Cameron on Alien Covenant

Started by 0321recon, Aug 10, 2017, 09:55:22 PM

Author
Cameron on Alien Covenant (Read 59,788 times)

Highland

Highland

Cause 1991 is relevant.... and 1984. Never mind.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Gladiator, Black hawk Down, Thelma & Louise and The Martian are all great films. They possible are better made films than anything Cameron's ever made.

But nine times out of ten I'd would rather watch Aliens or Terminator/T2 over any of them. In those days Cameron was masterful at creating films that entertained, very few could equal him.

Rudiger

Rudiger

What I do like about Cameron is that he is never satisfied with what's possible. While I'm pretty sure the next Avatar movies won't be picking up too many "best film" nominations, I am genuinely excited to see what he has up his sleeve from a visual point of view. He's a game changer.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Rudiger on Aug 22, 2017, 08:14:09 AM
What I do like about Cameron is that he is never satisfied with what's possible. While I'm pretty sure the next Avatar movies won't be picking up too many "best film" nominations, I am genuinely excited to see what he has up his sleeve from a visual point of view. He's a game changer.

Yes this is true, he will certainly push the boundaries with the sequel. Hopefully it will have a story and scenes to match but I'm not hopeful. 

Rudiger

Rudiger

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Aug 22, 2017, 09:30:30 AM

Yes this is true, he will certainly push the boundaries with the sequel. Hopefully it will have a story and scenes to match but I'm not hopeful.

You can't have everything. Covenant being a case in point  ;)

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Hide on Aug 21, 2017, 06:01:52 AM
So, you guys think that Covenant is a better film than Titanic or Avatar?

Christ yes.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Rudiger on Aug 22, 2017, 10:00:13 AM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Aug 22, 2017, 09:30:30 AM

You can't have everything. Covenant being a case in point  ;)

This is true. I'd better find an Avatar forum just so I can tell everyone how rubbish the sequel is!  ;)

Rudiger

Rudiger

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Aug 22, 2017, 10:16:16 AM
This is true. I'd better find an Avatar forum just so I can tell everyone how rubbish the sequel is!  ;)

I should have a link somewhere...  :D

Quote from: Hide on Aug 21, 2017, 06:01:52 AM
So, you guys think that Covenant is a better film than Titanic or Avatar?

Definitely not.

Hemi

Hemi

Couldn't watch Avatar more then 15 min. I did watch Covenant from start to finish. So yeah, if you look at it that way... then I liked Covenant more?

:P

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Aug 11, 2017, 12:40:14 AM
Cameron is no stranger to negative flack when it comes to making a major change to a character in a sequel, considering the well known criticism by many fans for reducing the very mysterious Alien creature down to swarm of insects. But in all fairness to JC, insect characteristics were already associated to the alien creature before Alien 79 was even released, according to Shusett and O'Bannon

Its good to see others acknowledge the insect qualities that were there from the start. That unfortunately common excuse by the more irrational alien fans is silly. I believe everyone has the right to their opinion and can like and dislike a film all they want, but when they use hypocritical reasons. i.e hating Aliens for being buglike when Aliens were buglike in the first film is just nonsensical.

A lot of folk are saying Cameron is being more polite and soft these days as he has been giving good comments about films that have had serious flaws. I thought Cameron would be far more vocal on these matters considering who he is or who he was. I agree about his killing off characters comment, Prometheus may not have been the best but the least we could have got after that film is a decent resolution instead of a "swept under the rug" scenerio.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 22, 2017, 12:27:56 PM
A lot of folk are saying Cameron is being more polite and soft these days as he has been giving good comments about films that have had serious flaws.
Cameron is not being more polite; He's being pragmatic. This interview is a PR event to promote a project Cameron is personally involved with (as was his comment on Terminator:Genisys, for that matter). He's not going to use that stage to badmouth other films and filmmakers. He has a horse in this race. That's why when asked about Alien:Covenant, you can see the anguish on his face while trying to find nice things to say about it, and why the criticism he ends up throwing at the film in spite of everything should be seen as a lot more than what it actually is.

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Aug 22, 2017, 02:54:06 PM
A lot of folk are saying Cameron is being more polite and soft these days as he has been giving good comments about films that have had serious flaws.
Cameron is not being more polite; He's being pragmatic. This interview is a PR event to promote a project Cameron is personally involved with (as was his comment on Terminator:Genisys, for that matter). He's not going to use that stage to badmouth other films and filmmakers. He has a horse in this race. That's why when asked about Alien:Covenant, you can see the anguish on his face while trying to find nice things to say about it, and why the criticism he ends up throwing at the film in spite of everything should be seen as a lot more than what it actually is.

How anyone takes Cameron's opinions of other films seriously after making a promotional video for Genisys is beyond me.

Marcus9000

Marcus9000

Quote from: Alionic on Aug 21, 2017, 03:36:54 AM
Cameron hasn't made a good film since Terminator II. It's been, what, 26 years now?

Oh behave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Both Titanic and Avatar, while not the freshest ideas for the time are still well made and entertaining productions. Personally I find them both boring as f**k but a lot of people love them. However when I think back to the first two terminator films I can't but help say that they were perfect. I was 6 and 12 when T1 and T2 hit the theaters. T1 didn't really hit my radar for a long time. However the one thing I remember about T2 is how everyone was f**king satisfied by it.  You left the theater, or drive-in as the case was for me, feeling like that was the best 6 bucks ever spent. Then  much later, in the 2000's I decided to watch Terminator 1, at which point I thought to myself, holy shit this is from 1984. :P Killer machine(cyborg) that looks human sent via time travel by an evil AI. I could go on and on but it's a thrill ride. None of that "throwminator" shit either. The film feels real. Which is also part of the reason Aliens is so fulfilling as well.

I can't help but say, "To compose something so majestic, one could die happy" and I mean everyone who had a part in making the film. That's great work.

Alien: Covenant is by far better than Titanic and Avatar. Titanic didn't have anything new to add and Avatar story line is the "same old song". Worse of all it's so hard to get movies such as covenant. You know, those over zealous grandiose themes with monsters in them.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Aug 22, 2017, 02:54:06 PM

But why should I care? Cameron's opinion is of no importance to me. If he doesn't understand the significance of Shaw in the narrative despite her death that just confirms my view that his approach to storytelling is just too damn simplistic.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed