Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 179,970 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Magegg

That's a non-news.

We all knew the buyout was proposed last December and the approvation process takes up 12-18 months, so...

Corporal Hicks

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fox-m-a-comcast-exclusive/exclusive-comcast-prepares-all-cash-bid-to-gate-crash-disney-fox-deal-sources-idUSKBN1I82I7

Quote(Reuters) - U.S. cable operator Comcast Corp is asking investment banks to increase a bridge financing facility by as much as $60 billion so it can make an all-cash offer for the media assets that Twenty-First Century Fox Inc has agreed to sell to Walt Disney Co for $52 billion, three people familiar with the matter said on Monday.

Via RidgeTop.

Nukiemorph

So people here complain about Comcast as a cable company... but don't they own Universal Studios?  Couldn't Universal be a good home for our two favorite R-rated sci-fi horror franchises?

Corporal Hicks

On the surface it'd seem more of a suitable home for Alien and Predator than anything Disney owned.

Perfect-Organism

I'd love another Disney style film like Aliens.  For all intents and purposes that was an adult fairy tale just like Pan's Labyrinth.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 08, 2018, 07:32:42 AM
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fox-m-a-comcast-exclusive/exclusive-comcast-prepares-all-cash-bid-to-gate-crash-disney-fox-deal-sources-idUSKBN1I82I7

Quote(Reuters) - U.S. cable operator Comcast Corp is asking investment banks to increase a bridge financing facility by as much as $60 billion so it can make an all-cash offer for the media assets that Twenty-First Century Fox Inc has agreed to sell to Walt Disney Co for $52 billion, three people familiar with the matter said on Monday.

Via RidgeTop.

Interesting... I thought the sale of Fox (except for Fox News Corp) to Disney was already a done deal.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 08, 2018, 07:46:46 AM
On the surface it'd seem more of a suitable home for Alien and Predator than anything Disney owned.

It's also possible they might give the Alien franchise higher priority than Disney might. Disney already owns so many huge IP's that generate tremendous amounts of revenue that they will obviously focus on those. Also no issue with generating and distributing R-rated content under the Universal Studios banner.

whiterabbit

Quote from: necrotard on May 08, 2018, 07:41:34 AM
So people here complain about Comcast as a cable company... but don't they own Universal Studios?  Couldn't Universal be a good home for our two favorite R-rated sci-fi horror franchises?
I doubt it is any different elsewhere but there really isn't any good cable company in the US. Still it makes sense for them to try and buy fox. There isn't really all that much left in the world to buy in the entertainment market if you think about it. There'd be no point in waiting.

SM

Can't imagine Disney would let X-Men go.

whiterabbit

That is true but we're going to see just how much they really want it now. If I'm in Comcast shoes, they should put up a decent fight to secure the content. Not that I want them to have any of it but you can't let a once in a lifetime deal go by the waist side.

Local Trouble

Comcast could always sell the various Marvel IPs back to Disney, couldn't they?

whiterabbit

Indeed and that could be part of their new strategy. However by the time the bids balloon what would be the point. I think it's an all or nothing deal. Let's be honest, when will the next time any of these properties be back up for purchase? This is take or leave it moment.

SM

It's not just X-Men, in the right hands they could do something with Fantastic Four.

Plus Cameron's got them Avatar flicks.

Nukiemorph

Nerdy fantasy: Disney sells Alien to Warner Brothers, then Alien movies can more bluntly reference Blade Runner and legitimately tie the franchises together.

SM

You can't legitimately tie those franchises together.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed