to lead a team at least.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/81/aa/0d/81aa0d4045eb22c8503ca56f38c0fc1e--terminator--arnold-schwarzenegger.jpg

That would make sense, given his character. The man didn't even give in during Drug Wars, chasing down that fugitive Predator without missing a beat. Plus he was always the team leader; we see it in Predator 2 with his crew in LA and even training elite police units to combat dangerous criminals around the world after retiring. I can see a Assault/Support hybrid class on his own, having perks that help coordinate with Fireteam better.

Now its just the matter of how will he agree with joining OWLF, seeing his experience with them the first time was a horrible first impression.  :laugh:

SuperiorIronman

You could explain it as he's one of Dutch's crew. He's not there for the OWLF, he's present because of his prior experience which makes him an asset to Dutch since Predator survivors can be few and far between. Dutch was present at the very least for the end if not post-Predator 2 stuff so he might've been at least aware of Harrigan.
We're also on missions in the game through Fireteam Voodoo whom Zeus could've brought on Harrigan for dealings with cartels and a potential Predator.

Though if added he could just as easily be his appearance from 97 and it simply doesn't need an explanation aside from some flavor text saying who he is.

I could see him coming with a knife skin that changes the knife into the smart disk and maybe his pistol or shotgun from the movie. Maybe a perk to spot Predator and ability to parry better since he went head to head with City Hunter.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Dec 28, 2020, 10:55:48 PM
Now its just the matter of how will he agree with joining OWLF, seeing his experience with them the first time was a horrible first impression.  :laugh:

The OWLF guys were just a bunch of *ssholes.  But even Keyes finally broke protocol and let Harrigan in the know of all the top secret Predator details, so I doubt Harrigan's relationship with OWLF is irreparable. Not like Dutch and the CIA that ultimately set up his team for the "expendable assets" they were. That sh*t is broken. But Keyes kept warning Harrigan to stay out of it because he doesn't know what he's dealing with. In a way, directly or indirectly, Keyes was trying to keep Harrigan's team safe. So I don't see an issue with a higher up from OWLF saying Hey Harrigan, I agree Keyes was an ass, but I want you to lead a team. I mean, how can Harrigan go to regular cop duty anyway after all that?

Corporal Hicks

Kradan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 28, 2020, 08:58:16 PM
Quote from: Mr.Turok on Dec 28, 2020, 05:50:21 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/81/aa/0d/81aa0d4045eb22c8503ca56f38c0fc1e--terminator--arnold-schwarzenegger.jpg

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 29, 2020, 02:16:44 PM

The OWLF guys were just a bunch of *ssholes.  But even Keyes finally broke protocol and let Harrigan in the know of all the top secret Predator details, so I doubt Harrigan's relationship with OWLF is irreparable. Not like Dutch and the CIA that ultimately set up his team for the "expendable assets" they were. That sh*t is broken. But Keyes kept warning Harrigan to stay out of it because he doesn't know what he's dealing with. In a way, directly or indirectly, Keyes was trying to keep Harrigan's team safe. So I don't see an issue with a higher up from OWLF saying Hey Harrigan, I agree Keyes was an ass, but I want you to lead a team. I mean, how can Harrigan go to regular cop duty anyway after all that?

Bit too late for the party, I guess, but nonetheless:

Mr.Turok

The OWLF guys were just a bunch of *ssholes.  But even Keyes finally broke protocol and let Harrigan in the know of all the top secret Predator details, so I doubt Harrigan's relationship with OWLF is irreparable. Not like Dutch and the CIA that ultimately set up his team for the "expendable assets" they were. That sh*t is broken. But Keyes kept warning Harrigan to stay out of it because he doesn't know what he's dealing with. In a way, directly or indirectly, Keyes was trying to keep Harrigan's team safe. So I don't see an issue with a higher up from OWLF saying Hey Harrigan, I agree Keyes was an ass, but I want you to lead a team.
Thats true. Hell, even the OWLF has been reformed and reborn with Keyes' son at the helm. I just wonder what would lead Harrigan to say yes, seeing that he retired decades later from being a cop, which brings us to a point..........

I mean, how can Harrigan go to regular cop duty anyway after all that?

I honestly wondered the same after reading Drug War! All those years of being in the force and then retiring after all of that? I doubt it was that simple to lead a normal life knowing about the existence of alien life, and a hostile one at that. Not even a shred of mentioning OWLF or possibly meeting Dutch to discuss stories about their encounter? Granted, this story was written before Hunting Grounds but man it still sucks that somethings couldn't make it through. Even Gaber retired from OWLF to sell weapons in Brazil was so weird, seeing he was Keyes' loyal right hand man and deeply shares the same vision.

I mean selling weapons in Brazil? ::)  I wonder if its possible to rewrite the short story. I know that rewriting short stories into bigger ones isn't new in media.

Voodoo Magic

In a wonderful anthology of wonderful stories, Drug War was just utter disappointment in my opinion in so many ways. It doesn't exist in my headcanon. :-[

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 08, 2019, 04:40:41 PM
When ex-cop Harrigan spoted ex-owlf Garber at a gun show so many years later, and being so much older, how I craved for them to call a truce, grab a beer together, and talk.  There's only a few people in the world who can have a conversation about a Predator, who can talk about what happened in LA. Who can truly understand what was gained and what was lost. There's stuff both probably have kept burried deep inside for a long time.  And to explore none of this, and instead opt for a backstory on a comic relief character named Fernando who wants to be a movie star, was such a missed opportunity.  It still makes me sad. :'(

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 09, 2021, 03:14:21 PM
In a wonderful anthology of wonderful stories, Drug War was just utter disappointment in my opinion in so many ways. It doesn't exist in my headcanon. :-[

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 08, 2019, 04:40:41 PM
When ex-cop Harrigan spoted ex-owlf Garber at a gun show so many years later, and being so much older, how I craved for them to call a truce, grab a beer together, and talk.  There's only a few people in the world who can have a conversation about a Predator, who can talk about what happened in LA. Who can truly understand what was gained and what was lost. There's stuff both probably have kept burried deep inside for a long time.  And to explore none of this, and instead opt for a backstory on a comic relief character named Fernando who wants to be a movie star, was such a missed opportunity.  It still makes me sad. :'(

Like the premise isn't that bad, another Predator encounter in Rio de Jairo, just the execution was so poorly done. Harrigan could have been doing the retirement business just the same, training new police units and soon comes across Garber who is here following on a new Predator lead. Harrigan getting prepared for the new encounter, while catching up with Garber on OWLF events after 1997. Meanwhile the bad blood Predator is hunting around indiscriminately, causing chaos. Having a Predator bad blood would be a cool antagonistic dynamic for Harrigan and Garber, dealing with a new form of Pred they haven't seen before. The ending of the enforcer Predators taking in the bad blood was an interesting ending, as it mirrors them doing their job like Harrigan does. Would have been neat if they recognized him due to the stories of the Lost Tribe telling others about the LA Hunt and honor him still fighting the good fight even in advanced age. While I understand the idea of Fernando being the middle man/comic relief/guide for the protags to follow in this new environment, it really did center around him too much.

This story still can be fixed, or at least it turns out differently in my mind lol

Voodoo Magic

Nice ideas. I really like your Bad Blood angle! 👏

That, a bit of retrospection, a dash of introspection and the exorcizing of Fernando and I'd certainly be singing quite a different tune about it!

Now all we need is a DeLorean and a Flux Capacitor! :)

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 11, 2021, 10:52:24 PM
Nice ideas. I really like your Bad Blood angle! 👏

That, a bit of retrospection, a dash of introspection and the exorcizing of Fernando and I'd certainly be singing quite a different tune about it!

Now all we need is a DeLorean and a Flux Capacitor! :)
I would honestly love if they take the short story, rewrite it into a good comic or its own novel. The premise itself, again is already very interesting that I want to see more from it.

Oh and I just realize to add to my ending version, if Garber is still alive by the end, have him or another OWLF representative ask Harrigan help train a new team of Fireteam Voodoo who are also operating in the region, seeing that they too had Predator encounters and are loosely working with OWLF during their counter-terrorism missions. Just a nice tie in to Hunting Grounds!

Kradan

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 15, 2021, 10:40:59 PM
Quote from: Mr.Turok on Jan 15, 2021, 09:16:20 PM
Fireteam Voodoo

:D ;D :D

Man idk what they are called, Zeus be calling them both names during gameplay so I just slapped them together. I honestly think that the name Fireteam sounds so generic, it should have been something cool like the Bloodstone Unit or something.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed