"The Predator" VS "Predator Upgrade"

Started by Voodoo Magic, Dec 11, 2019, 09:03:09 PM

Author
"The Predator" VS "Predator Upgrade" (Read 3,448 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I really hate now having both "Predator" and "The Predator" as film titles. I've already personally witnessed it on several occasions cause confusion, and again today. I just wish they used the Predator Upgrade title worldwide. It would have been so much smarter. Cooler sounding even. >:(

SuperiorIronman

Subtitles are honestly things I wish the franchise went with seeing as every film despite some connective tissue stands on its own. Doing so would help cement a sort of anthology format which tends to be what this franchise is good at lacking an overarching villain or protagonist.

The Old One

The Old One

I certainly prefer "Upgrade" myself.

Voodoo Magic

Terminator Dark Fate was for the longest time just "Terminator".  The Predator.  The Thing.  Halloween.  There appears to be some strange prevailing thought that audiences will feel a sequel or prequel is fresher apparently, or a good jumping on point, if you title it like it's not a sequel. I do very loathe it so.

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Dec 12, 2019, 01:44:14 AM
Subtitles are honestly things I wish the franchise went with seeing as every film despite some connective tissue stands on its own. Doing so would help cement a sort of anthology format which tends to be what this franchise is good at lacking an overarching villain or protagonist.

Well said.

The Old One

The Old One

I understand the mentality behind it, but I think it's honestly only sensible for franchises past six films.

Wysps

Upgrade sounds better to me also. I know "The Predator" was used to make it sound like the upgrade was supposed to be the ultimate or gold standard of the Predator race, but it really was just a one-off - artificially designed for a purpose. I feel like a classic with superior fighting skills, brawn, intellect, etc. would have been much more fitting for the title of "The" Predator imo. But regardless, I agree - the use of "the" altogether is just....unnecessary?

Stitch

It makes it awkward when alphabetising things. Lots of programs ignore 'the', so the first and last movies then aren't distinguishable. Apart from by content and quality, obviously.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Predator: Upgrade (or) Predator Upgrade sound really stupid, cheesy and cheap...just like the movie.

Personally I'm fine with the title (The Predator) and didn't find it confusing. But I guess it might be confusing to the casual viewer.

Btw. what's wrong with Predator 4 (or) Predator IV? Heck, just call it The Last Predator or Predator: Ascension or something unoriginal like that and be done with it.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Stitch on Dec 15, 2019, 10:20:21 AM
It makes it awkward when alphabetising things. Lots of programs ignore 'the', so the first and last movies then aren't distinguishable. Apart from by content and quality, obviously.

Very true.

Predator
Predator, The

PsyKore

"Upgrade" might work better as a subtitle if the Predators themselves weren't worse than the originals. Otherwise it should be called "downgrade".

At least it makes some sense in the context of the story, I guess. Unlike "Requiem" which I'm pretty sure the strause brothers chose just because it sounds cool.

Voodoo Magic

I would love to know why in Germany it was called "Predator Upgrade", meaning who or what were all the deciding factors behind that.

Any fans from Deutschland here who can shed some light on the topic?

Samhain13

Samhain13

First movie was already called The Predator in my language (O Predador). They repeated that with this one. Suprising considering how they love adding pointless subtitles to movies' titles here. Thought they were going to add something like Evolution or whatever.

I would have prefered some type of official subtitle, I never had a problem with stuff like Requiem or Resurrection. Hope if there is a another they find a good title.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: PsyKore on Dec 16, 2019, 12:11:52 AM
"Upgrade" might work better as a subtitle if the Predators themselves weren't worse than the originals. Otherwise it should be called "downgrade".

At least it makes some sense in the context of the story, I guess. Unlike "Requiem" which I'm pretty sure the strause brothers chose just because it sounds cool.

Copied from Google;
noun
(especially in the Roman Catholic Church) a Mass for the repose of the souls of the dead.
a musical composition setting parts of a requiem Mass, or of a similar character.
an act or token of remembrance.

So basically we're all showing up to watch the people of Gunnison die horribly with Scar's act of getting facehugged spawning the Predalien. Nothing really to do with the film outside of that.

Corporal Hicks

From what I remember them mentioning, it was a case of they knew they wanted to call it AvPR to capitalize on the R rating and had to find a cool R word for the title.

Stitch

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 18, 2019, 03:57:53 PM
From what I remember them mentioning, it was a case of they knew they wanted to call it AvPR to capitalize on the R rating and had to find a cool R word for the title.
Revenge. Renegade. Rampage. Raw. Retaliation.

Just off the top of my head, and they're probably more fitting.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed