Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 13, 2019, 02:32:05 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat! (Read 60,918 times)

SM

It's not so simple as removing his name from it and continuing on.  The first issue was supposed to be released month so it was very likely complete.  At least the first four issues are scripted, and covers have been done.  You can't just remove his name if you're going to use the script he wrote.

Engineer

Quote from: SM on Sep 04, 2019, 08:22:30 PM
It's not so simple as removing his name from it and continuing on.  The first issue was supposed to be released month so it was very likely complete.  At least the first four issues are scripted, and covers have been done.  You can't just remove his name if you're going to use the script he wrote.

^^ 100% this
The intellectual property still has Brian Woods name attached. He could sue if they use it and just remove his name. They'll need to start that series over from scratch basically. Hence why cancellation of rising threat would make most sense. Whatever new project replaces it will be completely different.

SM

I don't think it'll be completely different, but they'd need a new writer to be given the concept and how it will tie in to the game and start their own version of it from scratch.

Engineer

I guess I should have clarified. Lol what ever Brian Woods contributions were would have to be completely different...

There's things that would ultimately be the same such as the inclusion of Olivia Shipp, other recurring characters and whatever story elements were threads from Rescue and the upcoming video game...

SM

No threads from Rescue, but otherwise correct.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Ok. Knew about that game, didn't realize it was going to tie in with other EU materials. 

Prez

Aside from Image Comics (artist owned comics) then I assume Dark Horse would probably own all the current IP. Still though the whole naming situation does remain. Perhaps part of Woods severance deal was him forfeiting all current IP on his written work and the removal of his name from it. I've seen this type of thing happen in the creative industry - seen it first hand.

Engineer

Quote from: Prez on Sep 05, 2019, 04:43:35 AM
Aside from Image Comics (artist owned comics) then I assume Dark Horse would probably own all the current IP. Still though the whole naming situation does remain. Perhaps part of Woods severance deal was him forfeiting all current IP on his written work and the removal of his name from it. I've seen this type of thing happen in the creative industry - seen it first hand.

This isn't the case here, hence the cancellation of the series.

Prez

Quote from: Engineer on Sep 05, 2019, 01:02:57 PM
Quote from: Prez on Sep 05, 2019, 04:43:35 AM

This isn't the case here, hence the cancellation of the series.

Fair point.

Hudson

Hudson

Good Lord. Seems like anything with "Colonial Marines" in the title is either destined to be total garbage, be helmed by a scumbag, or both.

I wish I could say this whole thing surprises me, but I guess it was just a matter of time before the Alien franchise, in some context or other, was revealed to be just like everything else: put someone in charge who can turn a profit regardless of their personal character behind the curtains, because money!

The first thing we should hope for is that the victims can move on with at least some closure and peace of mind, knowing that this asshole isn't going to be in a position of power over anyone else who's vulnerable, hopefully ever again.

Unless there's a Cleveland Browns of comic book publishing, and they're willing to take him on at a discount regardless of the pain he has caused.

EDIT:

And the Cleveland Browns of comic book publishing is "Terrific Production LLC"

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09/04/terrific-production-llc-interested-in-brian-wood-for-youngblood/

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Hudson on Sep 06, 2019, 07:27:15 PM
Good Lord. Seems like anything with "Colonial Marines" in the title is either destined to be total garbage, be helmed by a scumbag, or both.

Well, let's be honest... The basic concept of the Colonial Marines has been copied into infinity in films and computer games, ever since 1986, but virtually every attempt has been incredibly superficial, forgetting what made Cameron's attempt work so well was the sense of realism. It worked in spite of the one-liners and cocky grins, not because of them. This was also why the 'Colonial Marines Technical Guide' was written so memorably well.

It's also why their successor, the United Systems Military, was portrayed as hopelessly inept. Whedon later again tried his hand at writing the military in the fourth series of 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' and it was just as hopelessly cheesy and comical in tone. The same goes for the idiotic tone of the 'Starship Troopers' and 'Doom' film adaptations.

It's the difference between Michael Bay's 'Pearl Harbour' and the classic 'Tora! Tora! Tora!'.

So, even if it's an officially licenced Fox product, such a concept's odds are rarely going to be in its favour unless you get someone relatively well versed at believable portrayals of military life. Doesn't have to be an attempt at a contemporary military classic, but it does need someone who understands what does and doesn't work (as with any other occupation a story might possibly revolve around).

Otherwise, it runs the risk of becoming a 'Team America' without the humour - as Pitchford's game proved.

Still Collating...

I'd also like for more realistic depictions of the military in the Alien series in the future.

SM

The depiction of the marines in Life & Death was decent enough. In fact I think you'd find that they're done pretty well in most instances.

They get dragged down by the Gearbox game and original comic series.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed