Aliens RPG officially cancelled

Started by funcroc, Jun 27, 2009, 12:23:30 AM

Author
Aliens RPG officially cancelled (Read 24,056 times)

funcroc

funcroc

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/obsidians-aliens-rpg-officially-finished/1492/
http://kotaku.com/5303155/its-officially-game-over-man-for-aliens-rpg

Quote from: Obsidian community's global moderatorHi guys, The Guildmaster here. Rumors have circled around a bit regarding the fate of the Aliens role playing game that Obsidian and SEGA had been working on. Unfortunately, it is true that we are no longer working on the game, and we wanted to finally announce that officially to everyone who has been following its development. We're going to keep this forum up for another week for archival purposes and to allow you guys to finish up any open threads, and then we will shut it down since it is no longer a product that is in development.

All of us here at Obsidian would like to thank you for your interest and support during its development, and we encourage you to check out the recent news about Alpha Protocol, which is coming to the PC, Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION 3 very soon!

Thanks,
-TG

Quote from: Sega PRAt this point, SEGA has no plans to move forward with the Aliens RPG. The Aliens franchise offers us so much content to choose from that we feel it important to take a step back and carefully consider the type of game we want to release. We plan to continue working with the Aliens franchise and ask fans to be patient and stay tuned for more information about what SEGA has coming out for the Aliens series of games, starting with the upcoming Alien vs. Predator game.  We are very excited about and focused on Alien vs. Predator, which promises gamers a fantastic single player game and an equally compelling multiplayer experience. We are confident that it provides all the excitement and fun that the Aliens and Predator fans are looking for!

Private Hudson

f**k f**k f**k f**k shit shit balls balls balls.

ikarop

ikarop

I want the real reason!

I hate when they say things like "At this point (...)".
I had the hope that SEGA eventually will pick it up even when we know It wasn't being worked on atm. The time-line of tittles was long enough to get this done after AP and some infos were pointing it in that way but sadly It's what it seems this time.

cloverfan98

If this is real, then I can't tell you how sad this makes me.

Darkness

Darkness

Can't say I'm surprised. I wish we'd have seen some footage or actual screenshots first.

Private W Hudson

Don't care about this game. Let's keep the FPS games going. :)

LONG LIVE ACM !

ikarop

ikarop

Quote from: Private W Hudson on Jun 27, 2009, 07:37:58 AM
Don't care about this game. Let's keep the FPS games going. :)

LONG LIVE ACM !

:( Don't get me agry

Vertigo

Vertigo

Really, really sad, although as has been said, not terribly surprising.
Obsidian are such an underrated developer - KOTOR2 was much better than the original game, and could have been an order of magnitude better if LucasArts had allowed them more than a freaking year and a half of development time.
They could really have done this game justice, and an RPG is a fresh, original take on the franchise. As much as I'm looking forward to Rebellion's AvP3, we've already had plenty of shooters.

ShadowPred

Not shocking, but this kinda sucks.

Vulhala

Vulhala

Yeah, but we kinda knew it was gonna get canned. To be honest though, from when I first heard about it I've never really gotten my head around it. I just couldn't see how they were gonna make that kind of game work in the Aliens Universe.

Quote from: Darkness on Jun 27, 2009, 07:30:55 AM
Can't say I'm surprised. I wish we'd have seen some footage or actual screenshots first.

I agree. It would be nice if they released some of what they have up to this point, so we could see where they were going with it.

rikiiy

rikiiy

just (hopefully) mod AVP3 into an RPG experience  ;)

Darkness

Darkness

Well, yeah, an RPG is an odd genre for the franchise. Just like RTS and Extinction was.

Drago-Morph

This is awful. Why are they going with the Shooters over this? To be honest, I will not get the satisfaction I want out of AvP 3, which looks to be the only game that will come out (I still have doubts about A:CM and this new news isn't helping). Shooters can be great, but no matter what they do, they will never match a good RPG.

Darkness

Darkness

The FPS genre is what made the series so great in the first place. Even today, people are still playing AvP2 despite them closing down all the servers.

Vulhala

Vulhala

Do you still play it Darkness?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed