Do you think Chappie's performance affect Alien 5?

Started by Born Of Cold Light, Mar 08, 2015, 03:14:24 AM

Author
Do you think Chappie's performance affect Alien 5? (Read 2,600 times)

Born Of Cold Light

The idea has been bandied around in various threads but I don't know if there is a full discussion about it.  Simply put, do you think that Chappie's poor performance at the box office will affect the production of the next Alien film?

TimmyTurnersDad

Potentially, but I would hope that it won't hinder Blomkamp too much. I just hope that it'll be a nice indicator to him and the studio that it might be in everyone's best interest to let someone else adapt his treatment into a script and let him focus on the directing of the film.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Chappie was a fine movie, it just needed a better script in my opinion.

Jarac

I think it'll indicate that he has great ideas, but he REALLY needs someone else to write his scripts.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

We'll see how much it does. Its budget is 49 million dollars -- not that hard to double, let alone recover.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Yeah, don't forget that tiny place outside the US border called "The Rest of the World."

Son Of Kane

Quote from: Jarac on Mar 08, 2015, 03:37:58 AM
I think it'll indicate that he has great ideas, but he REALLY needs someone else to write his scripts.

This.

Nightmare Asylum

Content wise, I don't see Chappie affecting Alienkamp at all. Chappie and the Alien films are so far apart in terms of tone and style that it's impossible to gauge what this new Alien film might be like based on Chappie (or District 9 and Elysium, for that matter).

As far as performance goes, they probably won't be slapping "From the director of Chappie" on the poster, but then, the Alien series sells itself. There's no way this isn't going to do well at the box office, no matter who they got to helm it.

Xenomorphine

No.

Also, the director hasn't really attempted this genre. 'District 9' has some elements, but it's creature feature territory and not an out-and-out horror.

The Cruentus

It depends, one poor film doesn't make him a bad director, Cameron = Piranha 2 and Tim Burton = Dark Shadows.
It there is a continued streak, then yeah, maybe we can be worried but his other films have been good so far besides a film production is not simple, things go wrong, people interfere and so on, so its not always the fault of the director.

I'm guessing a few people around here may have had their faith shaken by Chappie's reviews.

Magegg

Mmmh, no, most people don't mind the director, word of mouth is what gonna affect the performance.

thecaffeinatedone

thecaffeinatedone

Nightmare Asylum

For future reference, the URL tags ([url] [/ url] without the space after the /) are used to embed YouTube videos into posts. Gave the link in your post a fix for you. :)

thecaffeinatedone

I got that a few times, only had the
youtube.com/embed/
code each time.

A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus

As others have said: He's a great director, but a mediocre (at best) writer.

Hopefully this serves as a wake up call for him that he needs help.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed