Prometheus Teaser Trailer Analysis

Started by Darkness, Dec 23, 2011, 06:01:26 PM

Author
Prometheus Teaser Trailer Analysis (Read 57,292 times)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

It can happen, but we all know what that audio sounded like - especially the shriek at the end. From what I recall, heart attacks just sort of paralyse you into non-action, not something where you go, "AGH!"

I've always suspected that Ridley prefers to shy away from certain things he deliberately put in there, to appear a bit more respectable. I find it very difficult to accept he wasn't aware of what having that tail slowly creep up between Lambert's legs was going to look like, especially when it wasn't filmed that way.

It brings to mind how he thought the vagina-like egg openings were "obscene" and others had to point out, dude... You've got a monster running around with a three-foot penis on its head and you think those are obscene?! :D

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: deuterium on Dec 30, 2011, 11:35:13 PM
Link finally worked for me.  Not sure what the problem was.  Interesting article.

My only reservation/qualification in you last reply is "that it can happen to anyone".  Well, yes, in the general sense that no one necessarily knows if they have won (or lost, maybe more appropriately) the genetic lottery, and just so happen to have certain genetic allele(s) that cause the adrenal glands to over-produce epinephrine...at levels enough to put the heart into a deadly arrythmia.  I mean, getting struck by lightning "can happen to anyone", as well.

Look these reports are rare, and many times anecdotal.  While the MD's can explain the causitive chain of physiological events that could trigger such an episode for a person who is genetically predisposed, I don't think there is any peer-reviewed studies into this phenomena, nor real statistics.  And since the general news isn't replete with reports of ordinary people falling dead in their tracks after witnessing and/or experiencing incredibly stressful or frightning situations, I think we can file this away as "possible, but extremely, extremely rare".

one last response before heading back on topic! lol.

i agree, its probably rare, but its more than probable. but i would say its a little hard to research or peer review as you cant really kill people for research! lol, not only that but probably all people that die of this are just listed as heart attack victims and not only that but its a little hard to witness and quantify someone as dying of fright... example: i could be sat here now, hear a sudden loud noise or be shocked by a pet dog or cat in the dark as i open the door and die as a consequence, but when my body is found there would only be evidence for a heart attack! so with that in mind, it could happen more than we know...

thanks

rich

Valaquen

Scott wanted the mere presence of the creature to induce fear induced paralysis in its victims. He spoke about the sight of the creature causing heart attacks in a couple of interviews. OZ already provided one, here's one which wasn't on the blog: "run-ins with the Alien was always done to the ultimate feeling of a heart attack. The rush of a heart attack, even if the thing didn't ever touch [them]." He expressed this through the sound design [the screeching and such that plays when the Alien attacks, the heartbeat that plays prior to its every appearance - even the sound of the Nostromo's engine are synthesised like a heart beat: 'you're never aware of it,' said Scott, 'but it starts to work on you.']

KirklandSignature

Alright then so no tail rape, I didn't want Alien to be some wierd rip-off of tentacle rape from Japan,sh*t grosses me out.

I heard somewhere that Ridley was quoted something along the lines of "the aliens in this film will do perverse things". What do you think he meant by that?

whiterabbit

perverse things == tentacle rape

I really can't seeing it being anything else.

deepelemblues

Hi, found this place looking for a good spot to read news and such about Prometheus, I noticed something at the very end of the trailer (when it's just a black screen with "Prometheus" then the release date, when the distorted video cuts in for a split-second and then does it again), it kept poking at the back of my mind, and now that I've watched Alien again last night, I remember where it's from: it's a frame from the videolink of Dallas talking to Ash while they're approaching the Derelict, when the signal kept getting interference.

The more I think about it, the list of references in the trailer belying Scott saying this isn't a true or direct Alien prequel gets bigger and bigger.

Ucdavisnum1

This is my first post, but I have been following these forums for a while.

Just rewatched the trailer and I am pretty sure that the "planet" at 0:32 into the trailer is really a moon.  And if it is really a moon,  I'm gonna guess its lv-426.  I have a hunch that Scott is throwing us some curve balls so we don't figure out the entire story and connecting point before its release,  which is why he's lying about the story occurring in a different area.  The "planet". They visit is definitely a moon,  you can clearly see a larger planet in the distance.

Glaive

Glaive

Quote from: deuterium on Dec 30, 2011, 11:51:37 PM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Dec 30, 2011, 11:25:06 PM
Fear induced heart attacks are actually fairly common, or, commonly reported...in a situation where you're dealing with an alien creature, I can't imagine any other scenario happening.

Look I realize we are getting off topic, but sometimes a lot of interesting shit is discussed when things go off on a tangent.  This is a case in point.  Heck, that is why I love this forum/site.  We can be talking about one thing one moment, and someone brings up something interesting or intriguing, and then things veer off on a new tangent.  Never a dull moment.

Anyways, just playing "devils advocate" here.  It is funny to imagine dropping dead from sheer terror at being suddenly confronted by an Alien.  I mean, it is nightmare fuel, after all.  But with that said, it didn't happen to Brett, it didn't happen to Dallas, it didn't happen to Parker, it didn't happen to Ripley.  Yet somehow, Ridley Scott titillates us with reported comments that it probably happened to Lambert.  And if it could happen to anyone, I guess it would be Lambert.  She was already reeling on the edge of a full blown panic attack through most of the movie.

Anyways, like I said, interesting to discuss, in any event.

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Dec 30, 2011, 11:42:33 PM
What matters is that it's WAY within the confines of "can happen, has happened" so I think this is a moot point?

I guess that is my cue to get back on topic.  Point taken.    :(

I think death by fright is a fairly common thing; at least in the animal kingdom ...well maybe 'fright' isn't the right word, watch ANY leopard chasing gazelle scene...when the gazelle is in the leopard's jaws, mostly, it's dead.
True, some struggle for a time, but I believe that there's a ''GAME OVER'' switch in most mammals brains, to stop the inevitable 'eaten-alive' scenario...

Effectz

Effectz

Quote from: Glaive on Dec 31, 2011, 03:54:11 PM

I think death by fright is a fairly common thing; at least in the animal kingdom ...well maybe 'fright' isn't the right word, watch ANY leopard chasing gazelle scene...when the gazelle is in the leopard's jaws, mostly, it's dead.
True, some struggle for a time, but I believe that there's a ''GAME OVER'' switch in most mammals brains, to stop the inevitable 'eaten-alive' scenario...

Actually the game over switch for a Gazelle is when the leopard severs it's spinal cord with its canines.It is designed to ''dispatch''animals quickly,something it has evolved over millions of years.There is no ''GAME OVER' switch as you call it,every animal has a built in survival mechanism and will try to live,it doesnt just throw in the towel.

However,Dying of fright and shock are two different things.

Glaive

Glaive

Quote from: Effectz on Dec 31, 2011, 04:35:25 PM

Actually the game over switch for a Gazelle is when the leopard severs it's spinal cord with its canines.It is designed to ''dispatch''animals quickly,something it has evolved over millions of years.There is no ''GAME OVER' switch as you call it,every animal has a built in survival mechanism and will try to live,it doesnt just throw in the towel.

Not to be pedantic, but it's more suffocation, than spine-severance...hence the 'switch'...there comes a point where prey STOPS living that has NOTHING to do with predator.

Effectz

Effectz

Quote from: Glaive on Dec 31, 2011, 05:07:58 PM
Quote from: Effectz on Dec 31, 2011, 04:35:25 PM

Not to be pedantic, but it's more suffocation, than spine-severance...hence the 'switch'...there comes a point where prey STOPS living that has NOTHING to do with predator.

Suffocation is used in larger animals.It is common knowledge that a leopard is an ambush predator and attacks on humans are always from behind and aimed at the back of the neck.
http://animal.discovery.com/videos/im-alive-man-survives-leopard-attack.html

You are going to die from Trauma to your neck when you have 4 massive canines sinking into your jugular.When the animal stops living its due to massive blood loss and trauma/shock.

Im way off topic now sorry.

RabidNinja

In all fairness, the trailer seems quite dependant on the fan-base of the aliens franchise. We have to make our own assumptions of the trailer, let alone the film itself and had us use our collective knowledge of the AvP world to come to a conclusion. And with the help of the Analysis given by Darkness (Whom i wish to praise for his well thought out information which has now given off an adrenaline thrilled hype for me about the film), i have come to some of my own points about the trailer. For safetys sake, i will insert them as spoilers.

Spoiler
It is a likely case that the planet could very well be LV-426, as it is the only planet beknownst to the franchise as the only planet with a SJ(Space Jockey) crash. Granted that the landscape and positioning of the ship doesnt seem linear to how we found it in Alien/Aliens, the film was heard to be based very far from the timeline of Alien. Alongside that, we never saw the whole ship topple in its final position, yet the Alien ship appeared as a crash, And it is highly doubtable that a rolling over SJ ship could topple on its bottom and appear to of crashed.

Secondly, The idea that the Space Jockey(SJ)/Engineer(E) mix could very well be a twist in the film. However, i am more into the whole idea that the E and SJ could be different as the SJ exterior was made of a form of bone (Example Given Below)

"http://www.fmtaccess.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Ridley-reveals-Space-Jockey.jpg"

I am also very speculative about the apparentness of Shaw being pregnant with an alien. shown in the analysis, shes all bloodied, weak and so on. The Alien is known to be the only Monster in the world capable of such a life cycle, unless it could be an earlier version of a xenomorph...or something possibly worse.

I dont wish to convey my further ideas on what else the trailer could show, but i hope in a sense it will all be explained and how the SJ's know and relate to the human race, via the large human esque statue and the human-ish engineers.
[close]

ThisBethesdaSea

I think the way the Prometheus trailer has been cut would be just as effective for an unknowing audience as the original Alien trailer would be for an unknowing audience in 1979. The fanboys and girls may geek out about what we know, but that's just an unexpected bonus of the genetic crossing....err, I mean, that would only be a side effect. The trailer was made in a way so that it gets peoples interest without depending upon their viewing of Alien.

psychonaut25

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jan 01, 2012, 02:21:28 AM
I think the way the Prometheus trailer has been cut would be just as effective for an unknowing audience as the original Alien trailer would be for an unknowing audience in 1979. The fanboys and girls may geek out about what we know, but that's just an unexpected bonus of the genetic crossing....err, I mean, that would only be a side effect. The trailer was made in a way so that it gets peoples interest without depending upon their viewing of Alien.

And the main problem is that it is not a trailer, only a teaser...real trailer will follow...I think in march or later.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed