What are the good things about The Predator that you liked?

Started by Master Chief, Dec 19, 2018, 05:11:33 PM

Author
What are the good things about The Predator that you liked? (Read 24,639 times)

Master Chief

I liked the opening space scene chase and how the Ultimate Predator was communicating with its HQ. The subtitles were a nice touch.  My absolute favorite part of the film is when the Ultimate Predator killed Fugitive (I can't stand traitors).  It showed how terrifying and dangerous it really was!

Voodoo Magic

I still have to watch it again but without a doubt for me I love Sterling K. Brown as Traeger.  He just chews up the scenery for me and is a blast to watch.

I really liked the ships too. The Fugitive Escape. And a great deal of the battle with the Upgrade/Assasin was fun. That razor wire that lopped off those poor troops heads? Ouch!!

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

I liked THE PREDATOR only when it WAS a predator film in fleeting parts.

The opening PREDATOR ship dogfight in outerspace was spectacular and seeing a predator ship interior is always a nice touch. I personally like it, a trend started by ALIEN VS PREDATOR (I'm talking AVP aesthetic of hologram lazer wrist HUDs rather than the tribal fog of PREDATOR 2).
Was a real wow moment in the cinema with the volume up too loud.

The pre-mission banter and possibility of executed hostages falsely suggested an adult tone.

Seeing the first skinned corpse dangled in the woods gave me chills, not due to fright or disgust, but because I knew PREDATOR had returned to the big screen. I wondered what the fuss was about with a "trouble shoot".

The lead character accidentally activating predator tech to survive his first encounter with a predator. Was clumsy enough to suggets a fluke but was cool and plausible deniability why he didn't have to "do a Dutch" or get killed in his first encounter. That's why I hate PREDATOR-2 because that film the predator was running away from the protagonist. One "shameful sequel" style reviewer said it was because Danny Glovers character wasn't a worthy trophy and kept spoiling his hunt.

The impending threat of PREDATOR dogs (hear me out). Again a nice reuse of the concept from PREDATORS and I thought we might get a suspenseful scene and sense of perile and danger. But no it belly flopped and the dog immediately became comic relief pets and inventory containers (sorry this is a positivity thread).

Fugative PREDATOR breaking out of project stargazer and going ballastic. Amazing scene but peeved unarmed scientist were portrayed as being killed. Maybe a focus on non lethal force just because someone had a surgical instrument.
Cool the PREDATOR kind of understood how guns worked and not out of the realm of possibility considering predators use spearguns.

The takedown of upgrade predator in the jungle. Absolutely brutal exchange...............until the spaceship take-off. Then our cast had plot kryptonite where upgrade throws them around like annoying stepchildren rather than dispatching them in a millisecond like the mercenaries or the crazies.

AVP references. The Alexa Xenomorph Tailspear and the predator Shruken (most popularly recalled from AVP-R despite featured in AVP as well during the Queen Alien battle- pic from AVP 2004 below).
[

20th Century Fox were dumb to go with the PREDATOR killer imo, rather than a mooted AVP tie-in to the point completely new AVP props were designed. Then again they weren't ready to suggest AVP and AVP-R were really worth burying the Ridley Scott Prometheus continuity despite so obviously wanting a MARVEL style universe.
But a spiritual association with Iron Man? Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Kurgan

The escape scene was nice. Fugitive starting with his bare hands, strapped down and still managed to break out.
Also while Fugitives armor was pretty generic sci-fi stuff, I liked that he wore nearly full body armor. It was not just a hunt after all.
Loved the Loonies. Not sure if they really fit into a Predator movie for me, but I liked them and their interaction.

D88M

Well, the first act despite being butchered was not 100% awful and was heading somewhere maybe interesting, so there is that.

Highland

The new space travel bit was cool. The build up at the start was decent. The Fugitive Pred was good in the lab. That's about it.

PsyKore

I dunno, there's things I don't like even about the parts I do like. :laugh: I just find it to be a double-edged sword in many ways.

The opening space battle, for instance, is great, but then he opens a rift to earth which feels a little too close to Star Trek for my liking.

The Cruentus

The escape scene for sure, although I don't see the killing of unarmed scientist as dishonorable for the Fugitive as he is not on a hunt, he was imprisoned and the scientist were obstacles.

BigDaddyJohn

The blood dripping on fugitive's face, f**king great directing, great idea that a lot of people seem to conveniently forgot to downgrade the film. In the 80's, everyone would have yelled "masterpiece" after this scene. Very tribal and comic-bookish ! Upgrade's body language was cool, most of the loonies deaths were memorable. And obviously the overall irreverence of Shane Black's tone.

Wysps

Getting to see the Upgrade communicate with the Fugitive and humans.  Also the lab scene with the Fugitive and his escape. 

ChanceVance

Fugitive escape as many have pointed out. To add on I think it was good to see a Predator being resourceful in using it's mandibles and bare hands as weapons plus using an Assault Rifle when convenient.

Thought Olivia Munn was a bad casting choice but she handled her role really well.

Huggs

Just finished it. There were only two things in the movie I liked.

1. Baxley pointing at the predator and saying "Alien".

2. Baxley descending into his c*ck tantrum when the predator is on top of the bus. It was wondrous.

Everything else sucked big time.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: ChanceVance on Dec 21, 2018, 02:16:35 AM
Fugitive escape as many have pointed out. To add on I think it was good to see a Predator being resourceful in using it's mandibles and bare hands as weapons plus using an Assault Rifle when convenient.

Yes, I agree!  It was great to see both the Fugitive and the Assassin use their mandibles in attack. It's interesting because it's so simple, yet seemed so clever.

QuoteThought Olivia Munn was a bad casting choice but she handled her role really well.

Indeed. She definitely did a solid job.

Corporal Hicks

The main pluses about the film were all the cast and characters. I thought they carried the movie. Really enjoyed the interactions and dialogue between the two. Absolutely hilarious.

Predator-wise, I love love loved the escape from the lab. It was great actually getting to see a Predator use one of our weapons. I think Brian & Kyle nailed it as the Fugitive. Also really dug Quantum's armour design. Loved the feudal look.

The Old One

The Old One

Brian Prince's performance.

The Loonies potential.

Sterling K Brown's performance.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed